Discussions

General J2EE: Microsoft's C# Language Might Be the Death of Java

1. Microsoft's C# Language Might Be the Death of Java (2 messages)

By Robert X. Cringely

It is easy to criticize Microsoft. Heck, I've made a career of it. Yes, they are bullies and their technology tends to be derivative and uninspired, but what bothers most of Microsoft's competitors is none of that. Microsoft's competitors are bothered by Microsoft's success, which is to say by Microsoft's lack of a credible competitor. And that's one thing (maybe the only thing) that isn't Microsoft's fault.

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20011101.html
  2. Hi,

Your claim about C# language is worth a thought. But I have some other thoughts to share:

Microsoft can claim its authority on desktop PCs and client systems, But can we take it for granted the power it offers on server systems?

C# is not cross platform and for developing web applications if you use C# you are tied to ASP and indirectly microsoft servers!

What is Microsoft's place in today's server market?

Shankar
  3. Shankar,

I am not the author of that article. I just posted here for perspective.

You wrote:

>>>
    Microsoft can claim its authority on desktop PCs and client systems, But can we take it for granted the power it offers on server systems?
    <<<

From a performance and cost-performance perspective, quantitative data indicates that Microsoft holds the top, and majority of the top spots on the tPC benchmark(http://www.tpc.org), the industry standard for server performance measurement. So, it is only "perception", not reality, that leads people to believe that Microsoft software doesn't perform on the server.

You wrote:
    >>>
    C# is not cross platform and for developing web applications if you use C# you are tied to ASP and indirectly microsoft servers!
    <<<

At some point, you get tied to server vendor. Those who make decisions about using J2EE or Oracle today also make a choice about server platforms which they'll keep for years to come. Most companies don't replace their investments in BEA J2EE and Oracle on Solaris for IBM Websphere and DB2 on AIX overnight, so this choice issue is an unrealistic distraction.

You wrote:
    >>>
    What is Microsoft's place in today's server market?
    <<<

It is going up!

But your question is rhetorical. Instead of asking where Microsoft is at this point, which is what most of its detractors do, Microsoft's competitors ought to work harder and smarter to beat Microsoft, instead of being arrogant and complacent. That was the point of the article.

- Taiwo