Discussions

News: Altova annonces XML Spy 4.2 suite with SOAP support

1. Altova yesterday announced the release of the XML Spy 4.2 Suite, consisting of the XML Spy 4.2 Integrated Development Environment (IDE), the XML Spy 4.2 XSLT Designer, and the XML Spy 4.2 Document Editor. Version 4.2 supports SOAP.

www.xmlspy.com.

Press Release
    ---------------
    BEVERLY, MA & ORLANDO, FL--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 11, 2001--Altova, Inc. (www.xmlspy.com ) today announced the release of the XML Spy 4.2 Suite, a comprehensive product-line of easy-to-use software tools, facilitating all aspects of advanced XML application development. The XML Spy 4.2 Suite consists of the XML Spy 4.2 Integrated Development Environment (IDE), the XML Spy 4.2 XSLT Designer, and the XML Spy 4.2 Document Editor, a comprehensive tool-set for all XML application development.

XML Spy 4.2 Suite was pre-viewed last week, at a keynote speech at the Oracle Open World Conference in San Francisco by Chuck Rozwat, Executive Vice President of Oracle Server Technologies, and Sandeepan Banerjee, Director of Product Management, Content Management & Application Development, Oracle Server Technologies. The keynote speech talked about Oracle's Project XDB, highlighting XML Spy 4.2 Suite's authoring support for Oracle XML Schema Extensions, and stressed the overall importance of XML technologies.

XML Spy 4.2 Suite adds support for all of the newest XML Technologies, including Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP) - the foundation of all next-generation web-services applications. XML Spy 4.2 Suite also adds support for advanced Microsoft XML parser technologies (MSXML4). XML Spy 4.2 Suite is designed to maximize the productivity of today's software professionals by supporting all of the newest XML standards and technology platforms in a timely fashion at low-costs to the developer. XML Spy 4.2 Suite is the world's leading XML software development tools suite with over four hundred thousand registered users world-wide.

The XML Spy 4.2 Suite is being launched live at the XML Conference & Expo at the Walt Disney World Dolphin, in Orlando, Florida, December 11-13, 2001. For a live demonstration of XML Spy 4.2 Suite, please visit the Altova booth located in Exhibit Hall A, booth 404.

XML Spy 4.2 Pricing and Availability

The XML Spy 4.2 Suite is available immediately for download and purchase from the XML Spy Online Shop, www.xmlspy.com/order. See website for complete price-list including, multi-user or concurrent-user licenses, or contact sales at xmlspy dot com.

Live demonstrations of XML Spy 4.2 Suite will held at the following tradeshows:
        - XML Conf. & Expo, Dec. 11-13, 2001, Orlando, FL
        - Java on Wall St, February 4-5, 2002, New York, NY

About Altova

Altova is a leading provider of XML software solutions with offices in Beverly, MA and headquarters in Vienna, Austria. The privately held company was founded in 1992 and has been actively involved in the XML market from the early conception of Extensible Markup Language. Altova's XML Spy is the leading choice of Fortune 500 and Global 1000 companies. Altova's XML Spy product line is the best-selling XML tools suite and has won the leading industry awards. Altova is a member of the W3C and OASIS.

2. I wonder whether this version is finally able to validate according to the latest XML Schema PFD. They claim full support since version 4.0, but cannot validate against schemas that use quite basic features (e.g. constraints).
  3. Christian, are you sure if it is the tool or you which is not compliant with XML schemas ? We have been using XML Spy on very complex schemas (with constraints, references, ...) and never got any problems.
  4. as sure as I can be, I guess. I reported my problem to Altova, and it was confirmed as a bug twice by their engineers.

This was a rather simple example, on which I used the 4.1 version. It choked on an identity constraint which I had created inside XMLSpy. When validating the instance document, it kept insisting that the constraint was violated, but it certainly wasn't (there was only one element of the givent type).

I would have to ask "are you sure you did use identity constraints?"
  5. Ok, so now we know what constraints you are talking about. These constraints have not really been well defined until the latest release of XML schema. I do not think that even Castor from exolab is implementing it, we had to code this check ourself... Do you know by any chance a tool supporting the schema spec 100% or better than XML Spy. If so, I would be very interested testing it.
    Thanks
  6. Standalone validators/parsers for XML schema are not that hard to come by, nowadays. Xerces is one (well known) example, and there are numerous others, some of whom I have tested successfully with identity constraints. In fact, XMLSpy is the only one I have found that *claims* to cover XML schema but fails as described (I dont think Castor makes this claim, and schema validation is certainly not its focus)

I personally think identity constraints are a very basic feature. I wasnt trying to make up a very complicated test case.
  7. kiss xml spy goodbye[ Go to top ]

Check out Stylus Studio it has a cool XSLT editor and XSLT debugger, among other things. here is the download link.
  8. Christian, are you sure if it is the tool or you which is not compliant with XML schemas ? We have been using XML Spy on very complex schemas (with constraints, references, ...) and never got any problems.
  9. I encourage everyone to badger the vendor for a non-Microsoft
    version. I like this product but not enough to justify
    running That Operating System. Last time I emailed they
    said they had no plans for a port to Unix OSes or to
    platform-independant Java.
  10. XML Spy ports[ Go to top ]

XML Spy works on mac os X using virtual pc.
    it does not work on linux using wine.
    -larry