Discussions

News: Dell Chooses BEA WebLogic as Company-Wide Standard

1. Dell has chosen BEA WebLogic Server as the company's standard Java platform for application development and deployment. Dell plans to migrate a series of strategic applications from IBM WebSphere onto BEA WebLogic, including DellServ, an internal tech support app used by more than 7,500 Dell customer service technicians.

Unfortunately, www.dell.com is still running on Windows DNA (the precursor to .NET).

Press Release
    --------------------
    SAN JOSE, Calif., May 14 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- BEA Systems, Inc. (Nasdaq: BEAS), the world's leading application infrastructure software company, today announced that Dell is installing BEA WebLogic Server™ as the company's standard Java platform for application development and deployment. BEA WebLogic Server is the foundation of the BEA WebLogic Enterprise Platform™, a unified, simplified, and extensible application infrastructure solution.

Dell plans to migrate a series of strategic applications from IBM WebSphere onto BEA WebLogic, including DellServ, an internal system that enables more than 7,500 Dell customer service technicians to more effectively expedite customer inquiries and service calls. Dell is also planning to build new Web services applications on BEA that will be designed to further advance its world-class customer service offerings and help broaden the fundamental competitive advantages of Dell's direct business model.

BEA's commitment to standards-based technology, technology leadership, enterprise-class scalability, unsurpassed price/performance, and enterprise application infrastructure savvy was fundamental in Dell's decision to migrate from IBM WebSphere to BEA WebLogic.

About BEA
    BEA Systems, Inc. is the world's leading application infrastructure software company, with nearly 12,500 customers around the world, including the majority of the Fortune Global 500. BEA and its WebLogic® brand are among the most trusted names in business. Businesses built on the award-winning BEA WebLogic Enterprise Platform™ are reliable, highly scalable, and poised to bring new services to market quickly. BEA's platform is the de facto standard for more than 2,100 systems integrators, independent software vendors (ISVs) and application service providers (ASPs) to provide complete solutions that fast-track and future-proof businesses for high growth and profitability. Headquartered in San Jose, Calif., BEA has 93 offices in 34 countries and is on the Web at www.bea.com.

NOTE: BEA, BEA Tuxedo, and WebLogic, BEA WebLogic Server, BEA WebLogic Commerce Server, BEA WebLogic Personalization Server, BEA WebLogic Process Integrator, BEA WebLogic M-Commerce Solution, BEA WebLogic Collaborate, and BEA WebLogic E-Business Platform are trademarks or registered trademarks of BEA Systems, Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of the company with which they are associated.

Threaded Messages (29)

2. I am happy as long as they don't decide to move on to .NET
  3. Is this really true !!!
    I can't believe DELL moving towards J2EE !!!
    Good..

~MV
  4. I don't know why people always hate something which they
    don't know!
  5. People don't know about Websphere ?

STOP: really, Websphere is bad, unscalable, slow, is not multithread safe, really not portable, no more tight to IDE but so slow :(

Stop waste money with Websphere !!! change for Weblogic ou JBoss.

Joel
  6. Just because you have a personal opinion doesn't mean you have to lie to people and spread false rumors. Your last comment in childish and silly.

Leave up to somebody to throw JBoss on a WLS thread. I'll consider JBoss when they stop putting childish cursing on their web-site.

Some people treat App Servers like rock bands. (Bash the big power man, go for the underground alternative bands dude).

At this present time, WebSphere is on top in the performance category in ecPerfs. Some customers are porting from WLS to WAS and others are going the other way.
  7. Saying "X is lame" is dumb.
    If you have valid technological arguments on why you feel X is superior to Y, that is a different thing. Healthy discussion is good... "you suck" is bad.
    If you do have good experience with a particular server then use the reviews section to provide input to the community.
  8. Roland,

Your comment is almost as "childish and silly" as the one your responding to. You get down on him for his comments, and then make a comment like "I'll consider JBoss when they stop putting childish cursing on their web-site."

