Discussions

News: Borland and Silverstream achieve J2EE 1.3 Compatibility

1. In two separate announcements, Borland and Silverstream today announced J2EE 1.3 certified products. Borland's Enterprise Application Server is now certified, and Silverstreams announced compatibility for both its AppServer and the products that comprise the SilverStream eXtend product suite. Silverstream and Borland join IBM, Macromedia, Pramati, Trifork, and Sybase as vendors with 1.3 compatible J2EE Servers.

Read Borlands Press Release.

Read Silverstreams Press Release

Threaded Messages (20)

2. BEA too[ Go to top ]

See http://www.bea.com/products/weblogic/server/j2ee_13_compliance.shtml
  3. BEA too[ Go to top ]

I don't think BEA is certified. It's just "compliant".
  4. BEA too[ Go to top ]

The article reads "BEA is delivering a mature J2EE 1.3-certified compliant preview of the leading application server—BEA WebLogic Server 7.0".
  5. BEA too[ Go to top ]

IMHO "delivering" doesn't mean "delivered"
  6. BEA too[ Go to top ]

Joe Doe: IMHO "delivering" doesn't mean "delivered"

Apparently that doesn't matter too much when you're the market leader ;-).

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.

7. Wonder why the folks @ tss.com didn't pick this up! :)

==========================================================

http://www.bea.com/products/weblogic/server/j2ee_13_compliance.shtml

On January 29, 2002, in a show of unprecedented industry alignment, BEA and other application server vendors collectively announced J2EE 1.3 compliance, demonstrating the progress of the standards-based approach to application infrastructure.

BEA WebLogic Server 7.0 Preview is available today!

Now that the J2EE 1.3 specification is complete, WebLogic Server 7.0 Preview has been made available as a prelude of things to come. It is fully compliant with the final version of J2EE 1.3 as seen on the J2EE Compatibility site.

===========================================================
  8. BEA too[ Go to top ]

Funny thing about corporate-speak: BEA page says:

"While other vendors are touting that they’re the "first to certify" with their initial offerings of J2EE 1.3 features—albeit in unsupported technology for developers not even suitable for production deployments—BEA proudly continues its leadership by providing production-quality features that have matured in thousands of customers and ISV deployments over the past year."

I definitely remember reading other vendor's press releases when BEA was the first to implement ever-changing J2EE standards - they sounded remarkably similar.

--
    Dimitri
  9. BEA too[ Go to top ]

Reading the thread reminded me of the confusion that surrounded the initial "announcements" of passing the certification tests. For a blast from the past check out this thread:

http://www.theserverside.com/home/thread.jsp?thread_id=411

The reality of course was that it was version 6.0 that they were referring to and I believe it wasn’t until December of that year we could get our hands on it.

Quentin
  10. BEA too[ Go to top ]

Joe Doe and Cameron:

Actually, the link does go on to say that they are *fully* compliant with J2EE 1.3 ... so why are you folks indulging in selective reporting?
  11. BEA too[ Go to top ]

It does say "*fully* compliant with J2EE 1.3", but I still unsure about certified. Actually there is nothing to certify at this point: BEA WebLogic Server 7.0 is only a peview edition.
  12. BEA too[ Go to top ]

George,

Thanks for your note. We only seek to provide accurate, timely information. Both Borland and Silverstream had press releases dropped on the wire that clearly state there products passed the J2EE CTS tests and were thus certified. The only press release I say from BEA was:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/020129/sftu056_1.html

This release only discusses that WLServer includes many J2EE 1.3 APIs and how satisfied all their customers are, but does not mention passing the tests or being certified. Since we have reported on BEA's excellent adherance to these standards as far as a year ago, there was nothing new to report here.

I am still unclear as to whether Weblogic has actually passed the CTS tests or not. If it has, please email me the details at floyd@middleware-company.com and I will post it.
  13. BEA too[ Go to top ]

Hi All-

BEA will be making our announcements about WLS 7.0 at our eWorld event in San Diego taking place on 2/24. We will be announcing a number of interesting WLS initiatives at that time. We'll have details about the beta program and we will unveil the official GA date of WLS 7.0

And, WLS 7.0 will be *fully* J2EE certified and production ready.

Tyler Jewell
    Director, Technical Evangelism
    BEA Systems, Inc.
  14. BEA too[ Go to top ]

Hi George,

George: "Actually, the link does go on to say that they are *fully* compliant with J2EE 1.3 ... so why are you folks indulging in selective reporting?"

I was simply bemused at the irony that ten other vendors could be 100% 1.3 certified with "production" releases etc. and that it doesn't really matter because the two most "popular" implementations are still not certified and one of those never will be. (I'm including JBoss as popular based on its heavily inflated download figures ... since I personally downloaded JBoss 17,000 times last month I know I'm one of just three people actually using it ;-)

Kudos to the vendors that hustled (in the "hard-driven" sports sense) to get certified early. Knowing the timing of 1.3, you've got to figure that more than a few Christmas vacations were cut short and quite a few long days were put in. Several are "from the ground up" custom J2EE server implementations that would have taken great effort to get fully 1.3 compliant so quickly; less surprising are the products that rely on repackaging most of the reference implementation itself (although nobody ever seems to notice this).

FWIW - Weblogic is a completely custom implementation, with the baggage that a product with a "long" history and lots of customers acquires. It's a lot harder to change a product the size of Weblogic without breaking everything than it is to stamp a company's name on the reference implementation.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
  15. BEA too[ Go to top ]

I think nobody can allege a product as "mature" when it just released and based on a new standard. BEA confuse me. If WebLogic can run as EJB2.0 server in many enterprise over one year, it can allege it is mature, OK?
  16. BEA too[ Go to top ]

Guglielmo:

Kindly read the entire announcement from BEA re: J2EE 1.3 compliance before making any half-baked comments.

thanks.
  17. BEA too[ Go to top ]

What I want to know is why the fact that the preview is available today is buried at the bottom of the page. Something for BEA marketing department to think about, that's for sure.

I don't think WebLogic realizes that there are billion dollar companies that patiently wait for the certification in order to give the go-ahead to their developers to use the product. Until then the developers (I among them) are stuck using the old release.

Guglielmo
  18. BEA too[ Go to top ]

Just wanted to clarify a couple of points:

-- BEA participated in the Sun J2EE 1.3 launch this week.
    -- BEA has a preview technology download available for download that is certified compliant on J2EE 1.3 by Sun. This download is available now.
    -- BEA will be making announcements about the *production* WLS 7.0 server at our eWorld event on 2/24.

Thanks,
    Tyler Jewell
    Director, Technical Evangelism
  19. BEA too[ Go to top ]

Thank you Tyler, for finally spelling it out that the product is infact certified! :)
  20. BEA too[ Go to top ]

Tyler,

Does "certified compliant on J2EE 1.3 by Sun" really mean, that it passed all J2EE 1.3 compatibility tests?
  21. BEA too[ Go to top ]

Yes. Our preview release technology passed all of the tests.