JBoss 3.0 alpha has been released

Discussions

News: JBoss 3.0 alpha has been released

1. JBoss 3.0 alpha has been released (33 messages)

This morning I noticed that JBoss 3.0 alpha has been released. It provides support for EJB clustering, CMP 2.0 (from EJB 2.0), JAXP 1.1, and custom socket factories that enable encryption and compression of client/server communication. There are enough reasons to download it and give it a go when you look at what they've achieved.

Have a look for yourself at http://jboss.org or else http://sourceforge.net/projects/jboss/

Also check out the JBoss 3.0 Documentation.

Enjoy!

Threaded Messages (33)

2. There are How to docs for new features.

And at least fairly importantly, JBoss 3.0 alpha provides clustering. And of course there are How-to's that explains using clustering, CMP 2.0, optimized RMI, etc. And you can do searches of the documentation - see:

http://www.javaskyline.com/servernews.jsp#ejb

Marc Fleurry writes ... "This is it!"

Regards,

Rich

3. So, where is their clustering implemenation described? Their docs show how to turn it on, but where are the docs for what it does, how it works, etc.?
  4. JBoss 3.0 alpha has been released[ Go to top ]

So, where is their clustering implemenation described?

> Their docs show how to turn it on, but where are the docs
    > for what it does, how it works, etc.?

Well there's probably a few clues in the 100% open source code...tho I suppose you could shell a few $$ for the official docco re: http://www.jboss.org/doco.jsp

Anyway I bet BEA & Co. are starting to sweat it now...$20k a CPU is a big ask when there's an open source alternative that's just as capable. Plus:

a) I've found JBoss more intuitive to configure.
    b) The JBoss forums are much more useful to me than the official support offered by BEA.
    b) I really like JBoss's JAAS security implementation (no need for the commonly implemented hack of binding to a naming service with PRINCIPAL and CREDENTIALS env variables to coincidentally establish your EJB security context).
    c) Plus JBoss bundles a Scheduler, another thing sorely missed on WLS.

So BEA, time to play catch-up ;-)

5. JBoss 3.0 alpha has been released[ Go to top ]

I agree, very exciting news. I'm not sure BEA and Weblogic people are shaking entirely, but this is a great step in that direction.

This appears to be the making of a leader in the industry.
    Kudos to jboss and company. I look forward to using this new tool.

-Newt
  6. JBoss 3.0 alpha has been released[ Go to top ]

Can anybody compare Jboss with Enhydra?

Reji
  7. JBoss 3.0 alpha has been released[ Go to top ]

Can anybody compare Jboss with Enhydra?

Why would we even bother?

Enhydra Enterprise was never released as Open Source and was largely vapourware... standard Enhydra has little if anything to do with the complete J2EE stack...probably worth comparing it to Tomcat and not JBoss.
  8. bad attitude[ Go to top ]

Anyway I bet BEA & Co. are starting to sweat it now...$20k a CPU is a big ask when there's an open source alternative that's just as capable. <

IMHO That is not a worthy goal for open source. Isn't JBoss good enough to stand on its own? Why does JBoss need you to criticize BEA as if they insulted your family name? Besides being successful with Weblogic, what terrible things have they done to you today? Why do you begrudge them for their ability to sell software? If comptetion pushed your hourly wage down to $5, should we celebrate? You're like the f*cking communists, you resent anyone who has worked harder or been more successful than yourself.

>> b) The JBoss forums are much more useful to me than the official support offered by BEA. <
    How's the JBoss official support? (There is none.) How about the BEA forums? (They're pretty good.)

>> b) I really like JBoss's JAAS security implementation (no need for the commonly implemented hack of binding to a naming service with PRINCIPAL and CREDENTIALS env variables to coincidentally establish your EJB security context). <
    Sh*t ... how many point b)s are you going to make? (I'll give you the point on JAAS though ....)

>> So BEA, time to play catch-up ;-) <
    Why are you so concerned with BEA? If you have everything you need with JBoss, then stick with it. If you are that far in front of the rest of the world, please don't tell us because you will only make us oh so jealous.

