ICS Announces Kronos Enterprise Scheduler 4.0

Discussions

News: ICS Announces Kronos Enterprise Scheduler 4.0

1. ICS Announces Kronos Enterprise Scheduler 4.0 (12 messages)

Version 4.0 of Kronos, the enterprise job scheduler adds the new concept of File Triggered Jobs, an integrated Job Agent component, performance improvements, new job management features, improved UNIX support, and support for additional databases and application servers.

Press Release
    -----------------------------
    Paramus, NJ – March 28, 2002 - Indus Consultancy Services (ICS) today announced a major new release of Kronos Enterprise Scheduler, a full-featured J2EE job scheduling system that companies around the world in diverse markets from health care to energy providers have come to rely on for managing the scheduling of batch and event-driven jobs within their enterprise.

Version 4.00 adds the new concept of File Triggered Jobs, an integrated Job Agent component, performance improvements, new job management features, improved UNIX support, and support for additional databases and application servers.

One of the most anticipated features of the new version is File Triggered Jobs. A File Trigered Job is a job which executes upon the change in state of a file, specified either by filename or file extension. File Triggered Jobs can be defined to execute upon creation, modification, or deletion of the file, or any combination of those. For example, a job could be defined which executes anytime that a file with a “SQL” extension was created or modified. The job might then process that SQL file, loading data into a corporate database. “This is a significant new enhancement that gives users more control over the timing of job executions,” explained Dale V. Georg, Product Manager for Kronos Enterprise Scheduler. “It was also the key to our most recent sale to a major US energy supplier.”

Maintenance of the Kronos Enterprise Scheduler deployment is made easier by the introduction of an integrated Job Agent. The Job Agent combines the Job Executor and Command Manager from previous releases into sub-components of a single process, and adds a third sub-component, the File Monitor, for supporting File Triggered Jobs. This integration allows the system administrator to only have to configure a single component on each of the machines in a Kronos Enterprise Scheduler deployment.

Continuing their commitment to officially support as many J2EE platforms as possible, ICS has added support for the Sybase EAServer 4.1 application server and the Sybase Adaptive Server database to Release 4.00. “We already have customers using Adaptive Server,” said Mr. Georg. “But this release makes the support official, with the inclusion of Sybase database scripts.”

Similarly, UNIX support has been improved. While several customers are running against UNIX-based platforms such as AIX, Solaris, and HP-UX, this is the first release of the product to contain UNIX installation, configuration, and start-up scripts. Re-direction of output from Command Tasks to output files has also been improved to work better on UNIX platforms.

All of the features of Kronos Enterprise Scheduler continue to be available through an open API, which means that the product is perfect not only as an end-user tool, but also as a job scheduling component for bringing scheduling functionality to your own applications.

To find out more about Kronos Enterprise Scheduler, and learn why companies like Definity Health, the Swedish National Debt Office, and others are selecting this powerful and innovative product to handle their scheduling needs, visit the ICS website at http://www.indcon.com Request a FREE 30-day evaluation and see for yourself why Kronos Enterprise Scheduler remains the most comprehensive solution on the market today.

2. Nice. This is a sorely lacking component in J2EE, I wouldn't be surprised to see it emerge as part of the spec in the (hopefully near) future. It's really a no-brainer.
  3. Ray,

EJB 2.1 Timers address the same problem.

Kumar.
  4. Great!
  5. Another solution (and very popular) is Flux from Sims Computing:

http://simscomputing.com/products/flux/

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
  6. There is another software SuperScheduler from
    http://www.acelet.com
    It support clustering. You can schedule on any
    machine at any time within your network using
    a GUI tool.
  7. Hi, Cameron. Are you implying that our product is NOT popular? :) Seriously, though, there are some key items where Kronos Enterprise Scheduler distinguishes itself from Flux.

First, Kronos Enterprise Scheduler is a complete end-user system with an open API, rather than a scheduling component. Our end user interfaces allow you to create, modify, and monitor jobs either from a Java client or over the Web. Admittedly, Flux does have some very basic Web pages for defining a command-line job and for monitoring job status, but Flux is really intended as a programmer's product, not an end-user product. Kronos Enterprise Scheduler was always intended to serve both needs.

