GigaSpaces Announces Release of the GigaSpaces Platform 2.0

Discussions

News: GigaSpaces Announces Release of the GigaSpaces Platform 2.0

1. GigaSpaces Technologies, announced today the release of the GigaSpaces Platform 2.0, a commercial implementation of Sun's JavaSpaces technology, enhanced by features such as clustering services, support for JDBC and Web Services integration. What does the community think of this J2EE alternative?

GigaSpaces Platform 2.0 is available for free evaluation at: http://www.gigaspaces.com/downloadsA.htm.

Press Release
    ----------------
    NEW YORK, Mar 18, 2002 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- GigaSpaces Technologies, announced today the release of the GigaSpaces Platform 2.0, a new version of GigaSpaces Platform.

The Platform is a Synchronization and Coordination software infrastructure for information collaboration. Specialized for, Enterprise Distributed Applications and Web Services, the GigaSpaces Platform is a commercial implementation of Sun's JavaSpaces technology, enhanced by many powerful features such as clustering services, support for JDBC and Web Services integration.

GigaSpaces Platform 2.0 is now available for free evaluation at: http://www.gigaspaces.com/downloadsA.htm GigaSpaces Platform 2.0 is a major upgrade of the GigaSpaces Platform. In this version GigaSpaces has upgraded from a single server platform to a distributed, multi-server, clustered platform. This dramatically improves high availability and scalability support of the GigaSpaces Platform. The Platform is now more accessible thanks to the innovative Web Services integration.

GigaSpaces Platform 2.0 Enterprise Edition includes the industries first commercial Space Cluster. Clustering services include; Replication Mechanism, which allows members of a GigaSpaces cluster to synchronize their state, Fail-Over Mechanism, facilitates a continuity of user operations in case of a failure in one or more space servers, Load-Balancing Mechanism, enables the distribution of user operations over several space servers.

"Our clustering technology is a generic solution for distributed data access, compliant with the JavaSpaces model; the ability to combine replication, fail-over and load balancing in various configurations results in the highest flexibility," says Asaf Kariv V.P. R&D. "The distributed space model reinforces our philosophy that the space is the network".

GigaSpace 2.0 provides transparent support for WebServices and a set of utility classes such as, Distributed Session Class designed for web applications. This feature is useful for users who wish to access the space behind a firewall. GigaSpaces' integration to Web Services is optimized for interoperability. It supports both Java and None Java application via the use of XML based technologies such as UDDI, WSDL and, SOAP.

"JavaSpaces™ and Web Services are a natural fit. Together they form a powerful infrastructure for building collaborative applications without compromising on either performance or interoperability, "says Nati Shalom, CTO. "The GigaSpaces implementation enables existing applications to use these new capabilities without code modifications. Other applications could use the space as the glue that connects them to the rest of the world."

"The GigaSpaces Platform 2.0 is now available in two editions, Enterprise Edition (EE) and Standard Edition (SE). The Enterprise Edition includes Clustering services and all the appreciated features of the Standard Edition such as, Web Services integration, support for JDBC, Batch Operations and more," says GigaSpaces COO, Rami Rinot. "This will enable our customers to focus on their development and organizational requirements."

GigaSpaces will be exhibiting at the JavaOne 2002 in San Francisco, CA for the second consecutive year. Visit GigaSpaces in booth 642 for the GigaSpaces show. GigaSpaces will present how companies enjoy the GigaSpaces Platform when they develop a sophisticated enterprise distributed applications and WebServices.

About GigaSpaces: GigaSpaces Technologies Ltd. is a software company established in 1999. GigaSpaces products are based on sophisticated algorithms, developed in-house, that use cutting-edge technology to meet today's customer needs. The GigaSpaces Platform is a commercial implementation of Sun's JavaSpaces™ technology with many powerful enhancements, such as Clustered Space, JDBC support and Web Services Integration.

