Software Upgrade

Discussions

TSS feedback: Software Upgrade

1. Software Upgrade (7 messages)

I propose that the Server Side upgrade the forum software to use phpbb2. Its free and full of functionality that we, as posters, would all love to have. Search capability and profiles and even cute little avatars.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=7885&release_id=67923

Threaded Messages (7)

2. Software Upgrade[ Go to top ]

Are you suggesting that TheServerSide J2EE Community ditch J2EE for PHP? :)

A re-write of TheServerSide is currently in progress, you will see significant advances pretty soon. :)

Floyd
  3. Software Upgrade[ Go to top ]

I'm currently in the process of rewriting the forum software. If there are any particular features you'd like to see, just let us know.

/Rickard
  4. Software Upgrade[ Go to top ]

Haha.

Well, I have never been a fan of attacking a fly with a nuclear weapon. I personally think that J2EE is a bit of overkill for web pages. I would be happier if the J2EE comunity would start turning toward the natuaral playground of n-tier computing and away from the web. Sure, the web plays a part, but the part should not be the overriding focus. One thing the dot-com crash has taught us is that e-commerce as hyped by folks like BEA is dead. It never was alive really. Getting rich quick just doesnt happen.
  5. Software Upgrade[ Go to top ]

Id like to see threaded discussions, user rankings, and most importantly full search functionality. There is allot of knowledge on this forum that is unfindable because of the lack of that feature. The search box for the server side doesnt probe the forums. That much is clear and bothersome.

Oh and while you are at it, avatars would be cool too. ;)
  6. Software Upgrade[ Go to top ]

Id like to see threaded discussions,

Those are coming.

> user rankings,

Like community rankings, based on nr of posts?

> and most importantly full search functionality.

That's coming too, with sugar on top. We are integrating Lucene, so we can do some pretty fancy things with searching.

> Oh and while you are at it, avatars would be cool too. ;)

How about user-defined sigs? Would that be sufficient?

/Rickard
  7. Software Upgrade[ Go to top ]

I just posted a new thread, now I see it's discussed here: I would like a "printable view" of the discussions / threads. Currently it is loosing some words on the right-hand side.

Thanks,
    Tibi
  8. Software Upgrade[ Go to top ]

Another nice thing would be to enable users to mark certain threads as "watched", and be notified by email when someone replies to them.

cheers..