With Java 8, lambdas were introduced to the Java language; but at a bytecode level, nothing changed! We’re still utilizing the existing invokedynamic functionality added in Java 7. So does this mean we can run lambdas on Java 7?
Static code analysis is a great and cheap way to improve the quality of your code in a sustainable way. But what if you'd look at this part like it was about building future-proof unit tests - whenever you find a code bug you add something that makes sure that this type of bug never appears again - in any of your projects?
At Big Data Techcon 2014, Cloudera’s Jonathan Steidman explained how Hadoop could help the enterprise expand its data infrastructure and access better business intelligence.
New releases of Satoris, Simz and Stenos that now replicate both execution behavior as well as contextual data across time and space.
One of the key new features introduced in Java 8 is parallel array operations. How fast is this thing, and when should I use it?
The humble log has largely been thought of as a data source that is there “just in case” there is a problem. Generally logs have only ever been accessible by the chosen few, who sit in the engine room of the system looking at at log events flying past all day long. However, there is a wealth of information contained in your log data which is useful for use cases beyond debugging or security. Find...
The infamous Oscar selfie of Ellen and other celebs broke a record of 2 million retweets before midnight, March 2, and Twitter came crashing down for a record 20 minutes. And this despite the fact that Twitter built their own Load Testing tool, IAGO in 2012. So why did Twitter build its own tool and what does that have to do with your decision to use homegrown versus vendor load testing tools?...
I wrote this blog to highlight the architectural and performance problems that come with using frameworks without properly configuring them for your use case. The application in question was a customized SharePoint app using Telerik controls. Even though performance was good under normal load conditions we found several architectural issues that most likely bring the SharePoint cluster down under...
The road has been long - two years, seven months and eighteen days, to be precise - but Java 8 is finally a working reality. In this interview, Georges Saab, Vice President of Software Development in the Java Platform Group at Oracle, gives us an insider account of the “conservative” development of what’s been declared “the most significant release of Java in the past 10 years”.
By tracing transactions as they traverse your stack, you can identify root cause and solve the issue. How to find that trace is the big question. Here I'll show you how to insert a unique identifier to trace transactions across multiple tiers and how you can view these events in one uber interface. Read on to learn how:...
Did you know that on an average app there are about 4000 as many Exception objects thrown than log messages written? We analyzed this on an enterprise application and highlight the performance and functional problems that come with having too many Exceptions that nobody is actually aware off.
TheServerSide.com is an online community for enterprise Java architects and developers, providing daily news, tech talk interviews with key industry figures, design patterns, discussion forums, tutorials, and more. TheServerSide.com was launched in May 2000 and has become the largest independent Java community in the world. TheServerSide.com is owned and operated by TechTarget. TechTarget's Application Development Media Group of sites include TheServerSide.Net, SearchWinDevelopment.com, Ajaxian.com, SearchSOA.com, ebizQ.net, SearchSoftwareQuality.com and TheServerSide.com.
- Events & Conferences
- ITKnowledge Exchange
- Java Topics
- Meet The Editors
- White Papers
- Advanced JSF Tutorial: The single page interface (SPI) with Facelets, Ajax and HTML5 (07 Sep 2014) Some say it's impossible, but if you really understand the technology, you will realize that...
- Top 5 DevOps best practices for achieving security, scalability and performance (07 Sep 2014) How do you get the most out of your applications? One way is to adopt a DevOps approach to...
- Is PaaS as dangerous as it seems? Cloudbees bust some cloud computing myths (07 Sep 2014) Is cloud computing as dangerous as it seems? From open source do-it-yourself types to organizations...
- From writing code to EMT: A CTO's journey (04 Sep 2014) Making the move from writing code to becoming an EMT was the best training for success as a CTO.
- How Apple's restrictive app store policies are driving Android platform adoption (31 Aug 2014) Wouldn't it stink to create a great mobile application, only to have Apple reject it from being...
- This is where to turn when friends ask you how to program in Java (09 Aug 2014) There are many introductory books about Java on the market, but for anyone who wants to learn to...
- Android: The Next Generation (13 Jul 2014) Google continues to invest in and improve their flagship mobile operating system, and the latest...
- From Tango to the NDK: Further exploration of the Google I/O exhibitors hall (03 Jul 2014) Be it previews of products like Tango which create 3D images of your surrounding, to demonstrations...
- One way to get (Android) Fit - Touring the exhibit hall at Google I/O 2014 (03 Jul 2014) At Google I/O 2014, many new products got honorable mentions during the opening keynotes. But the...
Tell us what you think of the new site. Meet the Editors.