Automatic failover in cluster

Discussions

EJB design: Automatic failover in cluster

1. Automatic failover in cluster (5 messages)

I have a cluster setup as follows
    Two weblogic instance on seperate boxes in cluster hosting Presentation logic and two weblogic instance in cluster hosting Object layer(Ejbs). When i remove one box hosting presention and object layer from the network, automatic failover takes place but it is too slow. What may be the problem, how can i fix it.

Thanks

rajiv

Threaded Messages (5)

2. Automatic failover in cluster[ Go to top ]

Could you clarify your architecture - do you have 4 weblogic instances on 4 machines or 2 instances on 2 machines?
    --Das
  3. Automatic failover in cluster[ Go to top ]

Rajiv, could you tell me what OS and hardware you are running? If Win2K, are you using NLB for presentation (IIS or Apache)? If Solaris, are you using "Full Moon"?
  4. Automatic failover in cluster[ Go to top ]

Hi,
    I'm having 4 instances on two machines, the OS is solaris/sparc
  5. Automatic failover in cluster[ Go to top ]

So, I presume you are trying out the Multi-Tier Architecture described in BEA's http://e-docs.bea.com/wls/docs61/cluster/planning.html#1094155 document.

Here is a snippet from their docs - maybe you should go thru it.
    <snippet>
    Limitations of Multi-Tier Architecture

Because the advanced configuration cannot optimize object calls using the collocation strategy, the Web application incurs network overhead for all method calls to clustered objects. This overhead may be acceptable, however, if your Web application requires any of the benefits described in Benefits of Multi-Tier Architecture.
    </snippet>

HTH
    --Das
  6. Automatic failover in cluster[ Go to top ]

I was not reffering to application overhead due to method calls. The failover takes more time why is it so