That's a *great* criteria for choosing something. Glad you don't work with me.
  9. I'm glad I don't work for you either
  10. Quote: "Leave up to somebody to throw JBoss on a WLS thread. I'll consider JBoss when they stop putting childish cursing on their web-site."

Where? Did I miss something? Did they change their front page slogan to "JBoss. Coding the f**king future, you sorry corporate a**holes"? I don't see it.

If you are referring to the manners exhibited on forums, then by all means, I'll pass you some handiwipes. Occasional bad language exists on just about every technical forum I've ever seen. If I used that criteria, I would probably not be a member of this forum either. Sure, 99% of postings are fair and free of bad etiquette, but not all of them. The same is true of the JBoss forums. Don't stereotype JBoss based on a few rude comments.
  11. I am happy as long as they don't decide to move on to .NET

Why not .NET? Where is the prob?
  12. I don't understand why people bash WAS/Weblogic with so much gusto..... IBM/BEA who cares??????

If youre gonna bash something ....bash the architects/developers/administrators who can't be bothered to read doco, can't cut code and can't administer the product the way it was intended to be used and given it's limitations.

It's like driving car .......you will always reach your destination if your drive safely and within the limits of your vehicle, but you may not get there in time. Cutting through traffic and speeding may appeal but it increases the risk and only gets you there a couple of minutes faster. Try learning the road, understand the traffic and the vehicle and you will always get there faster and safer.

If you have the right balances of informed and capable people then it doesn't matter what the product, the end result will always be something worthwhile and something you can be proud of.

A bad tradesman blames his tools.

13. Man, you guys with the app server bashing. It is like a Star Trek convention in here. Get some sun, have some fun!

If you know what you are doing, you can choose from MANY good app servers and get great results. It doesn't matter whether it is IBM, BEA, JBoss, etc... We are currently using WAS 3.5 and 4 and it is rock solid, but I wouldn't have a problem with using something else. You just need to learn the characteristics of the software you are dealing with.

I worked on some of the Dell site and we had good results with Windows DNA. Now go ahead and yell at me about Kirk being better than Picard.
  14. Because I am a J2EE architect and therefore want to keep demand for my skills high :-)
  15. Certainly that's not music to IBM's ears!
  16. The LAST thing I am going to do is flame IBM, but, in my recent experiences (last 11 months on a J2EE contract w/ Websphere on an AS400) I have to tell Dell good move!

I am happy IBM continues to support the Java market and will always praise them for that, but, in personal experiences I've had less trouble with Weblogic (ver 4.x, 5, 6) then Websphere (3.5 / 4)

Just my $0.02/cdn

17. You have said too much or not enough... what problems did you encounter ?
  18. embarassing....it really is, when people say that a Appserver is a standard.....I'd be happy if the quote would have been "Dell Chooses BEA WebLogic as Company-Wide application development platform".......
  19. John -

<i>The LAST thing I am going to do is flame IBM, but, in my recent experiences (last 11 months on a J2EE contract w/ Websphere on an AS400) I have to tell Dell good move!
    I am happy IBM continues to support the Java market and will always praise them for that, but, in personal experiences I've had less trouble with Weblogic (ver 4.x, 5, 6) then Websphere (3.5 / 4)</i>

Ditto. Websphere has come a long way, but despite ecperf results and market share statistics, I would suggest:

- It is not yet as stable as WL 6.x, and this issue is probably my biggest gripe. WL 7.0 is not yet at all stable either.
    - WS is missing J2EE technology that WL already has OOTB (most of which purportedly will be filled in 5.0 or can be purchased separately, like MQS). WL has always had a lead here, and that's why it has huge developer share.
    - WS is not as easy to use as WL, but with the enterprise console and IBM dev tools, it's 1000% improved over earlier versions. If they keep improving at this rate, it will be a good thing ;-). WL needs to improve here too. I'd guess that WS will pass WL soon in usability and managability, but no one is sitting still. They could both take lessons from JBoss 3.0 and even Caucho Resin on this one.
    - I'm still finding that WL scales and performs much better, but I've got 10x the time with high-scale WL systems so maybe if I knew WS better I'd have a different experience.
    - The market share numbers for IBM are completely bogus. Period. They are pushing WS so hard that it's ending up as a negative cost to customers and sitting on the shelf. It's brilliant marketing though, since now developers have to support WS because "it has so much market share". So perception is defining reality.

