Standard & Poor's uses J2EE WebServices to restructure offerings

Discussions

News: Standard & Poor's uses J2EE WebServices to restructure offerings

1. In an interesting display of Web Services in action, Standard and Poors is looking to break up its half-dozen large, monolithic e-commerce sites into 50-60 smaller modules, exposed as standard Web Services via UDDI, WSDL, SOAP and all. The software will be developed with J2EE on iPlanet.

Read Standard & Poor's Uses Web Services to Break Up Monolithic Sites.
  2. What do you think Greg Leake?
  3. Now, what we don't need is personal provocations of any of our members, particularly one so brave as to come from the Microsoft world and put himself in the cross fire of us Java Zealots.

Greg has been getting a lot of attention due to his involvement on TheServerSide.com recently, culminating in that "Microsoft Marketing Commando" post on Java Lobby. I welcome MS employees to come hang out on TSS and see how good J2EE is and how committed and empowered the J2EE Community is.

Floyd

4. Floyd,

Perhaps the email address of each post, along with the username, should be quoted in each TSS post. This may help improve the quality of certain individuals postings, given it is now getting to the point where moderation is desirable.

Lee.

5. I agree. I not a fan of moderation, but what can you do... >:(

6. Lee,

Squelching only applies within microsoft based forums not within J2EE communities. Don't bring your bad habits here. And I suggest if your pacemaker cannot take the pressure find a new manufacturer.

As far as I am concerned Greg Leake has been posting a good deal of rubbish. All his claims are presumptions that still haven't been demonstrated within the "REAL WORLD." Greg's primary concern is PR; Furthermore, all he has to show for .net are links to living documents.

I called Greg's attention to this article because much of his arguements are about J2EE being incapable of acceptable performance. J2EE applications are not theories with wishful thinking they are implemented everyday in everywhere in highly transactional environments, which this article demonstrates.

Having a sexy gui baptised by the afx team is not going to cut it anymore nor are they going to wait five years again based on smoke n' mirrors and living documents.

7. Thanks, once again "n n" or whatever your name is, for a high-quality intelligent post - a good example in fact of the childish posts Floyd referred to! As I said, moderation is _not_ ideal and suggest that a medium-course of including the regstered email with each post might improve matters...

8. Floyd,

Your sentence "I welcome MS employees to come hang out on TSS and see how good J2EE is and how committed and empowered the J2EE Community is" does worry me. IMHO this will just lead to more provocative posts.

I am a J2EE developer, and I come to this excellent site because it is, as stated above, "your J2EE community". Sure, let MS staff hang out, but I do not want MS marketing pumped down my throat when reading threads, (nor for that matter Sun marketing). I want to communicate, learn & exchange info with the rest of the J2EE community. Thats why this site is a great place to hang out. Sure I want to talk .NET and other middleware stuff, but with the J2EE community.

If MS staff are going to post perhaps its better to let them identify themselves as such

Regards,
    Menno (just come from the 2 day MSDN .NET dev conference and had enough MS marketing to last the year :)

9. I think Greg does not think since Bill thinks for him :-)
  10. I worked on a project that attempted to achieve this outcome last year.

The major challenges were around the business case that would make it cheaper to integrate a web service provider system via a protocol such as SOAP or RMI as opposed to simply putting in an HTML link with the appropriate security checks....and navigating the end user somewhere else.

Technical problems included the security model and getting all clients to agree on an approach, not to mention the problems around everyone running different application servers, different OS's and different web servers...

Maybe the model works when you have a good level of vertical and horizonatal integration possible due to an amount of leverage or control around the technical architectures of your business partners.

Still an interesting challenge and sounds like a great project!!