Peace,

Cameron.

(An avid Weblogic, JBoss, Orion and Resin user, and a not-so-happy Apache Tomcat, Oracle IAS and IBM Websphere user ;-)
  9. re: bad attitude[ Go to top ]

Flash: JBoss currently most active project on http://sourceforge.net

> If comptetion pushed your hourly wage down to $5, should
    > we celebrate? You're like the f*cking communists, you resent
    > anyone who has worked harder or been more successful than
    > yourself.

Hey I'm a big fan of the free-market economy...if my skills were valued at $5/hr I'd re-skill ;-) I also hadn't realised that open source was a communist front...maybe I better dump my RedHat shares ? (I got in at $3.40, woo!)

> How's the JBoss official support? (There is none.) How about the BEA forums? (They're pretty good.)

http://www.jboss.org/jbossgroup/services.jsp for official JBoss support.

> Sh*t ... how many point b)s are you going to make? (I'll
    > give you the point on JAAS though ....)

And I'll give you a point for catching my two b points...

> Why are you so concerned with BEA?

I compared with BEA because they are the commercial market-leader...hence the obvious yard-stick for comparison.

10. bad attitude[ Go to top ]

How about the BEA forums? (They're pretty good.)

I cannot argue with any fine points about implementations or anything because I don't have enough experience. But I can say that I think their website and forums suck big hairy donkey ****. And that is my considered opinion.

If you want to look up questions about, "How do I set up classes that I want run as startup classes," or something as simple as, "I want to shutdown 6.1 from the admin console, how do I do it" and you get nothing helpful at all.

Sun does a much better job of supporting Java than BEA does with supporting their own products so I think having JBoss come out is a good thing. Hopefully it could force BEA and others to focus much more on offering the very best support and administration to retain market share.

I don't think making money is inherently evil and I've got nothing against any of the existing J2EE server vendors. I want to see JBoss succeed because I know I'll use it for certain things (like my own personal projects) but I don't necessarily want it to sweep everything else from the marketplace because a complete lack of choice may not be in my best interests.
  11. bad attitude??[ Go to top ]

Hi John,

if someone posts questions like "How do I set up classes that I want run as startup classes" or "I want to shutdown 6.1 from the admin console, how do I do it" in the newsgroups that is rather a sign of bad attitude to me than not answering to this. This kind of questions is not really appropriate since we have services like groups.google.com where answers for this can be found dozens of times. Additionally BEA has very good documentation available both on the web and for download. If someone does not find what he is looking for after carefully investigating both sources of information he is likely to get a qualified answer in the newsgroups, my own good experience.

Regards,

Daniel
  12. bad attitude[ Go to top ]

> If you want to look up questions about, "How do I set up
    > classes that I want run as startup classes," or something
    > as simple as, "I want to shutdown 6.1 from the admin
    > console, how do I do it" and you get nothing helpful at all.

Goto BEA's Documentation site (http://e-docs.bea.com)

search "startup"
    Result

search "shutdown admin"
    Result

13. bad attitude (not!)[ Go to top ]

Why do you begrudge them for their ability to sell

> software? If comptetion pushed your hourly wage down to $5,
    > should we celebrate? You're like the f*cking communists, > you resent anyone who has worked harder or been more
    > successful than yourself.

Yes, open-source is very shared and collective: very un-American ;-)

The point you're missing is that the computing business (all of it) is changing. IBM have got it - moving from selling hardware and software to services.

This is the same model that the open-source people are using: charge for training, documentation and support, not for the product.

Face it, this is the future of the industry: Companies like Weblogic (and Sun, who are all about hardware sales) need to change, and are in danger of following the dinosaurs into extinction.

The bottom line is that WebLogic and the others kept enterprise programming as an elite sport - you needed a lot of money to play. JBoss allows all of us to join in - why do you resent that?
  14. bad attitude (not!) (did too!)[ Go to top ]

Yes, open-source is very shared and collective: very un-American ;-)

I wouldn't mind if you ignored what I wrote as long as you didn't reply to it ;-) ... what I asked was: "Why do you begrudge them for their ability to sell software?" I believe that hating people because they are successful is stupid no matter where you live -- but yes, while on the subject, Mao and Lenin and Pol Pot all used that exact hatred and resentment to their personal advantage (everyone knows that the nationalist Chinese used Weblogic).

