Oracle 3X faster than IBM or Microsoft: $1,000,000 guarantee

Discussions

News: Oracle 3X faster than IBM or Microsoft: $1,000,000 guarantee

1. Oracle Corp. issued a $1,000,000 (US) guarantee that companies presently using Microsoft SQL Server or IBM DB2 to power their production Web sites will be able to run their sites three times faster by converting to the Oracle9i Application Server and Oracle8i database.

Defeat Oracle, Win $1,000,000.
  2. This is very interesting. The fine print for the $1M guarantee is also interesting :)
  3. very interesting indeed. You have to buy maybe $2million in software (Oracle is that expensive), and they themselves will be the ones to determine if they have failed (and if you are eligible in the first place (after purchase or before??)).
    When they fail, they have a chance to try and get it to run faster. If they (again, according to themselves) succeed in that, you pay them again.

Over all, Oracle can just tell you they meet their goals (of course after first selling you the support team), get millions and never pay anyone...
  4. People have been using Oracle8i database all along (at least those enterprise customers who can afford it or really need it), and it does perform wonderfully. Similarly, there is no reason to doubt about its next version, Oracle9i, when it comes to performance. It is their application server that people generally have close to zero interest in now. As a matter of fact the Giga Group analysts' reserach note (read at ftp://www6.software.ibm.com/software/developer/library/giga0600.pdf) on J2EE-based app server market did not even consider Oracle as one of the major players in this market (a paltry projected 2000 market share of 3% vs. WebLogic and WebSphere's 24% each!) I see Ellison's challenge to offer $1,000,000 to switch to iAS 9i/Oracle8i as a desperate attempt to grab some market share back. Maybe the newly unveiled Oracle8i Cache will do the trick, but that remains to be seen. If this magic bullet fails, you can count iAS out as a viable choice for app server for good. On the other hand, they have packaged all the app server's features in the Oracle8i Release 3 databse software so maybe they don't care about making money selling an app server as a separate product anymore.
  5. <snap>
    trick, but that remains to be seen. If this magic bullet fails, you can count iAS out as a viable choice for app server for good. On the other hand, they have packaged all the
    </snap>
    you probably mean oAS? iAS is generally meant to be either Inprise or iPlanet.
  6. The Oracle9iAS name is confusing. Everyone seems to like to have an i in their product names, and Oracle is the latest to get into the mix. We currently have 3 iAS's in the market: Inprise Application Server, iPlanet Application Server, and Oracle interNet Application Server. To me Oracle9iAS is a repackaging of exisiting products, such as Oracle Application Server 4.0.8.2 (OAS as you mentioned), Oracle Developer and Reports Servers, WebDB (now called Oracle Portal), licensed products like Apache Web Server and various modules, and the much hyped Oracle9iAS Cache. Only the last component is new stuff. In general Oracle is at least 6 and 9 months behind its competitors in offering a J2EE 1.2 compliant application server. I doubt their new offering will create much renewed interest. It seems the only way to sell the OracleiAS product is to include all the functinality in the database software and sell it as the complete solution package.
  7. This is indeed interesting but overall, what is going to be the cost of Oracle 8i and 9i? We will have to look carefully if the money spent is worth speed gained. Also, does Oracle provide some evaluation copy of 9i app server so that we can decide if we have to accept this over the competitors.