Discussions

EJB programming & troubleshooting: Oracle BLOB and CLOB with BMP on WebLogic

1. Oracle BLOB and CLOB with BMP on WebLogic (6 messages)

Anyone successfully implemented BMP with Oracle's BLOB and CLOB datatypes on WebLogic 6.0 and 6.1 using BEA jDriver or Oracle JDBC kit. We would like to know how you did it. We have been hitting the wall dealing with BLOB and CLOB datatypes on Oracle 8.17 using BEA jDriver shipped with WebLogic 6.1. The approach documented by both Oracle and WebLogic did not work for us.

I am convinced this is also a problem in other app servers. Perhaps, we all should also post our experience working with incompatible JDBC driver here (under this thread) to keep developers in Oracle, BEA, JDBC vendors and other J2EE vendors informed. Their participations in this discussion thread are deeply appreciated.

Cheers,
    Kevin Leong

2. Oracle BLOB and CLOB can’t be use with the Entity beans because these objects are not Serializable and the Oracle BLOB and CLOB implementation use the InputStream to transfer data.

Thanks,
    Monickam
  3. I read the same on old posting (year 2000). I thought they resolved the problem in WebLogic 6.1. Or, is it 7.0. I also read somewhere that CMP support CLOB and BLOB for Oracle. If your statement is true about serialization for Oracle, CLOB and BLOB will never work for Oracle in EJB. This is bad.

Regards,
    Kevin Leong
  4. Why? What's wrong? About a year ago I used WebLogic 6.0, the jDriver that comes with it, and Oracle 8.1.6 to read/write whole Word document from/into Oracle, all through a BMP EJB. Haven't done the same with the latest version of WebLogic and Oracle 8.1.7 though, but there is no reason it can't be done.
  5. Hi Kevin Leong,

Last year we did Blob with BMP on WebLogic 6.0sp2. we used DB2 7.1, Oracle 8.1 & MSSQL Server7.0 at the backend (we were requested to support all those Database). and stored JPEGs and MS-Word Docs.

I can remember we also had so many problem at that time. :)
    Our fron-end was a Brower. We accepted those files(either JPEG or MS-Docs) from the client side.

For Oracle We <b>didn't used BLOB </b>. instead we used LONG RAW to achieve that goal.
    In the middle tier we convert the file Object to bytes and stored that in to the Long Raw Field....

Hope this helps..

Regards
    Siva
  6. Hi Kevin Leong,

Last year we did Blob with BMP on WebLogic 6.0sp2. we used DB2 7.1, Oracle 8.1 & MSSQL Server7.0 at the backend (we were requested to support all those Database). and stored JPEGs and MS-Word Docs.

Our fron-end was a Brower. We accepted those files(either JPEG or MS-Docs) from the client side.

For Oracle We <b>didn't used BLOB </b>. instead we used LONG RAW to achieve that goal.
    In the middle tier we convert the file Object to bytes and stored that in to the Long Raw Field....

Hope this helps..

Regards
    Siva
  7. Hi Kevin Leong,

Hope this helps..

Regards
    Siva