IBM Websphere 5 TD Achieves J2EE 1.3 Certification

Discussions

News: IBM Websphere 5 TD Achieves J2EE 1.3 Certification

1. WAS 5.0 for Technology Developers has passed the J2EE 1.3 CTS process and is listed on Sun's compatibility page as a J2EE certified server. It's also available for download immediately. IBM and Pramati are now the only J2EE 1.3 certified servers, available today.

Click here to download the server.

What is interesting is that earlier this week (Dec 17th), Pramati announced being the first to pass the 1.3 CTS tests. IBM today also made this announcement and is currently the only vendor listed on Suns's official compatibility page. A TSS member posted in the Pramati thread that Websphere actually passed the CTS test on Dec 20th, and got it listed on Sun's site the next day. Must have been some major muscle flexing going on to make that happen. :)

In any case, this is probably the first time IBM has broken its tradional image as lagging in standards compliance by actually beating BEA to the punch, particularly given that BEA was the very first vendor with EJB 2.0 support (EJB 2.0 is part of J2EE 1.3).

Threaded Messages (28)

2. Like I said in previous posts, WebSphere 5 is here sooner than people thought.
  3. Sorry to you,

This is NOT Websphere AS 5.0 that has been certified !

As it is written by big blue himself :
    WebSphere Technology for Developers is a preview of the WebSphere Application Server V5 technology.

Why certifying a preview ? Except for marketing reasons ! BEA is also (for marketing reasons) J2EE compliant (Not certified !) since august 2001 - before final spec...

I'm sorry marketers from IBM are the best ! Pramati is always the only certified (supported) Application Server.

What part of WTD will be core in WAS ? IBM does not say !

Greg
  4. Although the certified version is just a development preview, IBM is becoming more committed to the specs and catching up. 4.0 just came out last summer, and the full 5.0 will be in months to come.

5. BEA is also (for marketing reasons) J2EE compliant (Not certified !) since august 2001 - before final spec...
    >>

Hmmm. WebSphere 5.0 TD has been certified compliant with the official, final J2EE 1.3 spec, and the listing on Sun's J2EE compatibility page backs that up. BEA is not in that list.

Draw your own conclusions.

Views are my own and not necessarily IBM's
  6. Randy,

Websphere 5.0 is a preview version - so by that logic there would be many more there (including BEA). Seems like the victory of IBM's marketing rather than anything else!

7. At least IBM didn't claim compliancy before they passed the certification. If BEA (or any other server) could pass the certification test suite with any version they would be publicizing it too. Obviously they have not. I think ALL vendors should either pass the certification, or stop claiming to be compliant.
  8. Sid,
    The ability of a product to pass all the compliance tests is a technical feat, not a marketing one. Being listed on the official compatibility page cannot be achieved by marketing alone. Indeed, anyone who has gone through the process will attest that marketing has very, very little to do with it. :)

Randy

Views are my own, not necessarily IBM's

9. Why does it make a difference? Passing 1.3 CTS is a technological thing, not a marketing one. I'd me more than happy to get a preview WebLogic 7.0 version which is fully 1.3 compatible, instead of currently shipping 6.1, which partially implements pre-final specs.
  10. Just for clarity, Pramati Server 3.0 is the first app server to be J2EE 1.3 'certiifed' by Sun.
    Just to say that certification (not compliance ) and hardwork (as Randy had put it mildly ) is what all this Pramati talk is about:) ...

Please check http://java.sun.com/j2ee for the official word!

Take care guys and have a great Christmas!

Srini
  11. There still seems to be some confusion here :)

The official listing of products that have been certified as J2EE 1.3 compliant (compatible) is at http://java.sun.com/j2ee/compatibility.html .

Press releases and other news announcements can be found at http://java.sun/com/j2ee :)

Happy Holidays!
  12. I go with John Hess's comment above and Srini's comments on J2EE 1.3 certification.

Only the "certification" from SUN ensures that whoever claims thay have a "J2EE1.3 compliant" server is really J2EE 1.3 compliant.

I would love to have use a product which is "certified" for J2EE1.3 by SUN ,where I can be confident of using all the features of J2EE1.3.