The summary? WS has definitely increased its real market share (maybe to 10% or 15%), and its perceived market share has absolutely exploded (34%). The product quality has increased ten fold, but IMHO it is still not acceptable for complex J2EE apps, but servlets/JSPs/JDBC are fine. Should be an interesting year.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
  20. Tit for tat... after IBM won the eBay account.
  21. Is EBay anywhere near the size of Dell? I would have thought Dell is a much larger and important account to win for BEA than EBay for IBM.

BEA/Weblogic is struggling to get away from just being thought of as the dot com app server and break into larger/older companies where traditionally IBM rules.

I am personally just glad they did not choose .NET ;-)
  22. Dell got a good taste of weblogic from the Ariba Software they use internally. I was on the Dell account and helped implement one of the ariba systems. Ariba moved many of their apps to weblogic. I work with Websphere now and I've got to say that I really don't know which one is better- they are so comparable- its hard to pick because there are soooo many factors. To tell you the truth- I've enjoyed working with both of them.
  23. I would like to hear the real story. I can't imagine a company with a significant investment in WebSphere or WebLogic, switching to the other without some serious financial incentive (i.e. no license fees).

I would say, probably something like the following:

"Dude, you're getting a BRIBE". :)
  24. Another thought to consider what angle dell is trying to play. Dell sells prepackaged solutions of servers- maybe they are looking at getting into selling Dell Servers with Weblogic installed. I'll tell you that they have had these types of initiatives in the past. Since IBM has its own hardware lines- it makes sense that Dell not go with websphere.
  25. some of u appserver guru's should checkout HPAS 8.1 from HP.
    Though it has been in the market for less than a year, hence a few wrinkles being fixed, their core services based architecture will give WLS & others a run for their money...
    Seriously, check it out...
  26. We've tried HPAS 8.1. We thought there seemed to be a lot of areas where it wasn't really compliant. Had to reconfigure to many things (These apps ran fine without any changes on numerous other ap-servers).

-Newt
  27. Martin, your allusion reminded me of some old news. I looked it up. Since about a year now, Dell is supposedly bundling WLS on some of its server offering.
    That might just be payback, on Dell side...

http://www.bea.com/press/releases/2001/0523_Dell_alliance.shtml
  28. I agree with you that there may be other strategic reasons why they turned away from IBM. Really, BEA is the only major independent commerical app server (no diss to JBoss!)left on the market. Dell clearly would want to get away from IBM as well as HP/Compaq - so it makes sense that they would switch from IBM to a vendor-neutral platform and make an announcement about it.

I'm amazed that no one has acquired BEA at this point - clearly it's going to be tough for BEA to compete in the marketplace on an ongoing basis with the major players in the space, the tech downturn and price pressure on the app server market in general. I'm not saying they don't make a good product or that they don't have major customers - they do. It's just their core product is constantly under attack from both the market and the economy - and revenue growth is key to keeping the market cap up.

It will be interesting to see if they get picked up.

Damian

29. I believe that BEA will eventually get gobbled up, or merge with someone. Maybe not now. Maybe not next year. But eventually. I just don't think that they can compete over the long haul with the massive firepower of IBM, regardless of how much better the products are, or how much ahead of the curve they are.

Then again, I also don't see how RealNetworks manages to stick around in the face of Microsoft either. But they do.
  30. Ok here is scoop guys both Websphere & Weblogic are great app server, both met Dells business requirement. To me WAS or WLS doesnt matter both appservers are great. WAS 4.03 has an edge over Weblogic 7.0 but that is my point of view dont flame me. Business reasom may have made Dell switch.