Which takes me to a second key difference. Scheduling Java-based jobs in Flux (ie, call a method on a Java class at a given time) requires that your Java class implement a Flux-provided interface. Kronos Enterprise Scheduler has no such requirement, which makes it much easier to schedule execution of functionality in existing applications. This has been a deciding factor for many of our customers.

There are a number of other features which we have and Flux does not. Anyone who would like to see our Product Comparison Sheet which compares Kronos Enterprise Scheduler to both Flux and also Tempo (the other J2EE Scheduler that I am aware of - from a company called Verge, I believe) can drop me a line at dgeorg at indcon dot com and I would be more than happy to send it along.

Dale
  8. Hi Dale,

I have briefly invested three schedulers: Flux, Kronos and SuperScheduler.

I agree with you that Flux needs GUI, therwise it will be
    difficult to exist after EJB 2.1 is widely used.

I browsed Kronos screen shots (one of my co-workers applied an evaluation
    copy of your software, but never heard anything from your company). They
    did not suggest that you can visually schedule an EJB job, while
    SuperScheduler can list all your ejb methods for you to pick up.

Your screen shots and new feature "file trigged job" gives my a feeling that
    your system is not designed for clustering. A file is machine dependent.
    What is going to happen if "the" machine is out of duty?

SuperScheduler does not rely on any particular machine. You can run
    scheduler on any machine on the network at any time. And, interesting,
    it is virtual free. There is no any restrictions on it evaluation version!

The only "draw back" for SuperScheduler is: it is the first version. I would
    like to use it on my production when they publish a evolved version.
  9. Hi, Alex. I'm not familiar with SuperScheduler, so I'll have to go take a look at it to better see how we compare.
    But, to address the specific points you raised:

Kronos Enterprise Scheduler does have a GUI interface for defining Java-based tasks. From either the Web interface or the rich-client Java interface you can specify a Java class, RMI object, or EJB and be presented with a dropdown list of available methods, and be able to specify the default values for any parameters.

The product is not at all restricted to a single server. It contains a series of EJB components, which can be deployed to multiple app servers in a clustered environment. Basically, we rely on the application server to handle load balancing and failover issues, rather than implementing it ourselves as, for example, Flux does.

Tasks, however, are defined as running on a particular machine. So, for example, you might have a Job Agent running on each of five machines, and define some tasks to run on machine A, some to run on machine B, etc. In many cases this makes sense, as some tasks can't be run on other machines. For example, if I create a task to interface with some communication software to transfer files to a mainframe, and that software package only exists on machine A, it wouldn't make sense to try to run the task anywhere else. And thus, if machine A is unavailable, it makes sense to either fail the job, or perhaps sleep for a time and retry later. Admittedly, for other tasks it really doesn't matter what machine they run on, and one of the features we plan to introduce in the near future is the ability to specify multiple machines for tasks to execute on, in order to provide greater flexibility. Is this something SuperScheduler currently allows?

Finally, please accept my apologies for your co-worker not receiving a response from us. If they just filled out the eval request on Friday, then they will be hearing from us today (Friday was a holiday for us). If it was some other time in the past, then I have no immediate explanation. If you are still open to having a look at the product, though, please send me your e-mail address and I will see that you get the download instructions and license key.

Dale
  10. Dale: "Are you implying that our product is NOT popular? :)"

Of course not ... I haven't checked the market share for enterprise Java scheduling products lately ;-)

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
  11. EJB Timers will definitely bring a much-needed piece of functionality to the J2EE space, but they don't address the larger, more complex needs of enterprise job scheduling. Job scheduling can consist of much more than simply running a task at a given time, or even on a regular schedule. There are other things to consider, such as holidays, dependencies on other jobs, handling of failures, tracking execution histories, etc. Some jobs may not even be timer-based, but rather may be event-based, triggered by file change events or events in an outside system. These are the types of issues that Kronos Enterprise Scheduler addresses.

Granted, not every application requires complex scheduling functionality at the level that we provide. In many cases a simple Timer service may very well be all that is required, so I'm certainly not disputing the value of EJB Timers. But I do think that we have a lot more to offer above and beyond a Timer service.
  12. Can anyone point to some resources on job scheduling(timers but not resource allocation!) implementation issues, algorithms, etc?
    Any tips and tricks?
    Thanks..
  13. Hi,

I know is not the best one...and i know it's not a good competitor for any of the great tools refered here... but its a simple and honest work that can be used to schedule taks and its openSource. http://jcrontab.sf.net

bye