IBM to rebuild Lotus family of software on J2EE

Discussions

News: IBM to rebuild Lotus family of software on J2EE

1. IBM's Lotus Software unit is retooling its family of e-mail, messaging and collaboration software with a big dose of Java. At its annual Lotusphere developer's conference this week, Lotus will announce plans to rebuild its technology to conform to Java 2 Enterprise Edition (J2EE).

Read more @ http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-824043.html.
  2. Sometimes I wonder if IBM is not being a little bit too bold lately. J2EE 1.3 has only been out a few months! I guess it's a desperate move to save Notes from M$, just like pushing Linux on mainframes was a desperate move to save the mainframe from Sun. I hope it works out for them.

Guglielmo
  3. IBM is stepping it up, but I don't think it is out of desperation. Its out about unifying there software under a single brand.

Linux on the Mainframe is a different story. They already have AIX competing with Sun rather well. Linux on the Mainframe is about IBM reacting to their customer needs to save their existing investments and at the sametime make use of some newer technology.

Views are my own and not necessarily IBM's.
  4. I don't think IBM are doing this out of desperation. If Lotus breaks down the "Groupware" functionalities into resuable J2EE components, then it will add to the arsenal for J2EE developers to build better applications with things like Calendar,Schedules,Email,etc - Think integration!(well, my wish anyway :-).
  5. totally agree with you. With .net out, J2EE editors must now quickly agree on a common set of GUI controls. Domino's controls could be the solution.
  6. It's a good news
  7. This is a smart move by IBM and it makes sense. Rebuild using standard software and standards - java and J2EE - so that you get savings in the code base and easier integration with their other product lines. You could talk Web Services but why not take the opportunity to rebuild the underlying architecture and move forward ? It does take guts since they have to see that this is initially infrastructure work that doesn't provide an early return.
  8. Ummm... 'desperation'? More like the 'desperation' of making a whole lotta money.

Linux makes mainframes a whole lot more accessible to people who never have and likely never will learn JCL. It makes them available to be used as the biggest, baddest J2EE/web servers you ever saw. And IBM just came out with a server, based on 390 hardware, that runs Linux and starts at $400K. I guarantee you these things will smoke a Sun E10K.

The only 'desperation' I see is some smart marketing decisions that will likely make a lot of money.
  9. Two separate points here:

Linux on the mainframe is about responding to what their customers want - protecting their huge investment in infrastructure - while moving them to a newer more standard platform. Another big problem companies have is a lack of developer talent on the mainframe OS'es. Here's a quote from a paper from a Linux Conference a little over a year ago:

http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/als2000/full_papers/thornton/thornton_html/

David Boyes ran a test under VM (VM itself was running in an LPAR of a medium-to-large System/390, from which it could use a maximum of 10% of the machine's cycles) in which he brought up 41,400 simultaneous Linux images before the virtual machine ran out of resources. Although this number is not representative of a real workload (it was Apache serving static pages only), there is a customer running over 3200 Linux machines (as of August 5), in production, on a single System/390. On August 2, IBM announced VIF, the Virtual Image Facility, which is to all intents and purposes a stripped-down VM, with the ability to run multiple virtual machines, but with the sophisticated monitoring and resource allocation tools removed. VIF would let you run hundreds or thousands of images; however, it would not let you allocate resource caps to particular machines, so it would not be possible to keep one greedy Linux user from affecting performance for the rest of the Linux images on the machine. Under VM it is easy to cap each machine's resource usage, and to change those caps on the fly.

And Lotus Notes has an installed base of something like 16 million seats. That's 16 million pairs of eyeballs worldwide looking at Notes and Notes Applications all day at work. To hang on to thos people, they need to get off the AWFUL client-server Notes infrastructure and onto J2EE.
  10. It is step in right direction.
    There are lot of big companies out there which need thier lotus Notes and middleware integration without pain.
  11. I am surprised IBM didn't venture into this java conversion many months ago. It's been ~ 3 years since Allaire/Macromedia made the committment to move ColdFusion to Java, by contrast. By now, IBM must have had the strategy to become the premier Java app server for years, yet only now begins to convert its flagship business app. over?