Discussions

News: TheServerSide at JavaOne : Exclusive Day 1 Coverage Posted

1. Exclusive Day 1 coverage of JavaOne has been posted, including keynote Presentations by Richard Green and James Gosling, perspective and insight on this year's JavaOne climate, a briefing of J2SE 1.4 Release, new releases by Oracle, Sitraka's Deployment director tool, and plans for JBoss One.

Read Day 1 Coverage here

Threaded Messages (4)

2. JavaONE (day 1 and 2) thoughts[ Go to top ]

JavaONE has been a good show so far. Here’s what I have found:

Sys-con Media (publisher of Java Developers Journal, XML Journal, and many others) is doing audio interviews with Hugh Grant, CTO of CapeClear, Dave Chappell of Sonic and about 50 others at http://www.sys-con.com/java/javaone2002.cfm

Many sessions stressed performance, scalability and maintainability. The Sun team is very proud of Java 1.4’s improved IO system and overall optimizations. Sun is maintaining a page on performance at: http://java.sun.com/docs/performance.Many of the presentations showed actual speed comparisons. For example, Oracle’s presentation on their 9i-based application server did a head-to-head comparison of their J2EE EJBs versus .NET and showed terrible scalability problems in .NET.

The focus on scalability and performance has worked very well for BEA. WebLogic Server 7 and Workshop make it very easy to build asynchronous message-based EJB-based Web Services. Many developers I watched were surprised to see Workshop handling sessions, message queues and XML data mapping. The graphical tool lets you visually build a Web Service that connects to databases, EJBs, and other Web Services. Adding sessions and queues is a one-or-two click option. Workshop is also an IDE so adding business logic written in Java is enabled through the built-in editor. WebLogic Server 7 and Workshop beta is available for free download at BEA’s web site. I’ve tried it and it’s a solid beta with few bugs.

This conference reflects the recessionary times we are in: Although the conference pass costs $2000, the lunches have been terrible (cardboard boxes with a roast beef sandwich and potato chips), the exhibit hall carpet doesn’t have the typical underlying mat so walking around gets really tiring, the Birds-of-a-feature sessions have been a 4 block walk away from the convention center with no transportation provided, and there is not much presence from companies other than Sun.

The JBoss folks are holding up at the ThirstyBear microbrew pub a block away from the convention center in a mini-protest from not being included in the conference - the beer is better at the ThirstyBear anyway so it’s not much of a protest. hehe. One concession to JBoss seemed to be a single Birds-of-a-feather session on Jetty - the open-source HTTP and Servlet server - that is bundled into JBoss. That BOF was great, with lots of interaction and good questions.

The NetBeans group of Sun put on a very good show. About 10 companies that have built their applications on top of NetBeans are in the exhibit hall. NetBeans is a good framework for building graphic applications in Java. Sun is about to publish the white paper I wrote for them on how to build applications with NetBeans. If you’d like an advance copy then send an email to me at fcohen at pushtotest dot com.

IBM’s Eclipse team - which is competing with NetBeans - has its party tonight (Wednesday) and I’ll get going. I’ll post something tomorrow on what I see and learn.

-Frank
  3. JavaONE (day 1 and 2) thoughts[ Go to top ]

NetBeans used to be my IDE of choice but I have to say that ever since I started using Eclipse, it's been hard to look back. I am very much looking forward to the Eclipse gathering tonight, I guess I'll see you there.

--
    Cedric
  4. JavaONE (day 1 and 2) thoughts[ Go to top ]

I totally agree. Anyone who is seriously looking into IDEs should give it a shot and get know it by themselves. It will be worth the effort.
  5. Eclipse Usability?[ Go to top ]

What do you think about the user interface in Eclipse?

I attended the Eclipse party - just the tail end of it - and got to meet some of the Eclipse developers. They are very nice, hard working, sincere people. They have a good product for EJB and Web Service development.

The only problem I would see Eclipse having is in usability. I find myself going down rabit holes more often than not in Eclipse. The Eclipse manager I spoke with said that IBM has many design experts that they will be using in subsequent versions but they focused on delivering functions so far.

Eclipse, NetBeans and BEA Workshop all look like good products to me. It's amazing to find such value out there for free.

-Frank