Discussions

News: Ask TSS: What will you be doing at Java One Next Week?

1. The Java industry's largest conference, Java One next week will feature tons of talks and sessions, announcements, parties and more. At this Java One, Sun and the vendors will be heavily pushing their J2EE 1.3 and Web Services solutions. Can't make it to Java One? Don't worry, TheServerSide will be providing day-by-day coverage.

At this conference, TheServerSide will be doing the next batch of Hard Core Tech Talk interviews, and be part of three talks, and have a book signing:

Check out my Technical Session (#2459) on Thursday at 2:45, where I will be presenting a talk entitled "An architects guide to 20 EJB 2.0 Design Patterns", based on the patterns in my book and on TheServerSide. I will also be giving away a few copies of my book.

You can also get your copy of EJB Design Patterns signed by the author (me) at 6:30PM on Wednesday, at the bookstore.

If you want a sneak preview of some of how EJB 2.0 is being used in Rickard Oberg's super cool new TheServerSide.com codebase (which will go live in April), you can come by the EJB 2.0 Panel discussion on Thursday at 11am (TS-1733), where I will spend a few minutes talking about how we are using EJB 2.0 on the new TSS codebase.

Another interesting talk is former TSS architect Ed Saikali's BOF on J2EE Code and Release Managment Best Practices on Thursday at 8pm.

see you there!

Floyd Marinescu

ps - If you will be attending, use this thread to let everyone know what you think the coolest things to see will be. Also, do drop by on TheServerSide and share your experiences as we post daily articles on what is happening at the show.
  2. I have a feeling that not many people will be attending Java One this year ;-(

On the bright side, I completely agree with this Upside verdict. High-Tech Conventions are Useless and Lame ;-)
  3. Geez, you can say the same about anything. It's up to you to get whatever out of these thing, even if just going to the party. Stay home all you want, the rest of us will be in SF. See you there Floyd.
  4. JavaONE is different from most conferences I attend - JavaONE is a true geekfest. :-)

I'm the principal maintainer for TestMaker, an open source utility for assuring Web Services for functionality, scalability and performance. So I'll be going to JavaONE looking at these things:

Jython - the Python language implemented in Java. Jython makes a great testbed for trying out Java objects and new code modules. Several Jython fans are getting together for an informal BOF.

NetBeans - the open-source project that Sun uses to build Forte. NetBeans just shipped version 3.3.1 which Sun used to build Forte 4. I wrote the white paper for Sun on how to build applications using the NetBeans framework. The Czech team will be there.

I'm going to catch up with partners: CapeClear, IBM, Sun and BEA.

I'm going to get berated by Sun for not developing on Java 1.4 - this is an annual event at Java ONE, last year it was Java 1.3. I also want to learn as much as I can about the new JAXM/SOAP library (now in early access.)

I'm hoping to learn more about IBM Eclipse. The Eclipse team is hosting a party on Wednesday night at the ThirstyBear (601 Howard St., 2 blocks from the convention center.)

I also hope to meet with the Borland folks to show them my new code for TestMaker (http://www.PushToTest.com.)

-Frank
  5. Lots to do, see and learn at JavaONE[ Go to top ]

I absolutely agree that Java One is great fun - it is basically a fun-filled vacation paid for by your employer.

But some of the points Upside makes are perfectly valid - educational and informational values of the conference are very small, or non-existant. Honestly, what do you expect to learn about Eclipse at ThirstyBear versus downloading the code and reading articles posted at www.eclipse.org?

And yes, it sucks that I cannot attend J1 this year ;-)
  6. "Honestly, what do you expect to learn about Eclipse at ThirstyBear"

On the contrary, I think you can get the most education by talking to peers over a drink or two. Many formal presentations (especially product-centric presentations) are just a slide-show presentation/sales pitch of information you can get from a web site anyway. Often, the only dialog in a session is dominated by one or two jackasses in the audience with their own agenda that won't shut up.

Informal meetings often lead to more one-on-one discussions between users that reveal more honest information. I attended SDExpo last year and one of the more rewarding experiences was at the bar across the street from our hotel listening several leaders in the development community talk about their development philosophies. It was a lot more interesting (and valuable) than most sessions I attended.

