Web Services Interoperability Organization Launched

Discussions

News: Web Services Interoperability Organization Launched

1. BEA, IBM, Intel and Microsoft on Wednesday are expected to launch a new industry consortium called the Web Services Interoperability Organization. The goal of the new technology consortium is to promote Web Services standards.

Details of this initiative are sketchy at this point, more links will be posted to this thread as they become available.

Read Giants forging Web Services Consortium .

Added Feb 7th:
    Also read Software giants unite for Web services

Threaded Messages (18)

2. The Consortium doesn't make much sense without SUN joining the group.
    For some strange reason J2EE vendors doesn't seem to be understanding the importance of JAX* for java developer community. One of the goals of JAX* specs is Interoperability. Why do we need another contorium (which excludes SUN for some strange reason) for interoperabilty of web services?

3. Sun's missing: who's fault is it?[ Go to top ]

It does seem strange that IBM and BEA are joining but not Sun. May be some Sun official can comment on it...

4. Sun has spoken ...

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20020206/tc/tech_microsoft_ibm_alliance_dc_1.html

Wednesday February 6 7:06 PM ET
    Sun Opts Out of IBM, Microsoft Web Services Alliance

By Siobhan Kennedy

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp., IBM and a host of rival technology competitors on Wednesday said they formed an organization to work on standards to make it easier for companies share information and do business over the Web.

The anticipated news sees Microsoft and IBM coming together with a string of fierce rivals in the technology sector -- including Intel Corp., Oracle Corp., SAP AG, Hewlett-Packard Co. and Fujitsu Business Systems Ltd..

The group, called the Web Services Interoperability Organization (WS-I), aims to provide companies with a standard way of using Web services -- the hot new market for software that makes it easier for different computer systems to share information to carry out business tasks such as purchasing or inventory checking over the Web.

The group brings together rival camps split between using Microsoft's .Net Internet technology and Java, a rival technology which was developed by Sun Microsystems Inc. SUNW.O

Sun Microsystems, a bitter rival of Microsoft, was noticeably absent from the line-up. But a spokesperson said ''Sun has been and will be committed to supporting industry standards as they emerge and evolve,'' adding ``WS-I is a good concept and bears looking into.''

The organization wants to ensure that companies use the low-level technical standards -- UDDI, WSDL, XML and SOAP --

that govern the development of Web services in the same way, Bob Sutor, IBM's Program Director for XML Technology said.

He likened it to the use of the English language. There are lots of valid ways of putting the words together to make sentences, but eventually people develop common phrases that succinctly communicate what they want to say, Sutor said.

``The collection of standards around Web services is much the same way,'' Sutor said. ``Once we discover the ways that people use them, it's good to call those out because this means that other people can start using them in the same way.''

This isn't the first time these companies have come together under the umbrella of Web services. But the news is nevertheless significant because it signals a growing acceptance among technology sector rivals to work together.

Java and .Net offer opposing ways for developers to write their software applications, therefore forcing companies to chose between the two.

Web services are designed to overcome these incompatibility problems by wrapping those software applications in such a way that they can be used on any system, be it Java, .Net or some other type of software system.

Sun Microsystems, however, was noticeably absent from the list of companies supporting the alliance, although companies such as IBM, BEA and Oracle, which support Java, said they acknowledged that linking software applications to do business was a big issue for their customers.

``We recognize that applications built on our platform need to be interoperable with applications built on other platforms,'' Byron Sebastian, BEA's senior director of product management said, referring to the linking of Web services between different systems.

IBM and BEA are bitter rivals in the market for application servers, the basic software platform upon which Web services and other types of software applications are developed.

As well as working on existing standards, Sutor said the Web Services Interoperability Organization would also work with Internet standards bodies, like the World Wide Web Consortium, to ensure future Web services standards, governing such areas as security, work together.
  5. Sun's missing: who's fault is it?[ Go to top ]

This may be a fault of sun

But real thing is that these people like BEA,IBM others want to take control of JAVA in their hand.
    They don't like sun dictating them.

They want to sideline sun.... for their business

But i thing sun should be respected,whereever JAVA comes in play

by
    shriny

6. we don't need no stinking Sun ...

Given all the troubles that they've been having lately, Sun should cede control of Java asap ... they've only been a big hindrance.

Let's face it:

- sun is not a software vendor (their app servers are a notch below crap)

- sun is singing the blues as IBM now has a larger % of the hardware server market (23% vs 20%, see latest Business Week).

