Discussions

News: WMEE V1.0, a J2EE code generator is available for download

1. Sygel's has announced version 1.0 of the 'Wonder Machine', a J2EE code generator that creates stable and fully executable J2EE baseline architectures, including GUI, out of UML business domain models without writing any code.

Check out: The Wonder Machine J2EE Architectural IDE.

More info
    -------------------------------
    Wonder Machine Enterprise Edition (WMEE)

THE WONDER MACHINE GENERATES ROCK-SOLID J2EE APPLICATIONS AND FEATURES UML-BASED DEVELOPMENT AND SIMPLIFIED DEPLOYMENT FOR THE LEADING APPLICATION SERVERS

Features

Enterprise JavaBeans 1.1 compliant code generation with seamless migration to the Enterprise JavaBeans 2.0 specification

JSP front-end generation based on the "Struts"- and the "Custom Taglibs"-framework of the Apache-Jakarta Software Foundation

Reverse engineering engine to start from existing RDBMS

ANT build management support

GNU make build management support

No runtime dependencies: generic core library is shipped as source code

Support for the following J2EE application servers:
    - Bea WebLogic Server
    - IBM WebSphere Application Server
    - SilverStream Application Server
    - JBoss Application Server
    - JOnAS Open Application Server

Support for the following databases:
    - Oracle 8i Database
    - Microsoft SQL Server
    - IBM DB2 Universal Database
    - Sybase SQL Anywhere
    - MySQL Database
    - Lutris InstantDB

A plug-in is available for the following UML case tools:
    • Rational Rose
    • Together ControlCenter
    • ArgoUML

Check out and download: The Wonder Machine J2EE Architectural IDE.
  2. First impressions[ Go to top ]

Some impressions after spending a few hours with the download.

Overall, I was impressed. Not many products get you as far, let alone work out of the box. Most of what follows documents my hurried stumbling rather than any deficiencies.

Since code is generated to fit a given vendor-supplied pattern, you obviously need to buy off on the pattern. I'll reserve judgment on that until I can spend some more time with it. As a minimum, the generated xsl/struts front end is a useful jump start in dealing with struts.

Tutorial:
    Select the Load Components button and go to the sygel/wmee/examples/com/sygel folder and select the ecommerce folder. (this will be the evaluation folder if you use an EVAL version of the WMEE).

Perhaps spelling out the folder names sygel/wmee/examples/com/sygel/ecommerce and sygel/wmee/examples/com/sygel/evaluation would make sense. I wound up scanning, not reading the documentation. My eye was drawn to the path and neglected to read the rest of the paragraph ;-)

Installation:

jboss / tomcat downloaded from your site defaults to C:\jboss-tomcat. Your installtion documentation suggests "TOMCAT_HOME e.g. c:\sygel\jakarta-tomcat-3.2.3"

On my win2000 AS environment the startup script for documentation and first steps did not work.

Build:

If environment variables are incorrect, it can be hard to see from output window. Consider echoing enviornmental variables &/or checking for dependencies.

Console:

There should be a way to copy to clipboard/save to file from the output window.

InitDB:

In my case I wanted to use the Sybase DB, I was able to connect to it via the DB2XMI window. In the DB2XMI window, create a URL and successfully retrieve the catalog, I'd expect the InitDB step to work. When it fails there is no way to see from the output window what DB URL it was using. If the initDB step fails, perhaps subsequent steps should warn user. After I changed to instant DB everything worked fine. Perhaps examples of the WMEE configuration

Start Server:

If user already has an instance and tomcat is not at 8080. Create an URL to the specific new port.

Pattern:

Have not evaluated/thought through your pattern yet. However, for the project I have in mind, we expect not to use entity beans extensively. Perhaps an example illustration a struts/xsl -> session beans -> business logic would be useful.

Code Generation:

Can you expose generation logic? Would be useful to implement other patterns.

Other:

DB: Create documentation on initDB for other that instantDB. AppServer: I'm intending to use Sybase EAServer as the container. It would be useful to understand where/how container specifics are maintained. Perhaps examples of the WMEE configuration

Price? How to purchase?

3. First impressions[ Go to top ]

What is the point of that compared to the open-source Xdoclet ?
    Xdoclet has the generated struts front end too and all the features (vendor specifications, etc, etc...) of this commercial solution.
    Besides, Xdoclet is freely extensible (for example to template the J2EE patterns quite easily).
    And of course, Xdoclet is integrated with ant and any open or commercial libraries thank to the template system.

Having new products on the market is always good for competition and emulation. Anyway when I have a set of open-source tool performing well as Xdoclet or Cruise Control, I don't see the point of buying this kind of commercial products.

4. First impressions[ Go to top ]

The point is that XDoclet is neither the best, nor most comprehensive or more usable or anything. It is simply free.

Just because XDoclet exists and is free does not mean you should shy away from new products, doing it yourself etc etc.

Free is not the best, or the most suitable, free is simply free.

I do agree that the current best of breed free stuff is very good. And I use it, but the cost of tools may not be the overriding concern. There are also commercial reason to shy away from free stuff.

Good luck with the product, I know it will be of vast benefit to many projects.

Jonathan
  5. ArcStyler has been doing this and more for a long time. In fact, the producers of ArcStyler were the first to coin the term "Architectural IDE" - as described in the book Convergent Architecture <http://www.ConvergentArchitecture.com> where all this is shown...
  6. Most stuff has been done before in one way or the other - there is not so much new under the sun. CompuWare's OptimaJ seems to fall into a similar category as well.

I guess it is more important who does it better, or has the better price/benefit ratio. Or whose solution fits your specific requirements better..
  7. Jonathan

> The point is that XDoclet is neither the best, nor most >comprehensive or more usable or anything. It is simply free.

It is simply very powerful, integrated and "templatizable"...

> Just because XDoclet exists and is free does not mean you
    > should shy away from new products, doing it yourself etc
    > etc.

Being free or not is not the main point.
    Sorry, I am not the kind of guy who wants to reinvent the wheel (I will not lose time to try to re-code (poorly) this process).
    Have a look at Xdoclet, generate from one entity all the helper classes, the facade, the business delegate and the Struts Form in one click from Netbeans or Eclipse.
    Then you'll tell me what's more comprehensive, simple and the best thing to do that.
    It would be great if you could teach me something about that because i am always looking to improve my process and the productivity.

8. Jonathan

> The point is that XDoclet is neither the best, nor most >comprehensive or more usable or anything. It is simply free.

It is simply very powerful, integrated and "templatizable"...

> Just because XDoclet exists and is free does not mean you
    > should shy away from new products, doing it yourself etc
    > etc.

Being free or not is not the main point.
    Sorry, I am not the kind of guy who wants to reinvent the wheel (I will not lose time to try to re-code (poorly) this process).
    Have a look at Xdoclet, generate from one entity all the helper classes, the facade, the business delegate and the Struts Form in one click from Netbeans or Eclipse.
    Then you'll tell me what's more comprehensive, simple and the best thing to do that.
    It would be great if you could teach me something about that because i am always looking to improve my process and the productivity.

9. Will you shortly release a plugin for WSAD (Websphere Studio Application Developer) ?