Over the past few years we've encountered many companies that have started out on the path of rolling their own logging solution. Rolling your own solution contains a number of hidden costs and time sucks. As these systems become more complex, more time is required by the engineers who built them in order to maintain and manage these. We’ve also noticed that, overtime, these systems start off...
Lucene 4.8 is moving to Java 7, which will force many downstream projects (projects that rely on Lucene, like Hibernate Search) to consider migrating to Java 7 themselves, in some cases updating from Java 5 or earlier. While it's probably unwise to consider jumping all the way to Java 8, it's worth considering under what conditions a Java 8 plunge would be ideal for upstream libraries.
In order to be successful at mobile app testing, testers need to be up to date with the latest in the mobile world. We have gathered four articles looking at what’s happening in the mobile application environment today and how to approach testing from a tester’s perspective: http://www.neotys.com/blog/how-to-approach-mobile-app-testing/
GlobalSign has offered to give a free wildcard SSL certificate for qualified open source projects, as a way of supporting open source and as a way to encourage adoption of industry best practices.
Java Platform, Standard Edition 8 (Java SE 8) is a major feature release and is now generally available. It contains new features and enhancements in many functional areas. Java SE 8 delivers enhanced developer productivity and significant application performance increases through reduced boilerplate code, improved collections and annotations, simpler parallel programming models and more...
If you're annoyed that GlassFish commercial support is going the way of the dodo, then check out how you can get started easily with the only other enterprise open-source app servers out there: JBoss and TomEE...
A couple of weeks ago I wrote about the new Shenandoah GC collector from Redhat’s Roman Kenneke and Christine Flood. I managed to grab a quick hour or two today to see if it would just run out of the box against PCGen – a large and complex Swing application...
NetBeans IDE 8.0 provides out-of-the-box code analyzers and editors for working with the latest Java 8 technologies--Java SE 8, Java SE Embedded 8, and Java ME Embedded 8.
You may have heard that MongoDB has issues with scaling out. Have you heard that MongoHQ has to scale up?
There are some companies who still haven’t considered load testing their website or mobile application. Maybe it’s because they don’t get a lot of traffic to their site or maybe their mobile app has just been released and only has a small number of users. If you have been getting by not load testing your website, you’ve been very lucky. But how long can that lucky streak really last? Read on...
User experience can boost or kill your revenue. Unhappy users are likely to abandon a service they struggle with and go to your competitors. To effectively manage the experience of your users, you need to efficiently monitor and understand their transactions in your mobile, web and enterprise applications. More importantly, and often overlooked, the practice of User Experience Management (UEM)...
TheServerSide.com is an online community for enterprise Java architects and developers, providing daily news, tech talk interviews with key industry figures, design patterns, discussion forums, tutorials, and more. TheServerSide.com was launched in May 2000 and has become the largest independent Java community in the world. TheServerSide.com is owned and operated by TechTarget. TechTarget's Application Development Media Group of sites include TheServerSide.Net, SearchWinDevelopment.com, Ajaxian.com, SearchSOA.com, ebizQ.net, SearchSoftwareQuality.com and TheServerSide.com.
- Events & Conferences
- ITKnowledge Exchange
- Java Topics
- Meet The Editors
- White Papers
- Creating pages based on a JSF template: Using the Facelets ui:define tag (20 Jul 2014) What do you do once you've set up a handsome page template using the Facelets functions that come...
- Template based web design with JSF Facelets: ui:insert versus ui:include (20 Jul 2014) When creating a web page template with JSF, a developer needs to know the difference between...
- Turning a web page into a JSF 2.0 template with Facelets (19 Jul 2014) How do you take a web page and turn it into a template using Facelets as the template engine? It...
- An introduction to template building with Facelets, CSS, HTML and JSF 2.2 (19 Jul 2014) Facelets is a great technology for creating templates for websites and then adding dynamic...
- Visualization techniques revolutionize modern business intelligence gathering (06 Jul 2014) With so much data to be analyzed, organizations want a new way to be able to conceptualize the...
- Android: The Next Generation (13 Jul 2014) Google continues to invest in and improve their flagship mobile operating system, and the latest...
- From Tango to the NDK: Further exploration of the Google I/O exhibitors hall (03 Jul 2014) Be it previews of products like Tango which create 3D images of your surrounding, to demonstrations...
- One way to get (Android) Fit - Touring the exhibit hall at Google I/O 2014 (03 Jul 2014) At Google I/O 2014, many new products got honorable mentions during the opening keynotes. But the...
- Open source support gives older software a fighting chance (27 Jun 2014) The Eclipse Foundation's Wayne Beaton discusses open source support for established software.
- 15 Jul 2014
- Dan Sullivan - author and systems architect
- Tom Nolle - president CIMI Corp.
Tell us what you think of the new site. Meet the Editors.