With Java 8, lambdas were introduced to the Java language; but at a bytecode level, nothing changed! We’re still utilizing the existing invokedynamic functionality added in Java 7. So does this mean we can run lambdas on Java 7?
Static code analysis is a great and cheap way to improve the quality of your code in a sustainable way. But what if you'd look at this part like it was about building future-proof unit tests - whenever you find a code bug you add something that makes sure that this type of bug never appears again - in any of your projects?
At Big Data Techcon 2014, Cloudera’s Jonathan Steidman explained how Hadoop could help the enterprise expand its data infrastructure and access better business intelligence.
New releases of Satoris, Simz and Stenos that now replicate both execution behavior as well as contextual data across time and space.
One of the key new features introduced in Java 8 is parallel array operations. How fast is this thing, and when should I use it?
The humble log has largely been thought of as a data source that is there “just in case” there is a problem. Generally logs have only ever been accessible by the chosen few, who sit in the engine room of the system looking at at log events flying past all day long. However, there is a wealth of information contained in your log data which is useful for use cases beyond debugging or security. Find...
The infamous Oscar selfie of Ellen and other celebs broke a record of 2 million retweets before midnight, March 2, and Twitter came crashing down for a record 20 minutes. And this despite the fact that Twitter built their own Load Testing tool, IAGO in 2012. So why did Twitter build its own tool and what does that have to do with your decision to use homegrown versus vendor load testing tools?...
I wrote this blog to highlight the architectural and performance problems that come with using frameworks without properly configuring them for your use case. The application in question was a customized SharePoint app using Telerik controls. Even though performance was good under normal load conditions we found several architectural issues that most likely bring the SharePoint cluster down under...
The road has been long - two years, seven months and eighteen days, to be precise - but Java 8 is finally a working reality. In this interview, Georges Saab, Vice President of Software Development in the Java Platform Group at Oracle, gives us an insider account of the “conservative” development of what’s been declared “the most significant release of Java in the past 10 years”.
By tracing transactions as they traverse your stack, you can identify root cause and solve the issue. How to find that trace is the big question. Here I'll show you how to insert a unique identifier to trace transactions across multiple tiers and how you can view these events in one uber interface. Read on to learn how:...
Did you know that on an average app there are about 4000 as many Exception objects thrown than log messages written? We analyzed this on an enterprise application and highlight the performance and functional problems that come with having too many Exceptions that nobody is actually aware off.
The Biggest Singularity Event in Java
TheServerSide.com is an online community for enterprise Java architects and developers, providing daily news, tech talk interviews with key industry figures, design patterns, discussion forums, tutorials, and more. TheServerSide.com was launched in May 2000 and has become the largest independent Java community in the world. TheServerSide.com is owned and operated by TechTarget. TechTarget's Application Development Media Group of sites include TheServerSide.Net, SearchWinDevelopment.com, Ajaxian.com, SearchSOA.com, ebizQ.net, SearchSoftwareQuality.com and TheServerSide.com.
- Events & Conferences
- ITKnowledge Exchange
- Java Topics
- Meet The Editors
- White Papers
- Addressing security concerns and evolving beyond Spring with Java EE 8 (05 Nov 2014) The Spring framework created a situation where the Java EE platform had plenty of catching up to...
- JSF best practices for optimizing mobile application performance (04 Nov 2014) More and more applications are being built using the JSF frameworks, but traditional development...
- Incorporating Google Maps to the Java desktop (28 Oct 2014) Rob Terpilowski discusses how he and his architect team brought Google Maps to the Java desktop in...
- Node.js. gives new Jelastic 2.4 more deployment options (24 Oct 2014) In this video, Jelastic's CTO discusses how its latest release includes Node.js and is set to help...
- From ElasticSearch to Splunk: Understanding your log aggregation options (20 Oct 2014) The key to successfully being able to anticipate and diagnose software problems is being able to...
- Devoxx officially kicks off with Spring, Java EE 8, lambdas and value types (13 Nov 2014) As Devoxx 2014 officially kicks off, Geertjan Wielenga is there to tell us exactly what's hot at...
- Reflecting on lambdas, open source software and startup strategies at Devoxx 2014 (12 Nov 2014) Reporting from Devoxx 2014, Geertjan Wielenga gives us all the latest news from Day Two of the...
- 2013 sweetheart AngularJS takes a back seat to Docker at Devoxx 2014 (11 Nov 2014) While AngularJS was everyone's sweetheart at Devoxx 2013, this year at Devoxx 2014, it appears that...
- Video: NetScout discusses new UPM platform (10 Nov 2014) At JavaOne 2014, NetScout VP and architect discuss Unified Performance Management platform in this...
Tell us what you think of the new site. Meet the Editors.