Pramati's J2EE 1.3 Certfied Server 3.0 and Studio 3.0 Available

Discussions

News: Pramati's J2EE 1.3 Certfied Server 3.0 and Studio 3.0 Available

1. Pramati is now shipping the full version of their J2EE 1.3 certrified Pramati Server 3.0 and Studio 3.0 IDE. Pramati's server supports all the J2EE 1.3 API's, includes clustering capabilities, web-based console and more. The Studio IDE is a vendor neutral IDE and supports integration with several leading J2EE servers.

Check out www.pramati.com.

Press release
    ---------------------------------
    SAN JOSE, Calif., Mar 12, 2002 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Now shipping, Pramati Server 3.0 and Studio 3.0 provide features found in comparable BEA and IBM servers and tools plus visual guides to speed and simplify enterprise software development Pramati Technologies today announced immediate availability of the latest versions of its two flagship products -- Pramati Server 3.0, the industry's first application server to achieve Java 2 Platform, Enterprise Edition (J2EE) v 1.3 compatibility, and Pramati Studio 3.0 for developers who need an integrated development environment (IDE) for building J2EE applications. Both Pramati products are available now for less than a third of the cost of popular servers and tools from leading brands like BEA, IBM and Borland.

Pramati Server 3.0 was the first application server to be certified to support the J2EE 1.3 standard. As a result, Pramati Server 3.0 has all the latest features for advanced Java software development. Moreover, it was built from the ground-up to support the standard and no proprietary code has been added. It carries a high-performance Enterprise JavaBeans (EJB) 2.0 container and provides all other expected features for an industrial-grade server, including load balancing, failover and hot deployment, as well as remote monitoring via a Web-based console. Pramati Server also works with any J2EE-compliant development environment including Pramati's own Pramati Studio 3.0 and developers can get a standalone copy, usable for testing and debugging code only, for free at the company's Web site: www.pramati.com.

Pramati Studio 3.0 provides distributed development teams with a set of intuitive and intelligent tools that reduce the time and cost of developing standard enterprise components. Pramati Studio is application server agnostic and supports direct deployment to several J2EE-compliant app servers, including the popular servers from BEA and Oracle as well as its own Server 3.0, which is included to help with testing and debugging code. Pramati Studio also features a unique migration tool that allows code created with it to be moved from one app server to another at the touch of a button.

A Mid-Market Approach Quietly advancing for four years now, Pramati has been working on creating a low-cost alternative to leading platforms from BEA, IBM and others but targeted for the small-to-medium sized enterprise. "We're running into customers all the time who just need a great server and a great toolset but don't want to pay platform prices. That's our customer. The big guys are selling to the Fortune 500 companies who can afford them," said Jay Pullur, CEO of four-year-old Pramati. Although no formal research has been conducted, Pramati's surveying of leading analysts suggests that small-to-medium sized enterprises could account for more than $200 million in application server sales in 2002 and grow in pace with industry estimates of 50 percent annually. Giga Information Group estimates the whole application server market to reach $2.25 billion in 2002.

Focusing on Simplicity and Value Since it was founded more than four years ago by brothers Jay and Vijay Pullur in Hyderabad, India, Pramati has focused on creating tools and servers that cleanly implement the J2EE standard. To this day, no proprietary add-ons have crept into the products. Such add-ons are often the bane of IT managers trying to manage interoperability with the complex systems that run their companies, leading to high consulting fees. To keep itself on track and to provide value to the industry as a whole, Pramati promises it will adhere to what it calls a zero lock-in strategy: no proprietary code, no artificial hooks in the software to forestall interoperability and keep customers dependent on Pramati.

Pramati's team of 100 J2EE engineers, one of the industry's largest development teams, is also laser-focused on usability. Using guidelines found in the J2EE standards, Pramati's coders have built visual aids that guide developers through the process of creating and deploying enterprise software, hiding much of the complexity inherent in the process. "We've found that, especially with mid-market customers who are short on IT staff, that simplicity is crucial. We believe no one has made the process of developing and deploying J2EE applications easier than Pramati," added Pullur.

