In this article we take a look at Java 8 and explain Method References in 5 minutes
Modularity is not a new concept; it has been around for a long time. The term modularity was first coined in the late 1960s by Professor Edsger W. Dijkstra in one of his manuscripts. Unfortunately, the Java platform itself does not have a module system available out of the box. Project Jigsaw is in the works, but it isn’t available for production usage yet. Because we needed a modularity solution...
Wix engineering blog has a great post about how using TDD helps migrating an internal project to be Open Source. "We planned to open source PETRI from day one, but in the interest of development velocity, we developed it as an internal project with our own internal dependencies. Yet we knew that in order to finally break away from those internal dependencies we would need a development...
This post is a quick tutorial to show you just how quickly you can build a Java web app with a complete set authentication and user management features and user interfaces.
Tony Hoare, inventor of the null reference, apologetically called it “the billion dollar mistake”. The problem with null is not that it was invented back in 1965, but that we are still struggling with it 50 years later. I recently came across this article on Voxxed: Embracing the Void: 6 Refined Tricks for Dealing with Nulls in Java. It gives a nice rundown of strategies around the null...
How can you to take a pragmatic approach to Docker and look beyond the hype?
Opening up the reason why certain tooling such as jconsole using Runtime.getRuntime().maxMemory() are displaying different total heap size than in the configuration specified via Xmx.
Microservices are a hot topic of discussion in architecture circles, because of the way they are transforming the software development industry.
It is very important to conduct regular code reviews within every software team, but it is not so easy to do them right; here are a few typical pitfalls.
“Plan to throw one away” Fred Brooks, The Mythical Man Month: Essays on Software Engineering Slightly less famous that his “No silver bullet” and “Mythical man month” statements is Fred Brooks’ above admonishment. It’s perfectly reasonable – based as all his conclusions are on a wealth of experience, detailed analysis and investigation, and sound reasoning – and yet how frequently do we...
Set up a REST API with Spring and Java based Configuration, HTTP response codes, REST payloads and marshalling.
Maven pom.xml files may be repeatedly verbose from project to project; jcabi-parent offers a pre-configured solution.
TheServerSide.com is an online community for enterprise Java architects and developers, providing daily news, tech talk interviews with key industry figures, design patterns, discussion forums, tutorials, and more. TheServerSide.com was launched in May 2000 and has become the largest independent Java community in the world. TheServerSide.com is owned and operated by TechTarget. TechTarget's Application Development Media Group of sites include TheServerSide.Net, SearchWinDevelopment.com, Ajaxian.com, SearchSOA.com, ebizQ.net, SearchSoftwareQuality.com and TheServerSide.com.
- Events & Conferences
- ITKnowledge Exchange
- Java Topics
- Meet The Editors
- White Papers
- Java platform: Invigorating robustness and simplicity (16 Feb 2015) Java platform architects reminisce about the design of Java and how the platform is being pushed...
- 5 ways to boost security and reduce mobile risks (09 Feb 2015) Mobile risks are a constant concern for businesses with employees who work on mobile devices. Here...
- Growing the demand for NoSQL technology, and non-relational solutions (30 Jan 2015) While relational databases have been the stalwart of enterprise computing, more and more...
- Discussing Aerospike at DeveloperWeek 2015 (17 Feb 2015) Aerospike's developer discusses how the NoSQL database recently moved its IP to open source at...
- Working with Node.js at DeveloperWeek 2015 (13 Feb 2015) Developer advocate Jenny Tong discusses coding troublemaking with Node.js at DeveloperWeek 2015.
- IT spending in 2015: Mobility projects and cloud (05 Feb 2015) Mobile application development and cloud-based services will be focus of IT spending in 2015,...
- Google's Solve for X Program nears this year's final round (23 Jan 2015) Interested in solving the worlds greatest problems? Well, Google is, and if you want Google to give...