Discussions

News: Borland announces JBuilder 6 with new EJB design features

1. Borland today announced the immediate availability of Borland JBuilder 6. JBuilder 6 features new visual EJB designers, support for methodologies such as extreme programming, code deployment into J2EE servers from Borland, BEA, IBM, Websphere and IPlanet, and EJB UML support.

Press Release
    --------------
    Borland Software Corporation (Nasdaq NM: BORL - news) today announced the immediate availability of Borland® JBuilder(TM) 6, the latest version of the award-winning, market leading Java(TM) development environment. JBuilder simplifies Java development and deployment by dramatically increasing developer productivity, allowing customers to bring their applications to market faster. Built on open standards such as Java(TM) 2 Platform, Enterprise Edition (J2EE(TM)), JBuilder allows organizations to adopt the latest technology innovations to move their development projects forward without abandoning existing investments. JBuilder also offers optimal flexibility for development and deployment with support for multiple operating systems, version control systems, application servers and operating systems.

''Java has become a mainstream platform for enterprise development and deployment,'' said Mark Driver, research director, Gartner, Inc. ''As development teams continue to adopt Java as the standard, solutions that shorten the learning curve to broaden the number of programmers without sacrificing functionality will win the loyalty of the enterprise and increase market share.''

Key Features and Benefits of JBuilder 6:

Rapid Development for J2EE(TM)- With JBuilder, developers can use new, two-way visual EJB designers to easily create reusable Enterprise JavaBeans(TM).
    Supports full spectrum of development methodologies - Offers productivity features to support extreme programming.
    Lower Cost of Ownership of Code - Enterprises can leverage existing projects with JBuilder's new UML code visualization, refactoring, unit testing and documentation tools.
    Deployment to J2EE Platform Application Servers - JBuilder includes tight integration with Borland® Enterprise Server, BEA® WebLogic®, IBM® WebSphere® and iPlanet(TM) Application Server.
    Cross-Platform Applications - JBuilder allows for application development and deployment on Windows®, Linux®, Solaris(TM) and now Mac® platforms.
    Fully Supports Industry Standards - JBuilder supports Java 2, Java 2 Swing/JFC, XML, Java2D, Java collections, message queue, accessibility APIs, JavaBeans®, JDBC®, Enterprise JavaBeans, JSP(TM)/Servlets, serialization, inner classes, remote method invocation, Java native interface, Java archives and more.

''With this latest version of JBuilder, Borland stays true to its commitment of providing a premier development platform for J2EE application developers to substantially increase their productivity and get their applications to market as soon as possible,'' said Tony de la Lama, vice president and general manager of Java solutions for Borland. ''With the visual design features for EJB development and UML visualization, JBuilder has taken Java development to the next level of productivity. We look forward to continued acceptance and pervasive adoption of the JBuilder development platform for the Java development needs for enterprises of all sizes.''

Pricing and Availability

Borland JBuilder 6 is immediately available for purchase in three editions: Enterprise, Professional and Personal. For additional information, please visit http://shop.borland.com/.

About Borland® JBuilder(TM)

Borland JBuilder is the leading cross-platform environment for building business, database and distributed applications for the Java 2 platform. JBuilder simplifies EJB(TM) 2.0 development with two-way visual designers and rapid deployment to the leading J2EE(TM) platform application servers, including BEA WebLogic, IBM WebSphere, iPlanet(TM) and the integrated Borland Enterprise Server. It enhances developer productivity with UML code visualization, refactoring, unit testing, and documentation tools, and enables development and deployment of applications on Windows, Linux, Solaris(TM) and Mac OS platforms. JBuilder is available in three versions: Enterprise, Professional and Personal. A detailed matrix of features included in JBuilder is located at http://www.borland.com/jbuilder/jb6/feamatrix/.

About Borland

Borland Software Corporation is a leading provider of technology used to develop, deploy and integrate software applications. Delivering best-in-class technology solutions dedicated to interoperability, Borland allows enterprises of all sizes to move into Web based computing while leveraging legacy systems. From the Fortune 1000 to the Borland Nation consisting of millions of developers, Borland provides customers the freedom to develop applications, deploy them anywhere and integrate and manage them across the enterprise. Borland solutions enable organizations to increase productivity and deliver higher performance projects faster and on budget, while lowering total cost of ownership.

2. Hmmm... they've made some interesting feature-set decisions here.

Putting the JUnit integration into a commercial edition, I can vaguely understand. But only in the enterprise?

And what's Javadoc doing solely in the commercial versions? Personal users don't need to document (or test!) their code?

And I find it very disappointing that the refactoring support doesn't even match what the third-party JRefactory plugin was capable of doing.
  3. Couple of things (I can't comment about what versions have what, I have no idea either)

1) The JavaDoc thing doesn't prevent you from documenting your code, it just doesn't make it really, really easy

2) I can't deny that JRefactory is an excellent tool, but it differs from the Refactoring in JBuilder in a number of significant ways
     i) JBuilder does not reformat your code when you refactor - so changes are only what they need to be - an absolute MUST for any kind of source control and why JRefactory isn't really that popular amongst most enterprise sites
     ii) You get a two-phase option - you get to see what it will do before it actually does it if you wish

And those two things alone make the refactoring in JBuilder just that bit better (for what it does) than JRefactory. I'm sure you will see many more refactoring options appear in JBuilder in the future, but that is pure speculation.
  4. If you want refactoring (and a much more intelligent editor) try Intellij's IDEA (http://www.intellij.com/eap).
    It is way superior to JBuilder, but lacks some of the Enterprise features that JBuilder offer, but it only cost a fraction of the JBuilder Entreprise Edition and it has most of the vital stuff (like CVS integration, JUnit integration etc...)
  5. I think this is interesting. I am however annoyed that we just bought 6 JBuilder Enterprise 5.0 licenses, which only came out 6 or 8 weeks ago? something like that?