> The point you're missing is that the computing business (all of it)
    > is changing. IBM have got it - moving from selling hardware and
    > software to services.

Yeah, I saw that in eWeek or Forrester or some rag too. The week before they said that b2b was the way to go (or else you would die) and the week after was peer2peer (or else you would go the way of dinosaurs). This week is "mauve database week" and that is what we're going to buy -- a mauve database.

Get a clue -- when companies can't make money with one thing, they try something else. Just because some companies tried moving to services when they started bleeding doesn't make it the future of the industry. If anything, services are going to be the biggest losers in a commodity market (McDonalds anyone?).

> This is the same model that the open-source people are using:
    > charge for training, documentation and support, not for the product.

... and those companies trying to get rich off of the open source model are doing almost as well as the dot-coms that bilked investors before them.

> The bottom line is that WebLogic and the others kept
    > enterprise programming as an elite sport - you needed
    > a lot of money to play. JBoss allows all of us to join
    > in - why do you resent that?

I only resent the intellectual dishonesty of your statement -- to "blame" BEA because they successfully charge for their product. I wish that they did have free developer licenses and low cost licenses for some types of uses, but they didn't ask me. (Now that I think about it, I guess they did ask me, and I told them "I wish that you would provide free developer licenses and low cost licenses for certain types of uses". Anyway ...)

But how can you ask why I resent JBoss? If you read my message, you would have seen that I use JBoss along with other open source and semi open source and proprietary products. I think it's cool that people contribute to JBoss -- but I think that rooting _for_ JBoss is a d*mn sight better than rooting _against_ another company just because they are successful!

[end rant]

Peace,

Cameron.
  15. bad attitude (not!) (did too!)[ Go to top ]

This week is "mauve database week" and that is what we're >going to buy -- a mauve database.

And the new Dilbert edition ;-)
  16. bad attitude (not!) (did too!)[ Go to top ]

Hi Cameron,

> I wouldn't mind if you ignored what I wrote as long as
    > you didn't reply to it ;-)

OK. Re-reading your post, you say 'How's the JBoss official support? (There is none.)'.

That is incorrect: Check out http://www.jboss.org/jbossgroup/services.jsp for details.

You happy now that I've read what you wrote?

> what I asked was: "Why do you begrudge them for their
    > ability to sell software?"

Re-reading the posts, I don't see anyone begrudging that - just a healthy competitive desire to match (or better) the self-proclaimed market leader.

> Yeah, I saw that in eWeek or Forrester or some rag too.
    > The week before they said that b2b was the way to go...
    > <snip>

Interesting. I didn't - I don't read either 'rag'. All I was doing was observing the behaviour of some of the more successful companies out there, and forming my own strategic conclusions.

As to the rags: Just because an infinite number of monkeys produce an awful lot of rubbish, does mean that they won't eventually produce a Shakespeare play. (Actually they'll produce an infinite number of copies of each play, but I digress.)

> I only resent the intellectual dishonesty of your
    > statement -- to "blame" BEA because they successfully
    > charge for their product.

Whoa. I feel you are completely misrepresenting what I was trying to say, which can probably be represented in the following points:

I don't blame Weblogic for charging what they do - it's a free market.

I do feel that the 'high up front' business model (which requires continual user purchases/upgrades to fund it) may not be the best for long term company growth. However, in the short term, Weblogic probably feel that they have to charge a lot to be taken seriously by corporate clients.

History shows that those who make the most money out of new technologies are the ones who commoditise them (Henry Ford et al.), not those who invent them.

JBoss want to be the best. That, in my opinion, is a laudable aim, and does not denigrate the current market leaders at all.

Finally, I do not believe that the price of the product is necessarily associated with how good it is, or vice versa. That is merely a function of business model and supply and demand.

