How To Speed Up JSP Development

Discussions

Web tier: servlets, JSP, Web frameworks: How To Speed Up JSP Development

1. How To Speed Up JSP Development (7 messages)

My team is doing Tomcat/Struts/JBoss based development. I find that we do not code as fast as I would like. I have seen rapid application development in other languages, and would like to replicate that in our work.
    1) Is there a decent WYSIWYG tool out there for doing JSP based development. It must understand custom tags. We are linux based, so ideally it would run there. I've looked into Macormedia's offering, and their sales rep basically said that they couldn't support it.
    2) How should we set up our directory structure? We started off with one big .ear file, but a change to any little JSP required a complete redeploy. So we moved to deploying the ejb's and copying the jsp/servlet code into tomcat/webapps afet each change. However, it seems that any changes to the servlet code now requires a restart to the web server.
    3) What do we need to do to move out code base from tomcat 3 to tomcat 4. A lot of stuff is breaking when we redeploy. Has anyone collected a to do list for this?
    I'll post updates, so that others can learn from the pain we absorbe.

Threaded Messages (7)

2. How To Speed Up JSP Development[ Go to top ]

My 2 cents here.

<quote>
    Is there a decent WYSIWYG tool out there for doing JSP based development. It must understand custom tags. We are linux based, so ideally it would run there. I've looked into Macormedia's offering, and their sales rep basically said that they couldn't support it
    </quote>

I use simple text editors like notepad and i have found it adequate to do JSP work because i have very less JAVA in my JSP code. So makes my life very easy.

To write Java - I use notepad too :) For HTML i use Macromedia Dreamweaver at work :) At home notepad :(

<quote>
    How should we set up our directory structure? We started off with one big .ear file, but a change to any little JSP required a complete redeploy. So we moved to deploying the ejb's and copying the jsp/servlet code into tomcat/webapps afet each change. However, it seems that any changes to the servlet code now requires a restart to the web server.
    </quote>

Usually if I make some changes to JSP and if it is cached in the server - I do not restart the tomcat. Instead I delete the localhost or the likes folder in the work directory under $tomcat_home folder. This makes the Tomcat recompile all the jsp files into classes and use it.

However if the class for java beans files from regular java gets cached - u might need to restart. You might try and trick the server to rebind. Let me know if u succeed.

My directory structure is usually based on sections. personlaized content goes into /my folder; private discussions goes into /my/discussion; private bank statement into my/bank; private savings bank goes into my/bank/savings; so on and so forth. Images go under the sub-folders.

If u have a better way that u think is possible please post it here too. Would be of great help to everyone.

<quote>
    What do we need to do to move out code base from tomcat 3 to tomcat 4. A lot of stuff is breaking when we redeploy. Has anyone collected a to do list for this?
    I'll post updates, so that others can learn from the pain we absorbe.
    </quote>

I have not tried this. So n o comments.
  3. How To Speed Up JSP Development[ Go to top ]

And yeah - If you need more help to speed up your work ;) hire me. udp at rfpcorner dot com

4. How To Speed Up JSP Development[ Go to top ]

I appreciate you taking time to reply.

As far as the wysiwyg tool, we are currently doing what you say below (EMACS/VI/IDEA etc) but I want something that does with JSP what any decent IDE does with Swing: Allow you to see what the end product looks like, click into it, alter the events, etc. I realize that this is asking a lot. Ideally, I think it would be something based off of the mozilla composer. Our graphic's designer uses Ultra Edit, but that is not really a programmers tool for JSP. I liked what MS had with InterDev, showed a diagram opf the pages composition, allowing you to click into each page. Something like that.

We keep the amopunt of Java in the page down to the absolute minimum. Any significant chunk gets pulled out into custom tags/beans.

There are better editors you can use at home than notepad.
    :)

I have no problem with the JSPs. I can redeploy them separate from the servlets and everything works fine. The problem is with the java code, and I just realized it may be because we are using application scoped Java beans for some common UI components.

We also have divided up our directory structure based on parts of the site. Additionally, (almost) everything is under WEB-INF and accesed throgh struts.

I found that the tomcat upgrade wasn't that bad. I had to clean up my tld files, and get the web.xml file in to proper order. The trickiest thing had to do with xml parsing. Basically, I had to tell JBoss not to start up with:

-Djavax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory=org.apache.crimson.jaxp.SAXParserFactoryImpl

So instead the tomcat parser was used (Xerces?).
  5. How To Speed Up JSP Development[ Go to top ]

Use Websphere studio to speed up the jsp Development
  6. How To Speed Up JSP Development[ Go to top ]

Hi Adam,

Welcome to the JSP world ;)

In our team, we are facing the same problems as you do (and probably everybody else using JSPs), looking for a good JSP RAD, nowhere to be found. So we ended up developing a GUI suite of server-side components which has a taglib as an interface. It's called TICL (tag interface component library), it's not a WYSIWYG, it's just a library, but it has speeded up things for us a lot. You can go and check it out at http://www.kobrix.com (the site was build with it). And if you do, please give us feedback, it will be very much appreciated ;)

As far as IDEs for JSP go, I would strongly suggest Forte (at java.sun.com) with its build in Tomcat server that allows you to "execute" JSP pages by right-clicking on them. It works on Linux, it's got many nice feature (such as CVS integration, taglibs support, good configuration management etc.) I haven't seen JBuilder 5, but it's probably as good.

Sorry for the kind of "promotional" post, but it's right on topic....

Cheers,
    Boris

7. How To Speed Up JSP Development[ Go to top ]

Nope, I don't want to change my framework, thanks. I want a Wysiwig editor for my developers, as an additional tool.
  8. How To Speed Up JSP Development[ Go to top ]

Ok, good luck. BTW, you don't have to change your framework with TICL ;), you can just use the tags/components in your JSP pages, if they help you be more productive. BTW-2, I have yet to see a WYSIWYG tool for GUI development that doesn't not rely on its own GUI framework....