Cheers!
    Nag

13. To Randy[ Go to top ]

To eliminate whatever confusion remains (and help Randy's cause ;-))

Pramati was the first to be certified for J2EE 1.3 compatibility.

Websphere was the first to be listed on http://java.sun.com/j2ee/compatibility.html.

Merry christmas and a prosperous 2002.

an
  14. To Randy[ Go to top ]

Yes,
    Agree with Ashish! That should help clear the confusion!!

Great going Pramati and IBM!! Congratulations to Pramati for being the "David" (as in David vs. Goliath) and to IBM for breaking the traditional sluggish image !

Have a great season all!

Best

15. To Randy[ Go to top ]

Gee, thanks guys :)

Randy
  16. J2EE 1.3 certified[ Go to top ]

Well, I guess one thing we can all agree on is that it's cool to be J2EE 1.3 certified.

Having some 1.3-certified app servers available is hopefully a nice <insert seasonal holiday here> present for the J2EE developer community. Have fun and enjoy.

Randy

17. J2EE 1.3 certified[ Go to top ]

Glad to see the confusion get resolved.
    Good job pramati and IBM.

Best wishes for christmas and a great new year.
  18. J2EE 1.3 certified[ Go to top ]

As mentioned in the Sun Site, Pramati is the App.Server certified by Sun.Then WAS 5.0. What is the big deal in that. I hope we are discussing on wrong things yaar.. Lets have discussion on the features of these two app. servers and letz make out what are the features made them to certified by SUN.
    Congrats to Pramati n IBM....

Raj
  19. J2EE 1.3 certified[ Go to top ]

The problem with Sun's J2EE 1.3 certification is that it cost $500,000 to get the license for the test suite. This makes it impossible for any open source app server like JBoss to get certified. I'm not saying that JBoss is J2EE 1.3 compliant at this time because it isn't. But it could be in the next few months.

The money Sun is getting for licensing is such a miniscual portion of the overall revenues that it just makes no sense to think of it as a revenue stream.

Free the licensing and let everyone have a shot at certification.
  20. J2EE 1.3 certified[ Go to top ]

$500,000 ???

Why so high? Sounds more like a barrier to market.That is, if the amount is correct.
  21. Floyd,

http://java.sun.com/j2ee/

Says pramati is the first J2EE1.3 compliant server.

Kumar.
  22. That's a Pramati press release; the page at http://java.sun.com/j2ee/compatibility.html is the official certification listing page. WebSphere 5.0 TD is on it; Pramati is not.

23. Randy,
    If you notice, that "press release" from Pramati also has a quote from Sun. I'm sure this has Sun's approval.
    Hence I would go with Pramati as the first one!

It seems IBM's been taken aback with a bolt from the blue!
  24. [IBM Download Page]>Full support for JMS 1.2 for enterprise ready messaging

Did IBM release JMS1.2 :-)

Kumar.
  25. Mettu,
    I don't disagree with you.

26. I don't really see why this is that big of a deal as to who got certified first?

Just because a server is certified doesn't mean it scales well or is an overall robust application. The thing could have gotten released in a hurry just to pass the certification tests for marketing reasons.

I would never push a server into production just because it became compliant to a specification first. I want the one that best handles my application.

I like that a smaller software company has decided to take a run at BEA and IBM, but I'd like to hear accounts from people who have actually tested Pramati and deployed on it. How about some ECPerf numbers?

27. Linux[ Go to top ]

I'd like to encourage IBM to keep Linux at the top of the list when making releases such as this. IBM pushes Linux, yet the follow-through is confusing. This release should not have been Windows only.
  28. Linux[ Go to top ]

Noted. However, offhand what percentage of J2EE developers would you say does their development on Linux vs. Windows? (I'd say it's more on Windows than Linux.) This particular product release (WebSphere Technology for Developers 5.0) is aimed at developers, not for production deployments.

IBM of course supports Linux, but it's not a "one size fits all" situation. Hopefully this helps to clear up some of the confusion you mention?

By the way, essentially just the installation routines, startup scripts, and WebServer plug-ins are platform-specific; the rest is basically all Java...

Randy Schnier
  29. Linux[ Go to top ]

I'd agree that the *top* of the list should probably be Windows. But given that IBM has a superior Linux story and the e-server marketing campaign, they should continue their currrent level.