Mac OS X runs Pramati, Lutris, Trifork, JBoss and Orion

Discussions

News: Mac OS X runs Pramati, Lutris, Trifork, JBoss and Orion

1. Apple was a Gold sponsor at this years Java One show and has made a lot of progress with its Java support in the recent Mac OS X. Not traditionally thought of as a server/enterprise platform, that could soon change given that a number of J2EE app servers now officially run on Mac OS X, including Pramati, Lutris, Trifork, JBoss and Orion.

Read Apple, Sun Brew Closer Java Ties.
  2. Not traditionally thought of as a server/enterprise platform, that could soon change given that a number of J2EE app servers now officially run on Mac OS X, including Pramati, Lutris, Trifork, JBoss and Orion.

I'm not sure we're going to be seeing Mac OS X servers in the main stream any time soon. Too much $$$ for hardware and OS to be consider for production use.

I'd agree that OS X makes a great development platform. This is a great move forward for Apple. They're reaching out to a whole new demographic.

We have three Ti-Laptops in the office. Curently, only one is being used for Web Application Development. The other two are being used for more tradition things (ie: graphics and design.)

Ben
  3. Do you have any quotes on $$$ for mac hardware and os?

I'll like to see some ECPERFS run on a mac just for fun. ;)
  4. I am a big titanium fan, and have thought about getting one for work. Are there any guys out there who actively develop on OS X? What have you experienced?
  5. The guys who developed Xindice(AKA dbXML) did all of their development on Mac OS X.
  6. I develop on a 550 TI Book. Works great, IntelliJ, Perforce, Orion, it's all there. The disk is pretty lame, so it's not a performance wonder. My advice: OS/X is fine, but prefer a good desktop machine to the Ti-Book (which I love otherwise !).
  7. Yep, i'm also doing java developing on the os x. TiBook 667 mhz and 1 gb memory. JBoss as J2EE server. Intellij IDEA as java IDE. Building with ANT. Works really good. The only drawback is that our project are using MKS/SI as source repository and it is not available for the mac. Has to use it in Virtual PC with not that good performance :(

Java graphic performance are not up to what you get on windoze machines but it is ok. And it looks really great! It is fun developing on the Mac. You always find out some small thing making your work life happier. As when i first entered wrong password when logging on my Mac. What happened? A big ugly dialog box saying that you are stupid? No no, the login screen shaked from left to right saying - No, sorry but that was not correct :)

/Lennart
  8. I've found I can run WebLogic 6.1, WebGain TopLink 3.6 (and probably 4.0) on Mac OS X just fine. With WebLogic you have to install it first on a windows or unix machine and then copy it over, it won't be able to find a performance pack for fast I/O, and you can't use any of the native tools like jCOM or the WebLogic OCI drivers, but it generally works great for development.

For development, JBuilder works quite well. You could probably even port the enterprise edition over with minimal fuss.

IBM Eclipse has been reported to run with XonX / XFree86 with Mac OS X. A carbon port of the toolkit is underway.
  9. We plan to support Mac OSX with our products (Tangosol Coherence, Tangosol Desktop Environment, etc.). Customers has asked us for OSX support yet, but in our opinion, if Apple takes the initiative to get great Java support in their product, and as long as they have real market share (which they do at least on the desktop) we should support their efforts by verifying that the platform works and providing official support.

As for prices etc., see:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore

BTW - I think the G4 is rack-mountable ;-)

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
  10. http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s=1865&a=25069,00.asp
  11. its just eye candy. *expensive* eye candy
  12. It's a bummer that BEA hasn't announced any plans for a Mac OS X release. I'd really love to see BEA products, specifically, Weblogic 6.1 and 7.0, WLI 2.1 and WLP 4.0 run on the Mac OS X platform.