-Newt
  6. I had been an avid fan of JBuilder until 5.0 came out and they raised the upgrade licensing costs. I had been using the Profession version for home use, and it had been about $250 to upgrade. Now it is $400 to upgrade. Plus, Borland has been averaging about 2 upgrades a year for the past few years.

However, if you JUST bought the previous version, give them a call. I had just bought 3.0 about a month before 3.5 came out, and they let me upgrade for free. Not sure if that still holds true, but worth a call to find out. Just be persistant.
  7. Hello I have been using JBuilder since version 3.0 and I have also tried most of the others (including IDEA, VisualCafe, VisualAge, Together CC, JDeveloper 3, 9i ...)
    And I can say that in terms of speed, productivity and reliability it's the best. But I do find ridiculous the fact that if you want to upgrade you have to pay $2000 every 6 months.(I'm talking About JB Enterprise).

8. It's totally ridiculous that they expect people to pay these huge upgrade fees every 6 months or so to get the latest and greatest.

I'm sticking with IDEA. Cheaper and a much better code editing/development tool. Their new version coming out in December will have even better refactoring than they already have (and their current stuff is better than what JBuilder just came out with).

I stopped using JBuilder after version 4. And Borland (if you're listening), I wouldn't have even realized that IDEA was out there if your pricing and versions hadn't gotten so ridiculuous that I had to start looking elsewhere.
  9. Hi all,

>It's totally ridiculous that they expect people to pay
    >these huge upgrade fees every 6 months or so to get the
    >latest and greatest.

I work for Borland - but that does not stop me from agreeing with you to a certain extent (and not just the part about us being the latest and greatest ;)

Given the fact that Java & J2EE technology - actually its usage - has grown and matured so much over the last 18 months or so, Borland has to come out with new versions which support these new technologies and features (take the J2EE 1.3 spec for instance which has been finalized recently or how web development has taken off). If you look at the support JB6 provides for EJB 2.0 features, it is quite amazing! And we do support quite a lot of AppServers (including the latest versions of WebLogic, WebSphere and iPlanet besides our own AppServer). So presumably, you would want to buy Enterprise versions if you are interested in J2EE/CORBA development.

We have come out with a new pricing strategy that addresses these concerns of yours (about the upgrade cycle being approx 6 months) and a Borland Sales Rep can give you relevant information.

By the way, JBuilder Professional (which also costs way less than Enterprise) supports Web development (JSPs, Servlets, WebApps), database development plus a lot of XML features. So, if this is the part of J2EE you are primarily interested in, then maybe the Enterprise version is overkill for your needs?

-krish
  10. Yeah professional would be great unless you need to develop in a team environment (version control support), like to unit test your code (JUnit integration), debug the web application you just built (remote debugging), or have support for any app server / servlet engine other than tomcat.

I can see only an "enterprise" developer would need those things, it's surely overkill for mere "professional" developers.
  11. Well, problem is actually deeper here I reckon...

Over the last year Borland was doing quite well financially. And major part of their revenue came from the sales of JBuilder. Now they definitely hope that this trend will continue. And may be they are just little bit elated and are grabbing while they can.

But new challenges arise first Oracle and Sun are able to release their development tools for free because they have other streams of revenue to offset losses. Same thing goes for Microsoft that will be able to sell Visual Studio.NET at below cost and give .NET away for free (free “application server”).

At the same time Borland does not have any other business to offset its possible losses if the development tools market dries out (plus we do not yet know effect of the latest events on their 4th quarter profitability). AppServer and Interbase do not have significant market share in respective areas. Delphi and C++ Builder will be hit hard by release of Visual Studio.NET. JBuilder is going to get squeezed by JDeveloper and NetBeans.

Ergo, Borland has to come up with something! They did it in the past and I believe they can do it again. Will it be price reduction or radical new ideas I do not know but I definitely hope that it will be something.

Artem

Disclaimer: I love Borland!
  12. Well I have the same argument against the upgrade model Borland is using. Most vendors provide a fixed 1 yr support model that includes all upgrades for the entire period. This usually runs about 10-20% of the product's original cost per year. JBuilder Enterprise runs about $3,000 assume that support would be $600 per year that would make it $3,600 which is not unreasonable. Instead Borland does not publish a support model and expects developers to pay 80% of the original price for major upgrades every 6 months.

The future is not bright for Borland.
  13. Well I have the same argument against the upgrade model Borland is using. Most vendors provide a fixed 1 yr support model that includes all upgrades for the entire period. This usually runs about 10-20% of the product's original cost per year. JBuilder Enterprise runs about $3,000 assume that support would be $600 per year that would make it $3,600 which is not unreasonable. Instead Borland does not publish a support model and expects developers to pay 80% of the original price for major upgrades every 6 months.

The future is not bright for Borland.
  14. I just downloaded the JBuilder 6 Enterprise trial and am having problems creating an Entity EJB 2.0 bean. I can create the bean but none of the table variables appear nor are there any abstract getter/setters (bacause the table columns were not generated). I can manually add them but I am sure that is not the right approach (I didn't have to in JB5E, so why in the newer version???) yet I don't understand what I am doing wrong, and Oh yeah the JB6 tutorial includes an index entry for entity 2.0 creation but there is NO content???

Is there doc somewhere explaining how to create ejb 2.0 entity beans?

DT
  15. Yo! Listen Up...

All the ppl that are complaining ....

Borland is THE only company that lives by developing tools for the developers in both windowzz and *nix... and its biggest compititor is M$ itself.

Remember watcom? symantec? huh?

Even if Borland decides to increase the price of a certain developer tool - they have justification.

Like it or not, programming is what it is today because of Borland.