Discussions

News: Review of new features in Weblogic 7, Coldfusion MX

1. This article in E-Week contending that App Servers have matured describes some of the new features in Weblogic 7.0 and ColdFusion.

Read the full article here:
    http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s=708&a=26922,00.asp.

Key new features in Weblogic include:

+ A stand alone GUI for editing deployment descriptors
    + Bundled EJBGen for automatically creating home and remote interfaces from JavaDoc tags.
    + An embedded LDAP server for user management
    + Security is based on the new Java SSPI (Security Service Provider Interface)
    + A GUI policy editor to simply security management
    + An integrated UDDI 2.0 server

Threaded Messages (5)

2. embedded LDAP server[ Go to top ]

Is BEA's "embedded LDAP server" licensed from Sun? Is this part of the latest JNDI implementation? I hadn't heard about a BEA LDAP implementation previously.
  3. embedded LDAP server[ Go to top ]

OctetString's from what I can tell... see:

http://www.octetstring.com/pdf/BEA%20Release%2002.25.02.pdf
  4. embedded LDAP server[ Go to top ]

I should add - OctetString seems to have sprung out of a previous attempt at a Java opensource LDAP implementation:

see:
    http://javaldap.sourceforge.net/
  5. In case anyone skips reading the article (or skips the part on CFMX), it seems useful to point out the changes in CFMX just as the changes in WLS were shown above after the link to the article:

Key new features in ColdFusion MX include:
    - written entirely upon a J2EE foundation
    - CFML templates now compiled into Java bytecode
    - very low price point compared to other commercial app servers (starting at 799)
    - able to share request, session, and application vars with JSPs and servlets
    - enterprise version allows execution of JSPs and servlets within CFMX directory space (includes embedded instance of JRun 4, which is J2EE 1.3 compliant)
    - able to execute JSP custom tags from within CFML templates
    - new component object model, including inheritance (not truly OO, but close enough to add improved encapsulation)
    - other new features include easy XML and web service consumption and publication, internationalization, improved charting, native flash connectivity, improved debugging, and lots more

I'm sure there are readers who will feel compelled to jump in and knock CF. I hope rather than rely on old defenses and previous experiences, you'll first give this dramatically new version of CF a fair shake. There's a free developer edition, so it's easy to try.

Yes, compared to a free app server it may seem "expensive", but sometimes there's value in what you pay for. In this case, that's really true for many, many people. It may not be for you, but please allow others to decide for themselves before knocking it based on any previous experience you may have.

Let me also say that now that CFMX is so totally based on the J2EE platform, the opportunity is ripe for those with more substantial software engineering and system architecture experience to offer their knowledge to this community of developers.

Like beginning JSP developers, it's easy for them to create bad designs. It's not the language, but their skill. There are plenty of existing performant highly public CF sites. It's not the tool but how people use it. Only now, they can benefit from the substantial experience of the J2EE community to lead them in better practice of application of the tool.

And who knows, maybe some J2EE developers may decide that CFMX templates make a better alternative to JSP pages for the view component of their MVC designs. It's a novel idea that's only now possible.

Sorry to turn this into more than just a "highlights of CFMX". I just know that there lurk out there many who want to trash anything that's not open source or pure java. Some of that argument holds merit and I don't mean to open that can of worms. I'm just trying to ask that people give more consideration to CFMX now with it's radically redesigned architecture.

/charlie
  6. More on Coldfusion MX[ Go to top ]

I think Charlie's point here should not be missed by readers of this forum: you _will_ be seeing and hearing more about CFMX in your shops in the future. Why? Because the Cold Fusion Markup Language (CFML) is a better JSP than JSP is. It offers a richer, more approachable set of tags than is available with JSP. The language was developed with web designers, not software engineers, in mind. So, there are a lot of people out there who know Cold Fusion.

If you're concerned about performance, the CFMX release addresses many of these issues with the Cold Fusion platform, such as scalability and failover. CFMX itself is based on a pluggable JINI architecture, which makes it highly configurable to suit any particular deployment.

As a long-time developer of both Cold Fusion and server-side Java applications, I can say that developing applications in Cold Fusion is far easier than in JSP. So, expect to see more Cold Fusion developers at your door in the future.

John