- how much $$$ does sun rake in from java? :-)
  7. I wouldn't call anyone stinking, however, I do agree that everything doesn't have to include SUN. I feel IBM, BEA, etc.. favor Java when it comes to implementation of server components, yet they like Microsoft's standards on Web Services.

Although, Sun has Java, Compananies like IBM played an integral part in the creation of Java. Sun only has Java in name, but the IBMs, BEA's etc... know what they are doing and what standards to chase. Rallying around a single platforms has alot of risk, however having server components listen not only RMI/IIOP, but SOAP, HTTP, Queueing, etc... Multi-protocol components seems alot more open

(Views are my own and not any organizations)
  8. George,

since when is Intel software comapany and how does Pentium 4/3 or Itanium fit into web services arena?

it is very arguable whether SUN should have conceded control over Java or not ... and that subject has been debated numerous times in many forums ...

one might do some 'facing' here :)))))))

9. So, leave it to the largest software company and the "wanna be"s to try and put together a standard around a technology that is nothing but standard specifications!

Even though Sun is saying they are on board, I wouldn't blame a company for getting tired of sinking so much time, energy, and expense into create a standard to standardize on standards broken by the standards writers themselves!

Geez! No wonder we have such a bad reputation as software engineers for not satisfying the end user with software we write - we don't! Only in this industry and government can you get away with spending so much money doing nothing but making yourself feel good!

I can't wait until that standards group breaks into the Microsoft way of doing things and the rest of the group.. Don't believe me? Backtrack to SOAP several years ago and where Microsoft and others took it now that it requires another specification to clarify the existing ones..
  10. Is Sun on board?[ Go to top ]

"So, leave it to the largest software company and the "wanna be"s to try and put together a standard around a technology that is nothing but standard specifications!"

Well, right now we are creating very real applications for our very real customers using web services. We can make interoperate (Sun) Java classes with C# classes in a simple way. I'd say impressive for "a technology that is nothing but standard specifications".

"Even though Sun is saying they are on board..."

Sun has said, I quote, "WS-I is a good concept and bears looking into". If you look into WS-I, you'll find no reference to Sun, that hardly translates to being on board. I think Sun is not accepting that may be EJBs (not the whole J2EE, just EJBs) are not the best tool for the job (simple, distributed, interoperable business logic). If Sun doesn't move fast it may very well miss this boat.
  11. Is Sun on board?[ Go to top ]

Sorry for the confusion, let me clarify: I am writing web service implementations as well.. My issue is with creating a standard around existing standards.. I love the concept of web services, but at some point we have to say - enough web service standards, let's stick to what we've already created and not deviate. Let's implement, not standarize the standards..
  12. "I love the concept of web services, but at some point we have to say - enough web service standards, let's stick to what we've already created and not deviate."

May Sun, WS-I and the powers that be hear you!
  13. Is Sun on board?[ Go to top ]

Can you explain you comments on EJB in reference to being on board for Web Services? Web Services is not a competetion to EJBs. IBM is clearly pushing EJBs and Web Services together. Web Services is about accessing logic, EJBs are about Logic implementation. Together, they marry very well. Web Services does not expose any weakness in the EJB specification. Web Services will open the EJB specification to other protocols.

Microsoft may be using Web Services to access .Net components, but the underlying implementation of a C# Object from my understanding (please correct me) is still a COM Object or component.

(Views are my own)
  14. Can someone explain why http://www.ws-i.org is developed using aspx if its a neutral organization?
    http://www.ws-i.org/NewsEvents.aspx
  15. Let's focus on the message[ Go to top ]

Were the site created with JSP, Cocoon, PHP, Perl or whatever, would that make the contents any worse or better?
  16. RE: Can someone explain ...[ Go to top ]

The site was developed under the watchful eyes of the
    Chief Software Architect :-).

It's simple, Dollar wins over Euro !!!

<kumar_writes>
    Can someone explain why http://www.ws-i.org is developed using aspx if its a neutral organization?
    http://www.ws-i.org/NewsEvents.aspx
    </kumar_writes>
  17. Doesn't using crappy ASPX indicate Microsoft's dominance in the Org?
  18. Crappy ASPX?[ Go to top ]

In which ways ASP.net is crappy? Could you elaborate?

19. What happens to the w3.org WebServices Standardization
    Working Group efforts ?

What is the motivation behind this kind of group formation ?

-Saifi Khan.