Discussions

News: iPlanet, Forte, others Rebranded as Sun One

1. In an effort to streamline its marketing efforts, Sun Microsystems has rebranded its product lines iPlanet, Forte, StarOffice and ChiliSoft, bringing them all under the Sun Open Net Environment (Sun ONE brand), the company announced Monday. In particular, the iPlanet AppServer will now be known as the Sun ONE AppServer.

Read Sun rebrands software portfolio.

Press Release
    -----------------------
    SANTA CLARA, CA -- April 15, 2002 -- Sun Microsystems, Inc. (Nasdaq: SUNW - news) today announced it will rebrand its popular iPlanet[tm], Forte[tm], StarOffice[tm] and Chili!Soft[tm] product lines under the Sun[tm] Open Net Environment (Sun[tm]ONE) brand. This move reflects Sun's commitment to its wide array of software offerings -- spanning from portal server and middleware to directory solutions, developer tools and productivity suites -- that make up the Sun ONE platform for Services on Demand. Branding all of the products under the Sun ONE name will result in a singular focus that simplifies Sun's software portfolio for customers and streamlines marketing efforts. The new "Open Net Environment" branding also underscores Sun's commitment to multi-platform support across the Sun ONE infrastructure products, which are available today on Solaris[tm] Operating Environment, Linux, Windows, AIX and HP-UX operating systems.

"This rebranding is the culmination of what we've been successfully doing for the last several years -- delivering best-of-breed and integrated product solutions for the enterprise," said Marge Breya, vice president, Sun ONE. "It's time for our software brand to reflect what our customers already know; there is no more complete, secure and productive platform for making the net work than Sun ONE."

Sun has launched a global marketing campaign to support the rebranding effort that will kick off this week with a series of print advertisements scheduled to appear in major business publications. The advertisements feature Sun's Global Fortune 500 customers and will highlight how they are investing in Sun technology to provide superior cross-business integration, improve cost efficiencies and enable them to build a web services infrastructure that will deliver higher Return on Assets.

Sun ONE is Sun's vision, architecture, platform, and expertise that enables the development and delivery of Services on Demand. A partial list of products being rebranded to the Sun ONE product name is as follows:

Sun ONE Web Server -- Formerly the iPlanet Web Server, which powers large-scale mission-critical Web sites, has set multiple performance records, and runs more than 50 percent of the Fortune 100 Web sites.

Sun ONE Portal Server -- Formerly the iPlanet Portal Server, which has the services enterprises and service providers needed to deploy B2E,B2C and B2B portals quickly and drives more than 350 portal deployments. Radicati Group named it the market share leader in 2002.

Sun ONE Application Server -- Formerly the iPlanet Application Server, Sun's enterprise development and deployment platform, which powers the world's largest transactional Web sites.

Sun ONE Directory Server -- Formerly the iPlanet Directory Server, the market share leader for carrier, enterprise and meta directories which has sold over 750 million licenses.

Sun ONE Identity Server -- Formerly the iPlanet Directory Server, Access Management Edition, which helps organizations manage secure access to Web-based resources through an identity system that includes access management, identity administration, and directory services.

Sun ONE Messaging Server -- Formerly the iPlanet Messaging Server, which scales to 10 million seats out-of-the-box and holds the number one market share position for service providers with more than 200 million mailboxes sold.

Sun ONE Calendar Server -- Formerly the iPlanet Calendar Server, a Web-based solution for personal and organizational calendaring and scheduling which has sold more than 92 million seats.

Sun ONE Integration Server -- Formerly iPlanet Integration Server, which enables business-to-business and enterprise application integration and has more than 500 enterprise customers worldwide.

Sun ONE Studio -- Formerly Forte Tools For Java, Sun's Integrated Development Environment (IDE) for developers wishing to deploy components and services on the Sun ONE platform.

Sun ONE Active Server Pages -- Formerly Chili!Soft ASP, consisting of ASP software that allows developers to create cross-platform Web applications using their existing ASP skill sets.

StarOffice 6.0 Office Suite -- A Sun ONE Software Offering -- Sun's productivity suite that includes word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation applications. The 6.0 version will be available in May 2002.
    About Sun ONE
    Sun[tm] Open Net Environment, the integration of Sun's award-winning portfolio of software products, is Sun's vision, architecture, platform, and expertise that enables the development and delivery of services on demand. Through its open, integrateable architecture, Sun ONE extends current enterprise systems to help reduce costs and complexity while improving organizations' return on assets. More information on Sun ONE is available on www.sun.com/sunone/.

