BEA Cajun to create apps that run on any vendors J2EE server?

Discussions

News: BEA Cajun to create apps that run on any vendors J2EE server?

1. BEA is now claiming that developers will be able to create applications on its soon-to-be-released Cajun framework and run them on any J2EE-compliant application server. The company also said it is not making proprietary extensions to the framework.

read more @ http://www.sdtimes.com/news/047/story4.htm
  2. From what I've seen of Cajun, it seems to be using proprietary JavaDoc type extensions around java method calls to delineate web service functionality, asynchronicity, etc. The backend engine then generates the necessary classes to handle the web service proxies to these methods. They also rely on server controls, which would in turn rely on app server support. Since initially only Weblogic would support such controls, the cross-platform compatibility seems unlikely.

They hope, it appears, that this mechanism is accepted widely by the java community - especially tool vendors and eventually Sun. IMHO, it seems unlikely that Sun and IBM would get behind such a method, since they have their own concepts for how J2EE works with web services.

The whole idea just screams of being incorporated into Java itself, in the same way as the Remote interface is used by rmic to generate the proxies and stubs needed for remote method invocation. If such a move was made by Sun, the whole purpose of Cajun would disappear (apart from a few pretty UI tools).

Dave

3. I have worked with BEA Systems in last 2 years and I am using their products in more than six projects in last four years. Except the fact BEA have a good middleware application server, none of their additional products meet the customer's I served. In last four years BEa have made a great impact of enterprise computing using their application server business, but instead of diverting that lead into other areas like Database technology, IDE development and integrate solution which meet any customer's requirements from a single vendor, BEA came up with some jung products like WLCS, WLPI, BEA PORTAL etc. Since BEA have a good name in application server business, some how they have succeeded in market for pushing this products into a level,Cajun is also another buddy in that junk list. Down the road when application server business goes into a freeware technology level,BEA's market value will be going down cuz they don't have much to offer other than app server in their business model. In my opinion it is always to have a vendor in my cleints information division who can provide me good service in all level and requirements instead of giving best in one service aned nothin in others areas. When such a consideration comes into management level IBM and Oracle is far far better than BEA.
    TechThead
  4. I have been monitoring this thread and I am surprised that BEA is not being bothered to comment.

I am currently evaluating web services solutions and the notion of Cajun is greatly interesting. The previous poster has, however, sown some seeds of doubt in my mind - afterall we should not trust vendors, no?

I do not wish for proprietary solution, but I want to use web services. IBM has some tools now. So does SilverStream. And Cape Clear. And AltoWeb. And Systinet.

BEA is telling me to wait for Cajun. I need to know if it is proprietary. Will it be subsumed by a JSR? In which case will other vendors will be better If it is not, it will disappear and I'm stuck with proprietary code.

If someone from BEA is out there. Please respond. I cannot wait months for this. If no response, then either they do not care about us users, or they have no answers to such questions.

Erik Fursprecher
  5. BEA will gladly respond to the community.

First, Cajun hasn't been announced yet. Deliverables and the roadmap for Cajun will be detailed in full at our eWorld conference on 2/24.

The content in the news articles with the interview by Byron didn't capture his comments quite right. Cajun is NOT proprietary. We can't go into a lot more detail until our conference, but some broad statements:
    * Cajun produces standard J2EE applications that can be ported to other application servers
    * Cajun supports some new standards that do not break or hinder Java or J2EE
    * Cajun strictly adheres to Web Services standards and has interoperability testing with a large number of Web Services implementations

Tyler Jewell
    Director, Technical Evangelism
    BEA Systems, Inc.
  6. Thank you Tyler

Now it is clearer, you are good politian. But still questions.

Can Cajun itself run on other application servers? Or would I have to build on BEA then port results?

You mention that Cajun supports some new standards. Where can I read about these? Are these standards JSRs or work at w3c? Or are they BEA "standards", unsupported outside?

Erik Fursprecher
  7. Hi Erik-

I'm dying to answer your questions -- and the rest of the community's questions about Cajun, but those are questions that reveal details that we are announcing at our eWorld event.

BEA has a very compelling story here for a very wide range of developers. We have created an open technology that will enable developers to be very productive. Information about our standards efforts and how the technology integrates with WebLogic, in particular, will be revealed in full in 18 days!

Tyler