If there is a 'begrudging' or 'intellectually dishonest' element in that, then I believe it to be in the interpretation of the reader.

Regards
        david

[Apologies for the late reply - only just caught up on the thread]
  17. bad attitude (not!) (did too!)[ Go to top ]

Hi David,

David: "Re-reading your post, you say 'How's the JBoss official support? (There is none.)'. That is incorrect: Check out http://www.jboss.org/jbossgroup/services.jsp for details."

You were right; I was wrong.

David: "I feel you are completely misrepresenting what I was trying to say, which can probably be represented in the following points: I don't blame Weblogic for charging what they do - it's a free market."

I've been involved (from a distance) with jBoss since basically "day 1". While I love some of the technical aspects (regardless of their ability to disappear and reappear elsewhere from one release to the next), the mantra is and has been largely "we're going to kill BEA". That's idiotic. And you can easily trace that mentality (and the megalomania from which it stems) directly to the top.

David: "JBoss want to be the best. That, in my opinion, is a laudable aim, and does not denigrate the current market leaders at all."

Agreed. It's not the goal that is denigrating -- it's just the comments of the people involved. It's a huge turn-off and several big companies that we have worked with avoid JBoss completely because of the syndrome. Come on, who wants to chance being locked out of the JBoss project (by some particular individual) if they happen to say something he doesn't like or have the audacity to defend themselves or someone that they respect?

You can't "do business" with a bunch of barbarians. Nice technology, though. I'll consider pushing JBoss again when (some particular individual) apologizes for being such a prick to people who took their own time to contribute improvements to the product.

David: "Finally, I do not believe that the price of the product is necessarily associated with how good it is, or vice versa."

There's a straw man. Who ever claimed that price == quality?

Peace,

Cameron.
  18. bad attitude (not!) (did too!)[ Go to top ]

Hi Cameron,

Thanks for the reply. I now have some understanding of your concerns, and broadly agree. The person in question does seem rarely to count to 10 before committing his thoughts to (electronic) paper.

However, human behaviour is such that groups of people (e.g. projects like JBoss) do not just 'do stuff': They need leaders to focus and channel their activities.

Those leaders, by definition, tend to see things in very black-and-white terms, for good and for ill.

Anyway, enough psychology.

david
  19. JBoss 3.0 alpha has been released[ Go to top ]

There is no simple description of what their clustering does? That seems very odd to me...
  20. There is no simple description of what their clustering does? That seems very odd to me...

Hello,

As you may have understood, JBoss 3.0 is in alpha. Consequently, not all information is yet available. Nevertheless, full documentation is about to be published.

Concerning its features, in short:
     - Clustered JNDI (with auto-discovery of the server by the client through multicasting)
     - Clustered SLSB, SFSB and EB
     - Clustered SFSB are in-memory replicated in sub-partitions (which size can be admin-defined)
     - Clustered EB (pessimistic locking at the database level or different pessimistic/optimistic scheme if you use MVCSoft EJB 2.0 Persistence Manager)
     - home/remote stub load-balancing policy is admin-definable
     - Some MDB/JMS clustering features (not yet defined)
     - cluster-wide hot-deploy
     - net-boot from a central repository (not directly related to clustering though)

I may be missing some features.

As it is in alpha stage, alpha testers are highly welcome!

Cheers,

Sacha
  21. JBoss 3.0 alpha has been released[ Go to top ]

b) The JBoss forums are much more useful to me than the official support offered by BEA.

BEA has useful forums as well

> b) I really like JBoss's JAAS security implementation (no need for the commonly implemented hack of binding to a naming service with PRINCIPAL and CREDENTIALS env variables to coincidentally establish your EJB security context).

You can choose whether you want to use the JNDI or JAAS authentication in weblogic:
    http://e-docs.bea.com/wls/docs61/security/prog.html#1039659

> c) Plus JBoss bundles a Scheduler, another thing sorely missed on WLS

Weblogic has had a scheduler for a while:
    http://e-docs.bea.com/wls/docs61/time

It's still used a lot, but for some reason BEA chose to deprecate it. I'm not sure why..
  22. JBoss 3.0 alpha has been released[ Go to top ]

>>It's still used a lot, but for some reason BEA chose to >>deprecate it. I'm not sure why..

