I’ve been doing a continuous delivery talk for a while now and during my talk I describe a pattern for safely migrating one database to another without downtime. Since many people contacted me and asked for more details about it, I will describe it here in more details as promised. You can use this pattern to migrate between two different databases, for instance between MySql and MongoDB or...
Hadoop is an Apache Software Foundation project. It is the open source version inspired by Google MapReduce and Google File System. In this example, we are going to demonstrate the second component of Hadoop framework called MapReduce and we will do so by Word Count Example (Hello World program of the Hadoop Ecosystem) but first we shall understand what MapReduce actually is.
What happens when a one day course hosted on virtual machines doesn't have the required software pre-configured? In a case like this, it's Bitnami to the rescue.
Naturally you’ve built perhaps thousands of test cases to help give you confidence in the performance of your system. Maybe you are even stringing them together in a modular/unit test fashion, leveraging the power of an automation-capable performance test library. But you can’t run everything, every day. So how do you ensure that you are getting good performance test coverage?
Learn how OACC's latest feature simplifies integrating your application with this powerful open-source Java security framework.
Oracle recently launched Oracle Management Cloud, a cloud-based integrated monitoring, management and analytics solutions for IT operations. This blog provides an overview of Oracle Management Cloud.
This article reviews Neo4j, which is probably the most popular open source graph database.
In honor of ZK's ten-year anniversary, ZK Team has launched its first-ever Data-Handler Contest. This is the perfect opportunity for Java users and ZKers to prove their skills, showcase their talents and explore their potential. Prizes include exclusive ZK-themed souvenirs and a brand new Apple Watch.
Sequential method calls inevitably mean temporal coupling, which is a bottleneck for effective refactoring; avoid them
In this post I really want to show you some of the situations where a dynamic language is preferable over a static one and try to make you actually think about the choice more carefully, the next time you encounter a problem that requires whipping up some code quickly.
In this tutorial you’ll learn how to connect to an external RESTful API using Jersey client, as well as how to configure the client using Dropwizard YAML configuration file. In addition, you’ll get acquainted with Open Exchange Rates real-life API.
Earlier this year, we released our annual Developer Productivity report. It was based off a performance survey which collected responses from over 1500 developers, testers, architects, and many more interestingly named job titles. In this post we look at some of the report insights and answers the following questions: which tools find the highest number of bugs and should you be using more...
TheServerSide.com is an online community for enterprise Java architects and developers, providing daily news, tech talk interviews with key industry figures, design patterns, discussion forums, tutorials, and more. TheServerSide.com was launched in May 2000 and has become the largest independent Java community in the world. TheServerSide.com is owned and operated by TechTarget. TechTarget's Application Development Media Group of sites include TheServerSide.Net, SearchWinDevelopment.com, Ajaxian.com, SearchSOA.com, ebizQ.net, SearchSoftwareQuality.com and TheServerSide.com.
- Events & Conferences
- ITKnowledge Exchange
- Java Topics
- Meet The Editors
- White Papers
- Excellent programming is about function, not form (11 May 2016) Are language architects, or would-be language architects, doing a disservice to Java by...
- Five tips to improve an offshore team (29 Apr 2016) Using an offshore team can save time and money, but if used ineffectively, they can cost more than...
- Overcome inherent bottlenecks in app lifecycle management (02 May 2016) The software development world is simply too busy to have inefficient ALM. Expert Gerie Owen...
- Make predictive monitoring effective for your organization (10 May 2016) The ability to anticipate an issue with predictive monitoring outweighs the value of performance...
- Backend system integration the new mobile development challenge (14 Apr 2016) While developing a fun UI was once the biggest hurdle facing mobile development teams, the new...
- Moving beyond the virtualization tool with DevOps containers (01 Apr 2016) Virtualization has been a pivotal tool for organizations wanting to simplify both development and...
- Designing Web apps and Web UIs for software developers (08 Apr 2016) Interested in designing Web apps? Here are some UX design tips that will garner them great feedback...
- Improving Web app performance as simple as embracing HTTP/2 (11 Apr 2016) Learn about how the rapidly growing HTTP/2 protocol can improve Web app performance and reduce...
- Lasting impacts of software failure and poor application performance (12 Apr 2016) Customers have a short memory and lots of alternatives, so organizations must ensure that poor...
- Using BackOps to improve software development processes (20 Apr 2016) Learn how BackOps understands different personality types and can improve the software development...