Design patterns: you need to know them, but they're always so darn difficult to learn. Here's a better way to familiarize yourself with them: go inside the JBoss design team and discover the creational patterns they use every day.
With this release, Mobicents SIP Servlets is bringing realtime communications (voice & video) to your Browser using HTML5 WebRTC and SIP Over WebSockets !
Data encryption in Java is quite simple. The Java Cryptographic Extension framework enables you to encrypt data in a variety of different ways using widely accepted algorithms. Want an example? Here's one, and it uses Blowfish.
On my recent visits to Velocity, WebPerfDay and Apps World in London, Real User Monitoring (RUM) was the hot topic. That triggered my thinking about the differences between vendors. They all promise the same for a varying range of prices – from free to couple thousand US Dollars. What I found out is that there IS a big difference and – depending on what you want to do with RUM – you want to make...
The article describes the possible side-effects when increasing your heap size and offers possible alternatives and guidelines on how to configure applications requiring large heaps.
Red Hat and Zend joined together to bring PHP development into the enterprise. What do developers think of the move?
If your managers are judging your productivity by the velocity of your development, and velocity is calculated as the number of story points completed over time, then what is the best way to improve your productivity without actually doing any more work? Simply make every stroke of the keyboard a completed story.
NoSQLUnit is a JUnit extension to make writing unit and integration tests of systems that use NoSQL backend easier. Visit official page for more information. In 0.5.0 release, an embedded in-memory Redis has been implemented, among other small features.
RRiBbit 2.1.0 adds JMS support to RRiBbit Remoting, making it possible to use JMS as a communication layer for your RRiBbit Eventbus.
At the third JavaOne conference since Oracle took ownership of the Java platform the mood was significantly brighter than it was during both the first and the second. It would appear that much of the apprehension expressed by the community has dissipated, and despite a few missteps along the way, Oracle seems to be earning a degree of confidence and respect. Maybe we need a report card?
When people talk about opacity in the REST context, they are usually referring to Uniform Resource Indicators (URIs). You should be able to construct URIs however you like, the theory goes, and it’s up to the resource to figure out how to respond appropriately. But there’s more to the opacity story than opaque URIs.
Securing RESTful web services is a challenge in many regards. One approach? OAuth2, a protocol enabling a Client application, often a web application, to act on behalf of a User, but with the User’s permission.
TheServerSide.com is an online community for enterprise Java architects and developers, providing daily news, tech talk interviews with key industry figures, design patterns, discussion forums, tutorials, and more. TheServerSide.com was launched in May 2000 and has become the largest independent Java community in the world. TheServerSide.com is owned and operated by TechTarget. TechTarget's Application Development Media Group of sites include TheServerSide.Net, SearchWinDevelopment.com, Ajaxian.com, SearchSOA.com, ebizQ.net, SearchSoftwareQuality.com and TheServerSide.com.
- Events & Conferences
- ITKnowledge Exchange
- Java Topics
- Meet The Editors
- White Papers
- JSR-286 development tutorial: Mastering request-response programming (17 May 2013) This portlet programming tutorial shows how the PortletRequest and Portlet Response are used when...
- Two most commonly misconfigured Tomcat performance settings (05 May 2013) Tomcat on the server is different from Tomcat on the desktop, but too many system admins fail to...
- Yale graph DB project uncovers hidden big data trends (05 May 2013) Graphic analysis of big data problems can often uncover hidden trends that might otherwise be...
- Expert insight into building distributed, service oriented systems (03 May 2013) Developing complex service oriented systems is a challenge, but with insight from the author of the...
- Dell Boomi and other integration providers jump on API management (10 May 2013) After several API management firms were acquired elsewhere, Dell Boomi announces their own API...
- Software developers demanding resource based, RESTful APIs (03 May 2013) Software developers are demanding APIs that are delivered in a RESTful, resource based way, and one...
- How 'big data' solved the content management (CMS) problem (23 Apr 2013) Content management systems that need to sift through huge amounts of data are big data problems in...
- Oracle announces delays in the JDK 8 release schedule (19 Apr 2013) After patching Web browser security issues, the Java Platform Group at Oracle has announced delays...
Tell us what you think of the new site. Meet the Editors.