Fifth Web Services Series Article Posted on TheServerSide

Discussions

News: Fifth Web Services Series Article Posted on TheServerSide

1. In this fifth part of the Web services tutorial we will learn how to write interoperable Web services by focusing on examples that involve the integration of MS .NET and Java. Web services technology gives us the opportunity to pick the best technology for each particular piece of our system. We can use the MS .NET framework on the client side while still using the powerful and portable Java model for scalable server-side applications.

Read article here
  2. And then we can write web apps that will only run on a windows client, cementing the MS monoply.

I thought this was a Java web site...
  3. Adam,

This is most definitly a J2EE site. However, the point of Web Services is integration. It is very common to use MS technologies to write clients, but of course, we all know that J2EE is the answer on the server. Web Services makes it easier for us to perform this common integration task.

Floyd
  4. I must heartily disagree with out there.

I am interested in getting my company off the MS platform. Web services, based on open standards have been a real boon. Bug Tracker, CVS, and the applications we write for revenue all run as web applications. Slightly over half of our machines are Linux boxes. I get away with this because of J2EE for the server, and Java apps for the client. If we start targeting J2EE on the server and .NET on the client, I'm stuck. Plain and simple. I'd rather run TCL, PERL/TK, Qt, or anything that runs cross platform. Fortunately, I have Java, and it allows me to design on my platform of choice, and deploy to our clients. Granted the we are doing almost all straight HTML, it is pretty easy. But if I get the demand for richer UI, I will go to AWT/Swing for it. For communication I will use HTTP,RMI or IIOP depending, perhaps SOAP if I can be convinced it is the right way to go.

But I will not write MS specific clients. I will most definitetly not write .NET specific clients, because now all the legacy (ready Windows X where X < 2000) machines that all our customer's customer's use will be forced to upgrade to 2K/XP/NG.

If Mono ever becomes a reality, I will reconsider.

BTW, I have nothing against the writer of the article. I am sure there are people out there who's needs are met by the article. I just think the teaching people to use .NET technologies is a bad way to go. Sorry for the emotional response.
  5. I will most definitetly not write .NET specific clients, because now all the legacy (ready Windows X where >> X < 2000) machines that all our customer's customer's use will be forced to upgrade to 2K/XP/NG.

fyi... .Net clients run on Win98 also
  6. Good point.
  7. Are you loosing confidence with client developed by using Java , what sort of client ?? GUI or Web , does this mean Swing and JSP sucks?
  8. Isn't that VB front end is much faster then Java Swing. I was trying to use COM Bridge, but I figure there are some overhead there so if you can use web services to do this I think it's a plus sign for both java and VB developer don't you think so?

just my two cent opinion.

Duc
  9. Nitin,

I have been investigating whether web services interoperability can be tested using evalution downloads of Microsoft's products, but it seems that Microsoft no longer offers them. The SOAP toolkit and the .Net framework are available for evaluation, but the Visual Studio.Net requires you to be a certified partner.

Does another language (say Perl or Ruby) have a free download or evaluation? I would like to test web services interoperability without shelling out the bucks!

10. I don't believe that you need all of Visual Studio .NET. You should be able to get by with just the .NET Framework. (or perhaps what you're saying is that you can't get the .NET Framework by itself anymore?)

There are a number of SOAP implementations that support Perl, PHP, Python, Ruby, etc. Unfortunately, most of these implementations are built by people in their spare time, so few are product-quality. For a list of implmentations, see:

http://www.xmethods.com/ve2/ViewImplementations.po

or

http://www.soapware.org/directory/4/implementations
  11. I just checked -- you can still get the .Net Framework for free. See
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?url=/downloads/sample.asp?url=/msdn-files/027/000/976/msdncompositedoc.xml
  12. Zdenek...
    You show the "easy" interop example, with .NET service using style="rpc". In your next installment, please show an example of .NET service using style="document" with Java client. This example is very relevant because if you look at www.xmethods.com you will see that almost all .NET services use style="document". Moreover, style="document" is the default. Cheers, and thanks for writing all these articles. Very helpful.