Timers will be standardized in EJB 2.1
    see :
    http://www.jcp.org/jsr/detail/153.jsp
    So it would make sense to remove the non standard impementation asap....
  23. JBoss 3.0 alpha has been released[ Go to top ]

It's still used a lot, but for some reason BEA chose to >>>>deprecate it. I'm not sure why..

>>Timers will be standardized in EJB 2.1
    >>see :
    >>http://www.jcp.org/jsr/detail/153.jsp
    >>So it would make sense to remove the non standard >>impementation asap....

No, this does not make sense. EJB 2.1 is in the early stages. Only when EJB 2.1 is released (or is in a good beta form) would it make sense to replace useful functionality with a standards-compliant version
  24. I just have to disagree about BEA lacking in its security implementation. If you are logging into your EJB container by passing username/password along in the initial context lookup you are not taking advantage of BEA's servlet container also being backed by the same realm as the EJB container.

Even if you don't want to use the standard/auto/semiauto servlet 2.1 (?) container login mechanisms (ie... 'form' based or 'basic' logins) how difficult is it to call:

ServletAuthentication.weak(principalName,password,req.getSession()); ??? (Apparently just a facade into JAAS anyway).

Sure implementing an RDBMSRealm is not exactly trivial in WLS, but at least there is example code to copy/modify to start with. I couldn't find the equivalent in JBoss the last time I looked (or Tomcat for that matter... please speak up of email me if you know better... I love to learn more)... just some flat file implementations.

I look forward to working more with JBoss in the future - one of my biggest beefs with WLS is that while I win my family's bread with it - I do not have any kind of relationship with BEA in return for promoting their product in the enterprise (and making them big $$$)... I can't even legally run WLS for my little hobby deployments (completely non-commercial) and just to play around with it.

All I have to show for supporting BEA (aside perhaps from actually successfully completing project... which I suppose is a bonus too :) ) is a BEA coffee mug. Oh shit... its not on my desk! Someone stole it :(
  25. JBoss 3.0 alpha has been released[ Go to top ]

The is official support for JBoss:
    http://www.jboss.org/jbossgroup/services.jsp

Plus many people are becoming 'JBoss certified affiliates' and providing support services.
  26. Hmm, though I'd really like to use JBoss, I must admit that, at the moment, I won't... not sure about 3.0 (probably someone could give me some hints):
    *) Documentation is absolutely lacking... Because it is not certified J2EE 1.2 or 1.3 (you know, I don't demand this, as I know this is restricted by the J2EE license) documentation should somewhere state what JBoss can and what it cannot do. I cannot find this, only vague hints. Documentation lacking. Really bad, neither do I want to look at the source nor do I want to play trial-and-error.
    *) There is no DDEditor. I know I can write DDs by hand, but who wants to? Instead of plugging in all those nice features I'd write a DDEditor and a management console.
    *) Ever tried to manage a bunch of servers without a console? I mean yes, I can manage them well with property files... but please, tell me how to tell this to a sysadmin and/or manager at the customer's site.
    *) They are just getting into the same marketing wars as e.g. BEA... they are definitely lying, look at their presentation: No other server is modular? Laughable, HP-AS is (for a short time, I know, but nonetheless); it is also JMX based and free (for basic things).
    *) Open source is nice, but I wouldn't bet my business on it. Always the same, (Linux e.g.: Many apps running on it, but most mission critical apps are on Solaris, AIX or HP-UX), probably with exception of Apache, but still: Some time ago we needed some professional support for Apache/Tomcat config, basically the request was "Please help, difficult problem, we pay what it costs". No response (well, lets say noone who could help us; okay, this case was really difficult).
    *) The clustering support may be nice, but hey, its in alpha and "V1"... how long does Borland offer clustering (based on VisiBroker, longer than J2EE exists!), IBM, BEA??? So lets think about how mature this implementation can be.
    *) BEA costs something, yes, and IBM does too, and Sun and so on. But hey, in reality, if you buy WebSphere you get DB/2 and the RS6K box for free, or vice versa, same with Sun, probably with HP the same soon.
    *) Probably someone should do an ECPerf with jBoss? Results would be "inofficial", I know, but it would be a start... telling "JBoss beats the crap out of IBM WebSphere" doesn't help a lot, not better than the BEA/IBM/Oracle benchmarks. If I see some inofficial results, and they say they beat Borland (which is currently both my private reference for speed, as it is, in my experience, the fastest J2EE implementation as well as the ECPerf reference, because it is the only one; I guess the others are still tuning ;-)

