414 (Request-URI Too Long)
    i am using ibm websphere app server version 4.0

Threaded Messages (5)

2. url problem[ Go to top ]

Well... how long is your URL?
  3. url problem[ Go to top ]

Dear Daniel,
    Thanks for responding.

Since the request query varies from user to user i find it difficult to give an exact figure. But when I tried to get the content length of the url, with minimum data sent to the server, it gave a figure of 23942. (I believe its 23K).

Is there anything to be done with the configuration settings on the server. (I'm using websphere version 4.0)

Will feel greatful, for your kind help. Tx.
  4. url problem[ Go to top ]

There's a standard limit on the length of a request URL for HTTP protocol, not sure how big, but out of the top of my head 255. Whatever it is, when your URL is longer than it is polite, use POST instead of GET.
  5. url problem[ Go to top ]

Hi,

From RFC 2616 :
    3.2.1 General Syntax

The HTTP protocol does not place any a priori limit on the length of a URI. Servers MUST be able to handle the URI of any resource they serve, and SHOULD be able to handle URIs of unbounded length if they provide GET-based forms that could generate such URIs. A server SHOULD return 414 (Request-URI Too Long) status if a URI is longer than the server can handle (see section 10.4.15).

Note: Servers ought to be cautious about depending on URI lengths above 255 bytes, because some older client or proxy implementations might not properly support these lengths.

available at ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2616.txt

Hope this helps.
    Regards
    Sachin
  6. uri problem[ Go to top ]

thanx Saruman

i am using the POST method only.....the thing is its working perfectly on the server itself but while trying to use the application from the client machine and try post it its giving uri too long.....