Discussions

EJB design: EJB's that depend on lagacy services

1. EJB's that depend on lagacy services (5 messages)

How should I go about creating new EJB's that depend on legacy services such as sockets and corba servers. From what I can tell through various J2EE books, one solution can be achieved through JMS. I would have to write a JMS client on the legacy service side to make a connection between legacy service and JMS. I have 2 questions about this approach:

1. Are their any other alternatives ?
    2. If I went for this approach, how would my EJB capture serious problems at the server end such as someone executing killit on the corba server for example ?

Threaded Messages (5)

2. EJB's that depend on lagacy services[ Go to top ]

EJB's should not open sockets or listen to sockets. This has been clearly mentioned in EJB specs.

This is just an additional information for you.

Satish
  3. EJB's that depend on lagacy services[ Go to top ]

Hi Satish,
    that is not exactly correct - the EJB spec says that you may not act as a socket listener - it does not say that you cannot open a socket.

4. EJB's that depend on lagacy services[ Go to top ]

You are right Steve. It can open a socket. But it can not listen to a socket.
  5. EJB's that depend on lagacy services[ Go to top ]

Thanks, I did know that, which is why I was refering to a JMS solution. Can EJB's call remote methods on Corba servers ?
  6. EJB's that depend on lagacy services[ Go to top ]

Yes you can call CORBA servers from EJB's. EJB specification says don't use scokets because these will run in a seperate thread so it interefere with EJB container threading mechanisim. By doing this, you may not predict results correctly.

Hope this will help you.

/Srinivas Gamini