Discussions

EJB programming & troubleshooting: virgin mind opened to the EJB philosophy

1. virgin mind opened to the EJB philosophy (3 messages)

Hi,

I'm new to java and EJB programming.
    I jave good skills in C and C++ programming but I can't figure out the philosophy of EJB.

All books state that either you don't know how to align to lines of code or that you already know what you are doing with EJB.

Is it possible for you to explain me what an EJB is, why is it better than a simple 2-tiers client/server ?
    Finnaly, why is a bean so different than a class ?

This all seems confuse to me,
    thanks for your lights,
    ionel
  2. Hi Ionel,
    I think your question is a lot more than EJB philosophy.

Your first question concerns the advantage of 3-tier systems. There's already a lot of materials stating the benifits of multi-tier systems, and I can imagine people yawning if I say that all over again here :) Multi-tier concepts are proposed long long before the appearence of EJB. The [browser]-[web server]-[database] is a three-tier architecture example, even without EJB components. If you think the seperating presentation/problem domain/data model is important, choose 3-tier designs. Using a 3-tier architecture, is is possible to implement a different client presentation or change the backend information systems without changing the underneath logical operations. Surely carefully designed 2-tier systems may have the same benifits. However I believe that in achieving such seperation, some implicit layering designs must be applied, and in fact it's a multi-tier architecture. J2EE proposes a well-defined architecture for the layering: [jsp/java applications]-[servlet/EJB/other server-side components]-[database].

So it's not really about EJB philosophy. :)

And why is a bean different than a class. Maybe you are asking how a "component" differ from a class. Components are "things" that have some protocols defined on it. Protocols include how such components are located and how the services are exposed to the outter world. It's already there, and if you can find it and talk to it, it will respond. If you are asking the difference between an EJB and common java instances, you may think this way: EJBs are java instances that live in remote machines. However, you may locate the instances via EJB home interfaces and interact with them via EJB remote interfaces.

Hope this helps.

dright
  3. A commonent is an object with added values provided by the ejb cpontainer. The infrastructure services typically provided by the container are as follows.

-Transactions
    -Resource pooling
    -Thread safety
    -Security
    -Client state management
    -Persistence management
    -Life cycle management

To leverage these services the component has to abide by certain rules as laid out in the the ejb spec.

Hope it helps.

Pranab
  4. Thanks for all your answers folks