As for the value of conferences, I think you get out of them what you put into them. If you go for a vacation to California (or where ever) on the company dime to collect free vendor frisbees and T-Shirts, it is probably a waste of time. If you go to gleen information/techniques/new ideas for development peers and experts to improve your current skill set, then I would say they are extremely valuable.
  7. Lots to do, see and learn at JavaONE[ Go to top ]

<quote>
    Honestly, what do you expect to learn about Eclipse at ThirstyBear versus downloading the code and reading articles posted at www.eclipse.org?
    </quote>

I want to learn about the Eclipse development team's resistance to the fine brews dispensed at the Thirsty Bear. I couldn't find this info anywhere in their docs.

--
    Cedric
    (see you there!)

8. I won't be going to JavaOne because its way too expensive. Instead, I will be attending the alternative, JBossOne. Go to http://www.jboss.org for details.
  9. JBoss at JavaONE[ Go to top ]

Ah, the shadow conference... that's exactly what I'm looking for: cool people that are working on code and are willing to share ideas, techniques and opinions. The JBoss events look good.

From the JBoss web site:

Free code; free beer! San Francisco, Tuesday and Wednesday, March 26 and 27, 9-5 at the Thirsty Bear Brewing Company. Meet the stars behind JBoss. These will be the most technically advanced talks in San Francisco this week. The room sits 100 people and already folks are writing in to reserve because they are buying their plane tickets JUST for this event. So spread the word, get up early, and come knock yourselves out with code. Come meet the Open Source developers: Sacha Labourey (Switzerland), Bill Burke (USA), David Jencks (USA), Christoph Jung (Germany), Julian Gosnell (UK), Greg Wilkins (Australia), Juha Lindfors (Finland), Dain Sundstrom (USA), Scott Stark (USA), Andreas Schaefer (USA), and Marc Fleury (the moon). We will feature guest speakers Steve Wilkes and David Brown from our platinum sponsors AltoWeb and GemStone, respectively. On the business track, Nathalie Mason, JBoss Group's Director of Business Development, and Larry Rosen, JBoss Group's lawyer and Executive Director for Open Source Initiative (OSI) will also be speaking. Schedule

JBoss Party Tuesday March 26 from 8pm-2am at 111 Minna Gallery. Welcome to the new Underground; come to the most "with it" party this side of the Miami Winter Conference. Brought to you by the people who, in the immortal words of Derrick May, "feel the funk."
  10. Looking forward to next week. And I am definately going to your Technical Session (#2459). It would be nice to match a face to all the disscussions I seen in this site.
  11. How come you guys do not have a booth this time? At least I didn't see it today.
  12. It has been a year since the J2EE Connector Architecture was first introduced at JavaOne. EIS vendors, appserver vendors and BPM tool makers alike have woken up to the exciting prospects that this technology has to offer. Coupled with the existing J2EE features (pre-J2EE 1.3) this allows for building a better, more integrated enterprise application overall. What would be interesting is to take a look at the products in the market and in the assembly line.

If a company has already invested in an integration broker capable of managing global processes, it will be only logical to connect it to a J2EE application server that will manage presentation and security. If not, the J2EE Connector Architecture , provides the application server with a single access interface to enterprise applications, just as JDBC standardized access to different relational databases. (See http://e-serv.ebizq.net/aps/techmetrix_2.html)

There is a lot of value J2EE CA brings to the table, ISVs trying to solve their last mile problem and enterprises trying to solve the integration problems efficiently. There are companies that have built connectors for the major backend EIS flavors. Resource Adapters, Inc. (RAi - http://www.resourceadapters.com) for instance, "offers cost-effective, rapid deployment integration solutions based on the J2EE Connector Architecture standard, that are completely platform agnostic and can plug-and-play on any J2EE 1.3 compliant platform." This sort of feature is very unique as opposed to plain vanilla connectors that may tie you to a particular appserver-EIS combination. That is the kind of value that J2EE CA brings in. Appserver vendors like BEA (http://edocs.bea.com/) and IBM (http://www-3.ibm.com/software/info1/websphere/index.jsp) to just name a couple, already have implementations in this segment letting you "connect and integrate assets within the enterprise and with trading partners".

So this year at JavaOne, I am taking a close look at some of the products on offer in the integration segment. I would like to see if these connectors offer themselves as Web Services. The possibilities, then, are limitless. :)