J2SE1.4 Performance and Scalability Guide

Discussions

News: J2SE1.4 Performance and Scalability Guide

1. J2SE1.4 Performance and Scalability Guide (12 messages)

Sun has posted a guide to J2SE 1.4 performance boosts. J2SE 1.4 has a significant performance improvement compared to 1.3.1 in many areas including Reflection, JNI, Business Transactions, EJB, Servlets, IM, and more.

Here is summary of performance comparision between 1.4 and 1.3.1

Reflective Method Invocation - 20 Factor
    JNI Method Invocation - 74%
    Business Transactions - 58%
    EJB- 34%
    Servlets -35%
    Instant Messaging - 73%

Its worth moving to J2SE1.4.

One major improvement is 64-Bit JVM Support which solves limitation of Hotspot with 4GB memory problem.

Read more at http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/performance.guide.html.
  2. OK I bought it. I just installed RC-1 on my Windows 2k machine and adjusted my path and JAVA_HOME and ran JBoss+Tomcat and the performance was horrible. I discovered that the 1.4 JVM was hogging 140mb or memory compared to the 1.3.1 which is currently using around 21mb. It also shot my CPU utilization to 100% (not unusual) but it just stayed there !

I will try again when we get to GA on 1.4. Anyone else got any anacdotal evidence?
  3. Really?

I did some tests with Tomcat and definitely its not a memory hog as you mentioned. Is there any thing specific about your applition thats deployed?

Kumar.
  4. You need to consider that to take full advantage of many of the performance enhancements, you must rewrite your applications to use the new packages (nio, etc...).

My .02
  5. Angel,

In J2EE since I/O opertaions are containers responsibility we(J2EE Developers) need not rewrite our applications to take advantage of NIO.

Kumar.
  6. I've seen the likes of it with 1.2.1, 1.3 and 1.3.1 on Solaris an Windows. There's some bad blood between Hotspot Client and Tomcat. Hotspot Server seemingly doesn't have this issue, and no, I was never able to regenerate the situation consistently. RMI calls in the servlets and Oracle's JDBC drivers seem to make it more probable, though. Sometimes the system will work for a long time before it degenerates. Usually, everything goes back to normal after a restart.
  7. well, jdk 1.4 rc1 works for me. if it works so bad for you i strongly suggest you to send a detailed bug report to sun:
    http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi
  8. HI!
    I downloaded the 1.4 RC and installed on a Slackware 8 Linux box. I use it to develop applications using Forte4J. The performance is really good. Is noticeable the performance boost with this application. I made no tests, however, of performance with Tomcat.

9. I am using J2SE SDK 1.4.0-b-20 (RC) on
    - RedHat Linux 7.1
    - Windows NT 4.0 SP6
    with 128 MB RAM.

It's performance is excellent on Linux and fine on
    Windows. I am running Tomcat as well as NetBeans IDE.
    No problems!

Have a good day!

-Saifi.

10.  Are you saying that your app is performing faster on Linux than NT in the same HW configuration ?

That would be very interesting and nice to hear. So far I've heard opposite opinions (NT java being faster), the difference being attributed to differences in thread model. Maybe 1.4 made improvements in this area?

Michael
  11. No, from what I see, Sun's JVM still works faster on NT/W2K than it does on Linux. This is funny, as all other multi platform JVMs (IBM's, Rockit) run faster on Linux than they do on Windows for most applications (the application behaviour is the most important factor in JVM speed).
  12. J2SE1.4 Performance and Scalability Guide[ Go to top ]

I deployed Resin with jdk1.4rc and JDBC runs like a whild animal. (P4 1.8, 1G RAM, 64MB jvm, SCSI 160, Redhat 7.2, ).
  13. I switched my install of NetBeans 3.3 to use 1.4, now it
    runs noticeably faster and uses 30 megs less ram (from 120~ to 85~) I'm happy with it =).