I conclude (as I see it): JBoss is promising and definitely beats some of the competition (Orion for example), but it has a long way to go to reach e.g. Borland Enterprise Server, HP Bluestone/HP-AS, Sybase EAServer and so on.
    IMPORTANT NOTE: This is not a call for a flame-war, but rather a call to prove I'm wrong.

regards

Messi
  27. As for Licensing/Certification, that issue regarding both Enhydra and JBoss has been done to death. I'm not remotely worried about that one, since I've tested a suite of beans/apps that have worked on numerous other servers on JBoss with no problems.

I agree, that documentation is lacking. and ditto for DDEditor, and Console (I personally like JRun's console the best anyway). However, that doesn't mean that it is a criteria or not-a-criteria to select JBoss. It goes deeper than that. There are other reasons to use JBoss, but it is important that at least for right now it takes more technical expertise to use jboss than many commercial apps. I mean this in an organizational or a group sense. I am not calling into quistion your skill in anyway. But when you have a lot of really high level skills JBoss not only isn't a problem in terms of these things, but it is actually a reason for choosing it. Where I work, we are a think-tank/research group working on very new technologies and ideas. The flexibility that JBoss offers us by allowing us to get into the guts of things is important. But again, this is/can be an organizational challenge. I would not recomment JBoss for all groups, but it can definitely be a great app-server for a great number of projects and purposes. Our developers do almost no automated work. That can become tedious I agree, but JBoss is a great invironment for this.

This is not, of course, the only reason we chose JBoss; there are a myriad of other reasons, I'm just responding to your comments. I also would like the combined flexibility of the commercial style console/editors etc, with the open-source nature of JBoss.

As for system administrators, out Unix guys will have noe real problem with JBoss.

As for JMX, I do think that JBoss has a more flexible implementation than HP, or anything else I've seen for that matter. That doesn't mean the others won't have something like it, or better. Quite the reverse I think, competition really does breed a lot of creativity.

As for Betting your business, a lot of people have bet their businesses on expensive app-servers with very spectacular failures, maybe more spectacular for their costs. What you say could be both an argument for and against open-source. In my experience it's most rarely the choice of app-server but the overall culture and skills. Projects/businesses don't often fail just because they chose the wrong app-server, they failed because of development staff, or management, or blah, blah, blah. I would bet my business on JBoss just as much as Weblogic, AS LONG AS I HAD THE RIGHT PEOPLE in all aspects of the business.

As for clustering, I expect that it will be quite robust. Just because it is a new implementation doesn't mean it will be alpha quality stuff. Again, I would say quite the reverse. Plenty of people have built systems with clustering, load-balancing and failover. JBoss does NOT have to reinvent the wheel here. They just have to implement the wheel. I think it'll be just fine.

As for getting DB2/RS6K with Websphere, I would argue that getting free stuff is one of the worst reasons to choose an app-server. It is too near-sighted and implies a lower total cost of ownership where there isn't necessarily one.

ECPerf? sure I hope so. However, I don't expect JBoss to come out at the top though. Still won't change my mind. I can buy a top-of-the-line Sun E450 or whatever they've got today for considerably less than than one WebLogic license. That'll do just fine.

I think you're right on your last statement. JBoss has a little way to go. But I think it's a lot closer than you imply. I would argue that it's pretty damn close in fact.
    I'm not predisposed towards JBoss. I've worked with others, and liked them for some things, and hated them for somethings. Ditto for JBoss (Documentation is the weakest link right now I think).