About Sun Microsystems, Inc.
    Since its inception in 1982, a singular vision -- "The Network Is The Computer[tm]" -- has propelled Sun Microsystems, Inc. (Nasdaq: SUNW) to its position as a leading provider of industrial-strength hardware, software and services that power the Internet and allow companies worldwide to take their businesses to the nth. Sun can be found in more than 170 countries and on the World Wide Web at http://sun.com

Threaded Messages (17)

2. Has anyone used IPlanet's app server recently? Last time I looked at it, well over a year ago, it sucked.

3. It still sucks. We encountered two big problems.

First,the CMP implementation in iPlanet always records null Integer value as 0 in the database.

Second, we found that it took about 40-50 minutes to build the project. The project was composed of 19 EJBs, 14 Servlets, and 19 JSPs. The undeploy, and deploy processes took more than 50% of the build time while the ejbC process (to create stubs and skeletons) took about 30 % of the build time. The build time grew exponentially by the amount of components in the package. Even though, the manual said we do not have to do the full build if we only change the implementation in the method but not the method signatures and descriptors. But every time we build a new component and/or edit descriptor, the build time is really too long and unacceptable.

I reported iPlanet folks about these problems about half year ago. From 6.0SP3 and now 6.5, the problem still exists.
  4. You actually don't need to undeploy the app before redeploying it (I think from SP4). It takes about 7-9 mins to build and deploy our project from clean (10+ ejbs, around 5 servlets, 1,500+ classes).

The main problems we encountered with iAS were related to their transaction management - especially in local transactions.
    In a word, it didn't work. You could not rollback in ejb, connections were leaked etc..
    6.5 looks slightly better, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Regards,
    Vlad
  5. iPlanet, Forte, others Rebranded as Sun One[ Go to top ]

Transaction support for iplanet driver was discontinued from 6.5 onwards. We are using third party drivers to support transactions.

Also sometimes undeploy/deploy is needed if implementation is changed, although this behavior is inconsistent.
  6. Yup, I evaluated iPlanet app server for a customer, and what a mess! Don't bother folks. SUN should just feel ashamed of releasing such a worthless product using and implemmenting their own APIs and technologies. Changing the name will not change the fact that iPlanet app server is not a worthy contender....
  7. Sun should just give up ... their iPlanet app server is a worthless piece of crap! Call it what you want, rebranding crap is still not going to change the fact that it is crap!
  8. Yes. A stinky poop by any other name is still a stink poop.

Any IPlanet zealots wanna weigh in?

9. Steady on.

The knives seem to be out for Sun at the moment - not sure quite what they have done to deserve this. The price of being outspoken perhaps...

While the iPlanet Application Server may not be the best there is, a lot of the other products in the lineup are first class. What used to be the Netscape products (LDAP server, Web server etc) are leading products in their field. If you dont like iPlanet Appserver, by all means dont buy it. But dont forget the rest of the products.

A lot of us might be (justifiably) cycnical of such a re-branding move, however it is sadly necessary.

Most of the readers of this site will know that a large chunk of these products are standards-based, and there is no problem substituting, say, iPlanet Appserver with Weblogic for a "best-of-breed" solution.

However, there are a lot of old-school decision makers (that hold the purse-strings for many large accounts) that still think in terms of "strategic partnerships" - and they want to see a vendor that "has it all" - a one-stop-shop, from hardware to software. Why do you think companies like IBM and Rational are so popular in large corporations (despite the fact that some of the products in their respective lineups are quite ordinary)?

I havent looked at iPlanet Appserver for a while now - and I admit there is nothing that would compell me to spend much time looking at it at this point in time. However, re-branding and marketing aside, some of the other products would be in my short-list.

10. I thought Sun One was supposed to be cool. Using this as an answer to Microsoft's .NET does not bode well for the Java world. Not only is Sun a year behind Microsoft in the web services arena, this kind of stunt shows they are 2-3 years behind, especially in implementation.

As a Java developer this saddens me, but I'll just have to roll my dice on IBM and BEA and Oracle. This kind of marketing is why Java needs to be open-sourced. Sun needs to give up the ghost. Go back to making hardware. They've lost the hunger.

Somewhere Bill Gates is laughing. No wonder Sun wasn't let into the WS-I. They were gonna try to pawn off iPlanet as a real WS server.

Steve

11. <quote>
    Not only is Sun a year behind Microsoft in the web services arena, this kind of stunt shows they are 2-3 years behind, especially in implementation.
    </quote>

This kind of thinking puzzles me.