GigaSpaces Vision: The Space Is the Network- Applications should be able to communicate and share information anywhere, anytime and without prior knowledge of each other. Visit us at: www.gigaspaces.com GigaSpaces, GigaSpaces Platform, GigaSpace, are trademarks or registered trademarks of GigaSpaces Technologies in the United States or other countries.

Sun, Sun Microsystems, Java and JavaSpaces are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sun Microsystems in the United States or other countries. All other trademarks are the properties of their respective owners.

Rami Rinot JavaOne 2002 Booth 642 Mobile: +972-56-383880 E-Mail: rinotr at gigaspaces dot com Website: http://www.gigaspaces.com URL: http://www.businesswire.com Today's News On The Net - Business Wire's full file on the Internet with Hyperlinks to your home page

2. JavaSpace impelemntations have a huge demand for memory. With several other programms open I get OutOfMemoryExceptions with 512mb. BUT GigaSpaces is much better than the Sun reference implementation (I only saw OOME twice).

GigaSpaces has a superb support. Use it if you want to do JavaSpaces stuff.

bye
    -stephan
  3. Indeed Stephan you pointed out the right things.
    Our implementation was designed for scalability from the ground up, both in the capacity dimension and load i.e. the number of concurrent users.

Having said all that our implementation was designed for simplicity as well as scalability, we invested allot of effort in order that developers would be able to use the platform out of the box and do some very sophisticated stuff with it without complex coding or configuration. We are continuing to work on improving that and i think that any one who had used J2EE , Or JINI would see how fast you could run sophisticated clusters , build large scale distributed networks etc. with much better performance using our platform.

With our new Web Services support we also opens up the way to use the space from any other language or platform including .Net. All this is done in a transparent manner.

Nati S.
    GigaSpaces C.T.O
  4. Hi nati,

why are you useing tomcat as a codebase server ? Wouldn't something more lightweight (Jetty ? Jo! ?) be better ? Wouldn't it be better to write your own http server, because I think it would be easy to write one who serves as a codebase.

I had a discussion with someone at GigaSpaces about a JMS wrapper. I wrote a layer for async object distribution which has JMS and JavaSpaces providers. Again I suggest writing an JMS wrapper for JavaSpaces. Not for competing with other JMS providers on the market but to make it easy to integrate JavaSpaces / Kini projects in existing enterprise infrastructures (just add the JavaSpaces-JMS provider in your EJB container and you can use MessageBeans that receive objects written to a JavaSpace).

bye
    -stephan
  5. Hi Stephan
    There are several reasons for using tomcat:
    1. It is used not just for code serving but also for other purposes such as the web services support which requires tomact.
    2. We had found that it is a very common scenario to have web pages interacting with the space for content sharing , session sharing , messaging etc. In fact we had used this option in some of the project we had been involved with.
    3. It is a well known server , people know how to use it how to configure it and it is reliable.
    4. It is not that heavy :)

As for the JMS issues
    In general we had given that a thought in the past but decided to postpone that option for a while, i will have asaf the person who dealt with that answer this one in more details.

Nati S.

6. Thanks for your tomcat clarification,

bye
    -stephan
  7. Regarding writing a JMS layer on top JavaSpaces/GigaSpaces.
    Well, this subject did came up a few times, and it's on our wish-list. We do see the advantages, as we keep a close eye on the J2EE marketplace, and JMS/MDB is a standard.

However, resources and priorities dictate the rithm. So I do not anticipate this in the very near future, unless some unexpected business need arises.

If you have a specific issue of getting objects from a space and dispatch them into a JMS destination that a MDB listens on, it should be fairly easy to write such an agent. This is much easier than writing a complete JMS layer onto of a space.
  8. to license?

Geoff

9. Hmm, why does one always have to dance a silly dance just to find out the price? 5 days and no answer to my original question. Must be so expensive they are afraid to quote it.

I find my interest in Gigaspaces faaaaddddinnnggg.

Geoff