Finally, my group is planning to go into production with JBoss. We do extensive research and development for universities, companies, government agencies, and notably Department of Defense. We ARE planning to use JBoss for mission critical apps. We were planning to do so even before the announcement of 3.0. Now we are even more excited, since 3.0 will finish off the features that we are looking for.

If you would like we can continue this discussion off line, via email. Just let me know.
  28. JBoss 3.0 alpha has been released[ Go to top ]

You may be right. JBoss might be no where close to what people claim. It may not even be at the top of EPerf.. or whatever u choose as benchmark, but for small companies which are barely breaking even and still wish to offer thier clients the best, JBoss is a relief. JBoss may not even be certified as i write but i trust it will be. Its documentation might suck but its free. There might be no support..hey, we can't afford it if they had one. But u know what? It works for us and thousands of others. No DDEditors, No GUI. Fine. It still works for us because with the in built connection pooling and all the J2EE goodies, i help my projects squeeze the best performance with all the available hardware as best as possible. And I have used webLogic6.x for my earlier companies and clients.

The choice is between a Corolla and a BMW. But for now i wont say which is which ;) Let time decide for iteself.

Deepak.
  29. *) There is no DDEditor. I know I can write DDs by hand,

> but who wants to? Instead of plugging in all those nice
    > features I'd write a DDEditor and a management console.

Check out Rickard Öberg's site (www.dreambean.com) for a couple of interesting projects.

EJX is a GUI DD editor, and EJBDoclet (now xdoclet project on sourceforge) allows you to put your DD information in as javadoc tags.

I'm just evaluating them now, so I cannot yet comment on their strengths and weakness.

david

30. Sorry, but EJX is long deprecated. (There wasn't much demand for it once EJBDoclet/XDoclet was available :-) I need to update the site.

XDoclet is very much alive though:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/xdoclet

And not only for EJB too :-)

/Rickard
  31. [snip]
    I conclude (as I see it): JBoss is promising and definitely beats some of the competition (Orion for example), but it has a long way to go to reach e.g. Borland Enterprise Server, HP Bluestone/HP-AS, Sybase EAServer and so on.
    IMPORTANT NOTE: This is not a call for a flame-war, but rather a call to prove I'm wrong.
    [/snip]

If you mean Oracle, WebLogic and Websphere when you write "and so on" I can "prove" you wrong. (Please note the quotationmarks, eh?)

Oracle brags about running PetStore twice as fast as WebLogic and Websphere. Orion is licenced by Oracle and part of the Oracle 9i server (isn't it?). So if JBoss is faster than Orion, it's also faster than Oracle, Websphere and WebLogic ... go figure ...

--
    Jon Martin Solaas
    jonmartin.solaas@mail.link.no
  32. Sorry, I don't agree on this...
    1) Oracle _claims_ it is faster... this is marketing bullshit. Where are their ECPerf results? Come on Oracle, afraid of Borland?
    2) Well, in fact I meant these three are the one I'm impressed most of (though I heard ATG, JRun and others are very good, but I didn't try them), but BEA and WebSphere are definitely the market leaders. And in fact, for huge solutions with high load, WebSphere is, together with Bluestone, really the best.
    3) I didn't mean jBoss is _faster_ than Orion, I never said this, in fact I doubt it. I just meant that I need to do the same "manual" stuff for Orion, it doesn't offer some of the high-end eatures (at least when I tried), so in fact its quite the same as jBoss, but jBoss has some nice and promising features (e.g. JMX; modular architecture, ...), the documentation is lacking with both, ... -> jBoss beats Orion, it would even beat it if thesy had the same features because jBoss is Open Source.

Know what I meant?

regards

Messi
  33. And what do you think about JOnAS, an OpenSource EJB Container ?

http://www.evidian.com/jonas/ ??

Thank you
  34. Hi,

I would like to know whether JBoss 3.0 supports, Session Distribution and Clustering between different physical servers. I have tried to find out it from JBoss forum at http://www.jboss.org but forum is down, because of some crashing.

Any help would be appriciated.

- Lomesh.