What we have in J2EE is streets ahead of .net. .Net competes more with J2SE than it does with J2EE (ASP.net being the only exception).

People seem to think that web services are the foundation of applications - they are obviously not. In my view, Sun is taking a step backwards trying to compete with .Net at the Web Services level.

12. Right on , Nick.
    Since when is MS advanced in web services? Compared to what? Not to glue I hope. Last time we tried to connect our java classes to .net, we found that it took seconds(up to20) to invoke a .net component.On the same machine. And we had to edit some files. And who cares about wizards when what they "eject" is totally incomprehensible?
    DODO
  13. I agree that J2EE is way ahead of .NET. But with such a cool name like Sun One I thought they'd have something cutting edge, involving web services, because Sun One was supposed to be Sun's answer to .NET. They announced this a long time ago, and with all this time all they've come up with is a rebranding.

J2EE is still wayyyyy ahead of .NET, I agree. On this alone we can stem the tide of .NET. I'm just unimpressed from a cutting edge technology point of view. J2EE is becoming the meat and potatoes of Java (and I *do* love those potatoes).

I'm fully aware that web services are just another piece of middleware, and I'm not too worried about .NET. I'm just unimpressed, given the amount of time they've taken to come up with a "plan" to answer .NET. Does Sun really need an answer to .NET? Not really. But they thought they did, and this is all they could come up with. That's really my beef.

<shrug>
    Steve
  14. <I agree that J2EE is way ahead of .NET. But with such a cool name like Sun One I thought they'd have something cutting edge, involving web services, because Sun One was supposed to be Sun's answer to .NET. They announced this a long time ago, and with all this time all they've come up with is a rebranding. >
    As other posters have noted, when a large company wants to change their strategy in a new direction - usually you have to rebrand before you change the entire architecture. Look at The Weblogic family and the Websphere family. For the first few months all of this is just rebranding - the new technologies will come next- in fact, that's what makes the engineers go - a corproate mandate to make things new.

As far as Sun and .Net - remember that Java does not equal Web Services by definition but is a basis for it. So - microsoft may have lots of WS components available but are they really enterprise ready? or scalable, etc.
  15. <quote> While the iPlanet Application Server may not be the best there is, a lot of the other products in the lineup are first class. </quote>

Here Here... Their LDAP directory server is second to none, and their web server is leagues ahead of IIS.

It's a bit lame dumping your brand like that though.
  16. What used to be the Netscape products (LDAP server, Web

> server etc) are leading products in their field. If you
    > dont like iPlanet Appserver, by all means dont buy it.
    > But dont forget the rest of the products.

I agree that their Web Server & LDAP server are pretty solid products. But I disagree on your statement "If you don't like iAS, by all means don't buy it". In a lot of organizations with Sun hardware, Sun throws in the iPlanet bundle (which includes their iAS). This means that people are sometimes forced to develop on this server simply because the other server applications used within the organization have the 'iPlanet' moniker.

At least this used to be true in two organizations I did some consulting work for. And finally a virtual boycott of the product by the techies led to one of the two organizations changing their choice of J2EE vendors.

Regards,
    Anand

17. >> In a lot of organizations with Sun hardware, Sun throws in
    >> the iPlanet bundle (which includes their iAS).

I make the basic assumption that the decision makers have the knowledge required to make an informed choice. "Its free" is not necessarily the best reason for choosing a product (even though it may look good in this quarter's budget).
    I agree with you though - it still does happen.
    Still, you cannot blame the vendor if your company chooses the wrong product for the wrong reasons - just because your company's decision makers are clueless...

The point is that SunOne (or *whatever* they want to call it) is based on open standards. Its not like you can swap out the ropey MTS in .NET for a different/better one...

If people dont like *all* of Sun's products - fine. Choose a better one. At least we have that liberty using J2EE's open standards.

18. This is an excellent move for sun in order to brand thier products, services under one umbrella. It is a very well known fact that large and small corporates look for unified solution and support for enterprise level software. People are always happy to go to one vendor for it not all, most of its need.

One of the many reasons why people think breaking up microsoft could hurt it (MS) is the same reason why unifying SUN Microsystems under Sun ONE brand will help SUN Microsystems. Besides SUN will probably need all its strength of unified branding to compete with open source products such as JBoss and HPAS.

People love to get the tooth brush for free when "colgate" packs the brush and the paste together. Here is another way you could get the bang for ur buck ;)