Staying Ahead of the Curve Pramati Server 3.0 achieved its J2EE v 1.3 certification in December 2001 after passing more than 15,000 tests in the Sun Microsystems J2EE Compatibility Test Suite, the first in the industry to do so. J2EE technology provides a unified, integrated platform that simplifies multi-tier enterprise application development and deployment in today's diverse corporate environments. J2EE enables businesses to protect and leverage existing infrastructure investments by linking existing enterprise systems with new web-based applications. Two core components of J2EE technology include industry tested and adopted enterprise Java technologies: Enterprise JavaBean™ (EJB) technology and JavaServer Pages™ (JSP) technology, as well as support for the eXtensible Markup Language (XML), thus extending Java technology computing into the enterprise-class arena. Pramati has a firm commitment to always be out in front of implementing the J2EE standard cost-effectively and for less technical users.

Try and Buy Both Pramati Server and Studio 3.0 are available now for a free trial at www.pramati.com.

About Pramati Technologies Pramati Technologies, based in Hyderabad, India but with significant operations in the U.S. and abroad, is a global provider of Java software development technology for small-to-medium sized businesses. Pramati Server and Studio together are a complete platform developers use to create and deploy applications based on Sun's Java 2 Enterprise Edition platform but at a fraction of the cost typically required. Pramati's U.S. offices are in Silicon Valley and New York and the company can be found on the Web at www.pramati.com.

Pramati is a registered trademark of Pramati Technologies. Sun, Sun Microsystems, the Sun logo, Java and J2EE are trademarks or registered marks of Sun Microsystems, Inc., in the United States and other countries.

2. what a self-effacing press release ... the story about the "two brothers" got me all teary eyed!
  3. Ever wondered why they havent written anything about you?
  4. oh the drama!
  5. "Ever wondered why they havent written anything about you?"

Heck, they haven't yet written anything about people who work their ... like yourself, for instance! :-)
  6. I hope you don't mind if I try to get the conversation back on-topic, but who here has used / looked at / deployed Pramati (the server)? Any experience with the tools?

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
  7. Cameron,

Before I joined Borland, at my previous job I evaluated Pramati Server (approx 2+ years ago) and was quite impressed by the product, ease of use and (Pramati) support during the evaluation process. At that time my recommendation to management was to go for this product based on its technical merits (and Support), but in the end, my proposal was vetoed and we chose WLS 5.x (or was it 4.5.x - can't recall the details).

(4 months later, due to slipping schedules, we re-evaluated our choice - and chose the Borland AppServer 4.0.x which had just been released then. We'd a lot of experience with VisiBroker, JBuilder & VisiBroker and the application we were building had Delphi clients - so the CORBA support played an important factor in the choice - and that system is still in deployment today :)

Haven't taken a look at the product lately though but I can't imagine they've (Pramati) gone down since then :)

-krish
  8. We are currently in the process of evaluating Pramati. Our intention is to possibly OEM their server with our product.
    We're also trying out Studio to see if it helps productivity during development. (We're porting a J2SE app to J2EE).

Re: the server it's a small footprint, single JVM implementation. We've found it to be developer friendly in the sense that it's stable, predictable and conducive to a rapid build, deploy, debug cycle. However, I can't speak to how it behaves under high load or to their clustering implementation. I'd be interested to hear any views on that. As an OEM possibility, we have no complaints.

Re: Studio, it has helped my programmers to focus on writing components instead of spending their time on packaging and deployment issue. (Note that our team is Java heavy, but not too J2EE heavy). The option to deploy to Weblogic is nice since that is the other app server we support. The tool is not without its quirks and could use some polish overall, but it's definitely worth trying.

Re: development time pricing, they're competitive.

Re: support during the eval. We've had a very positive experience with their support team. The Studio documentation is reasonable. On the other hand, the server documentation is fairly sparse which can get frustrating sometimes go.

Some loose ends to tie up, but I think Pramati is worth a shot. HTH.

9. Comprehensive documentation is now available for Pramati Server 3.0. The documents include:

1. Installation Guide
    2. Administration Guide
    3. Console Guide
    4. Deployment Guide
    5. Security Guide

You can find these at http://www.pramati.com/developer/res_psv30.htm

Vinay Bapna
    Pramati Technologies