Spotlight on Oracle9i Application Server Release 2

Discussions

News: Spotlight on Oracle9i Application Server Release 2

1. Oracle9i Application Server Release 2 is the second generation of the industry's fastest growing application server. The new release adds over 250 new features including support for the latest J2EE and web services standards (EJB2, Servlet 2.3, JSP 1.2), new portal and wireless capabilities, and advanced clustering and security technology.

To learn more about this new release visit
    http://www.oracle.com/ip/deploy/ias/

FREE SEMINARS
    Attend an Oracle Internet Seminar today and explore Oracle's solutions with the experts, ask questions, and get the information you need for e-business success!
    http://www.oracle.com/iseminars/

Featured Seminars:
    - Listen to Oracle9i Application Server R2 J2EE Features (26:14 mins)
    - Live! Oracle9i Application Server: Unbreakable Reliability with Advanced Clustering on January 22nd, 2002 at 10 a.m. Pacific Time

Threaded Messages (24)

2. "industry's fastest growing server"

sure ... if all you have is 2 customers and find 2 more, your market share has doubled!

what a bunch of crapola from big O!
  3. I agree with the earlier comment!!! Oracle is trying to grab "mindshare" by making such unsubstantiated claims.

Thanks & Regards,
    Musaddique

Is there any Reward for good, other than good?
    Then which of the favours of your Lord will you deny?
    )

4. What a joke.

I thought I'd see something on J2EE 1.3 certification, or ECPerfs. I guess they have added 3 or four customers to their one.
  5. WebSphere still beat Oracle by nearly two times in ecperf..will things change ....good luck Oracle may the force be with, like your share price !

6. Spotlight on Oracle9i Application Server Release 2[ Go to top ]

Whoops excuse me .....that was Borland.....maybe Oracle should get involved snd publish some results:)
  7. While all other cliams are fine(thanks to Orion) , EJB2.0 is still not supported completely.

8. http://www.oracle.com/ip/deploy/ias/
    "Industry standard benchmark proves Oracle9iAS is faster than BEA, faster than IBM."

hmm, so the pet store demo is the industry standard benchmark?
  9. That benchmark was bullshit...... marketing crap....they probably got their graduate to install some software and create a nice graph in excel.
  10. Geez - such biting and scratching over oracle.
    Marketing is trash from any company - including ibm and bea, right? I think so. And, at least on my client list, companies are starting to take oracle's j2ee offering seriously - and I don't need to read some marketing garbage from the vendor to figure it out. I was personally happy to see them license orion's code and I am happy that they can share code bases for the time-being. Orion is one of the best appservers out there, in my opinion and from my experience, and both app servers are not that far away from being j2ee 1.3 compliant. They are certainly invested in achieving that particular goal. Will oracle ever catch up with BEA and IBM? Not soon, anyway - though both of those companies could use some competition in a big way.
  11. Hi,

Ok, we do know how Oracle marketing is. But, I´d like to know hoe the application server is. Someone of you sure you have tried it seriously against BEW or IBM. What happened?
      We are evaluating it to choose our applcation server, I would thank any technical information, not marketing information and how "evil" Oracle works.

At first glance it seems to have a very easy way for configuration and deployment, so it´s great for development.
       We have to evaluate performance, I will give you more information.

Thanks!

Jose R.
  12. Ok, I will keep the scratching and biting for Volkswagen who deserve it even more!

Seriously, Oracle has to try it. The market for database servers is well filled and all of their other tools are unbelieveably outdated and have been for some time now. So in order to stay alive they will market their AS as hard as they can. And I am sure they will succeed because a good part of their installed base will switch to their AS when time comes without even considering other options. Common behaviour. It will not be nice, it will not be open but it will be Oracle and many developers will go for it and make great money doing so. If I where to start a company now I would jump into it. So my point is: Oracle AS will get there and it will be something to reckon with. Keep an eye on it. Let´s just hope it will be more open than I now expect it to be. Otherwise I will start meeting Oracle J2EE experts not understanding J2EE. That would be history repeating itself!

Hans van Buuren, The Netherlands, Europe.
  13. Hans -
    You can really break the application server from Oracle into two parts - the j2ee server and the rest of it (unfortunately you can't buy it that way!). The j2ee component is very strong (by virtue of Orion), and at this point it would be difficult to use it without understanding j2ee at least somewhat. While the j2ee component (oc4j) hasn't completey gotten to j2ee1.3, they will take it at least that far. I definitely agree that Oracle will be someone to keep an eye on in the j2ee server world - if only because of their installed base. Anyway - I would hope that oc4j won't get to mangled up too much in future and that Oracle j2ee experts will continue to understand j2ee!

