If you're annoyed that GlassFish commercial support is going the way of the dodo, then check out how you can get started easily with the only other enterprise open-source app servers out there: JBoss and TomEE...
A couple of weeks ago I wrote about the new Shenandoah GC collector from Redhat’s Roman Kenneke and Christine Flood. I managed to grab a quick hour or two today to see if it would just run out of the box against PCGen – a large and complex Swing application...
NetBeans IDE 8.0 provides out-of-the-box code analyzers and editors for working with the latest Java 8 technologies--Java SE 8, Java SE Embedded 8, and Java ME Embedded 8.
You may have heard that MongoDB has issues with scaling out. Have you heard that MongoHQ has to scale up?
There are some companies who still haven’t considered load testing their website or mobile application. Maybe it’s because they don’t get a lot of traffic to their site or maybe their mobile app has just been released and only has a small number of users. If you have been getting by not load testing your website, you’ve been very lucky. But how long can that lucky streak really last? Read on...
User experience can boost or kill your revenue. Unhappy users are likely to abandon a service they struggle with and go to your competitors. To effectively manage the experience of your users, you need to efficiently monitor and understand their transactions in your mobile, web and enterprise applications. More importantly, and often overlooked, the practice of User Experience Management (UEM)...
Java 8 is packed full of really exciting features at both the JVM and language level. Here are 5 features that we feel are an absolute must for you to know about
Human brain doesn’t reason about concurrent programs behavior well. Even simple examples of concurrent Java programs can be puzzling. Look how JCStress, a Java concurrency test framework, allows you to write concise tests to verify programs correctness under concurrent execution.
This is the second part of a two part series. In part 1, I covered how important clocks are and how bad clocks can be in virtualized systems (like Amazon EC2) today. In today’s installment, I’m going to cover some disadvantages of off-the-shelf NTP installations, and how to overcome them. I'll wrap up with the solution we use and how it works for us:...
Cassandra is a highly-distributable NoSQL database with tunable consistency. What makes it highly distributable makes it also, in part, vulnerable: the whole deployment must run on synchronized clocks. In the first part of this two part series, I’ll cover how important clocks are and how bad clocks can be in virtualized systems (like Amazon EC2) today. In the next installment I’ll go over some...
Version 3.2.1 of LMAX Disruptor now ready for download on Maven Central, complete with build and IDE updates.
TheServerSide.com is an online community for enterprise Java architects and developers, providing daily news, tech talk interviews with key industry figures, design patterns, discussion forums, tutorials, and more. TheServerSide.com was launched in May 2000 and has become the largest independent Java community in the world. TheServerSide.com is owned and operated by TechTarget. TechTarget's Application Development Media Group of sites include TheServerSide.Net, SearchWinDevelopment.com, Ajaxian.com, SearchSOA.com, ebizQ.net, SearchSoftwareQuality.com and TheServerSide.com.
- Events & Conferences
- ITKnowledge Exchange
- Java Topics
- Meet The Editors
- White Papers
- Creating pages based on a JSF template: Using the Facelets ui:define tag (20 Jul 2014) What do you do once you've set up a handsome page template using the Facelets functions that come...
- Template based web design with JSF Facelets: ui:insert versus ui:include (20 Jul 2014) When creating a web page template with JSF, a developer needs to know the difference between...
- Turning a web page into a JSF 2.0 template with Facelets (19 Jul 2014) How do you take a web page and turn it into a template using Facelets as the template engine? It...
- An introduction to template building with Facelets, CSS, HTML and JSF 2.2 (19 Jul 2014) Facelets is a great technology for creating templates for websites and then adding dynamic...
- Visualization techniques revolutionize modern business intelligence gathering (06 Jul 2014) With so much data to be analyzed, organizations want a new way to be able to conceptualize the...
- Android: The Next Generation (13 Jul 2014) Google continues to invest in and improve their flagship mobile operating system, and the latest...
- From Tango to the NDK: Further exploration of the Google I/O exhibitors hall (03 Jul 2014) Be it previews of products like Tango which create 3D images of your surrounding, to demonstrations...
- One way to get (Android) Fit - Touring the exhibit hall at Google I/O 2014 (03 Jul 2014) At Google I/O 2014, many new products got honorable mentions during the opening keynotes. But the...
- Open source support gives older software a fighting chance (27 Jun 2014) The Eclipse Foundation's Wayne Beaton discusses open source support for established software.
Tell us what you think of the new site. Meet the Editors.