Cheers
    Ray
  14. I've tested out the new Application Server from Oracle and it is fast! It's way faster than BEA Weblogic. It's a little harder to configure, since you have to edit text files, but once it's set up it screams. I can't comment on 1.3 compatibility because I am testing it with 1.2 code.
  15. I've tested out the new Application Server from Oracle and it is fast! It's way faster than BEA Weblogic. It's a little harder to configure, since you have to edit text files, but once it's set up it screams. I can't comment on 1.3 compatibility because I am testing it with 1.2 code.
  16. <quote>
    You can really break the application server from Oracle into two parts - the j2ee server and the rest of it (unfortunately you can't buy it that way!). The j2ee component is very strong
    </quote>

exactly. the oracle 9i application server ships on three CDs, screws up your computer and isn't worth a cent. The J2EE portion (oc4j) is very small and very nice. I hope Oracle will keep to oc4j (and orion) server, trying to comply to J2EE standards.
  17. <Quote>
    exactly. the oracle 9i application server ships on three CDs, screws up your computer and isn't worth a cent. The J2EE portion (oc4j) is very small and very nice. I hope Oracle will keep to oc4j (and orion) server, trying to comply to J2EE standards.
    </Quote>

Agreed 100% - I thought I would give 9i application server a try and it is truly a pig. In a lot of ways it just seems to be a tremendous amount of random, un-integrated software. I *just* got the beast off of my machine. The J2EE container is all that remains.

Cheers
    Ray
  18. *a tremendous amount of random, un-integrated software*
    agreed :-), except that what you probably installed was the whole oracle suite, the database, enterprise manager, dba studio, sqlplus, etc., etc. Part of the argument IMHO towards oc4j is if you are working in shop that is already committed to Oracle as an rdbms platform. What you get in theory is the same level of operational support that you would get with the database, ie clustering, failover, etc.

<strong>if</strong> oracle does integrate well with the orion base they may have a truly compelling story.
    just my 2c
  19. I've test the oc4j developer release 2 againts J2EE 1.3 by compiling the petstore 1.3 demo with oc4j. Unfortunately
    I failed. I examined the EJB 1.1 and EJB 2.0 API and found some slight changes that Oracle engineers did not follow.
    Obviously, they tried to build their own code above the Orion core but until now they had not completed it. I'm looking forward to a fully J2EE 1.3 compliant OC4J when it is finally released.
  20. Have you seen pramati server (www.pramati.com) ? ... it supports J2EE 1.3 already.
  21. Have you seen pramati server (www.pramati.com) ? ... it supports J2EE 1.3 already.
    --------------------------------------------------------

Yes - I have seen it, more to play with than anything, really - I definitely liked what I saw. They have a good pricing structure as well.
  22. Perhaps you can help me.
    I downloaded windows binary version of Pramati Server 3.0,
    and Installshield just doesn`t run. It prompts and says something about searching a JVM.. and then dies. I`m currently running my test platform on windows2000 professional SP2, jsdk1.3.1 .
    I emailed to pramati support, and email couldn`t even reach there! Emails get returned: unable to find destination.
    Did I mess something in installation process?
  23. Pramati Server 3.0 installation[ Go to top ]

Hi,

It is unfortunate that you could not get through. Our support team is prompt in responding to all support requests.

The response to your query can be found at http://www.pramati.com/forums.htm at the pramati.server forum.

In case, you need further assistance, please post your queries at the forum or feel free mail me at srinic at pramati dot com

Incidentally, if you are developing on Oracle 9iAS, do try Pramati Studio (with built-in support for 9iAS).

s c
  24. Just buy Orion Server[ Go to top ]

Orion Server is what makes up the core of Oracle's product, and it is one of the cheapest and fasted J2EE servers I have used. Why would anyone pay for an Oracle 9i app server when Orion licenses are $1500 and you get the same thing?
  25. Well, boys hope you all had a good time bashing Oracle 9i.
    Give them some time, they just started on the right foot and have made remarkable progress. It's the least you can do for a staunch java supporter.

Anyhow, Oracle has been in the database business for quite a while(The first to release a commercial version of sql).
    In due time, you will all realize the importance of understanding databases in order to design a spectacular container.

They have been knocked up and hog tied before but managed to come out on top. Just something for you to all think about.