Discussions

News: JAX-RPC, Java Web Services Developer Pack 1.0 Final Released

1. The 1.0 final version of the Java API for XML-based Remote Procedure Call (JAX-RPC) specification and binaries became available today, as well as the the Java Web Services Developer Pack 1.0, an integrated toolset that allows Java developers to build, test and deploy XML, Web services, and Web applications.

JAX-RPC is now available at:
       http://java.sun.com/xml/downloads/jaxrpc.html
       http://java.sun.com/xml/jaxrpc/.

The 1.0 final release of the Java Web Services Developer Pack is available at:
       http://java.sun.com/webservices/downloads/webservicespack.html.
  2. Check out the "JAX-RPC Upgrade" for WebLogic Server 7.0 at;

http://commerce.bea.com/downloads/weblogic_server.jsp

Eric
    BEA Systems

3. Is a JAX-RPC v1.0 implementation already available for weblogic? (Unless the site is slow in updating) its still showing the v0.8 implementation.

Cheers,
    Nick
  4. The next maintenance release of WebLogic Server 7.0 (WLS 7.0.0.1) will update the JAX-RPC implementation to be fully compliant with JAX-RPC 1.0. WLS 7.0.0.1 is scheduled to be released at the end of this month.
  5. What happened to JAXB?[ Go to top ]

It looks like Sun dropped JAXB from the JAX Pack. Does anyone know what happened to JAXB?
  6. What happened to JAXB?[ Go to top ]

JAXB only handles DTDs (and not schemas). I do not want to start a polemic, but I believe that JAXB will have to be re-writen from scratch to handle schemas.
    A big part of the other JAX technologies are using schemas (JAX-RPC through the WSDLs, JAXP, ...) so it feels like JAXB is not in sync with the other technology. It would be nice to see a Schema driven JAXB used in JAX-RPC. I would appreciate comments from the SUN team involved in JAXB.
    Now going back to the JAX-RPC, I think that section 4 (WSDL/XML to Java Mapping) should talk about validation. This is one of the biggest advantage of Schemas compared to DTDs, and JAX-RPC does not deal with it. It would be nice to have the marshalling and validation framework part of the generated java objects, right now, you need to implement the validation yourself in the generated skeletons. This validation could take place in the client stubs, avoiding unecessary roundtrips and having to hardcode the same validation rules than the one expressed in the schemas referenced in the WSDL.
    In a 3 tier architecture I am trying to use as much as possible the XML schema language to constraint my business objects, moving the validation part out of the code and relying on the schema validation features of the underlying framework (Castor being the one I am using).
    If you are interested by the concept, you can check the pattern I have published at TheServerSide a year ago or look at the SUN site for the architecture used at Berkeley's lab (http://java.sun.com/features/2002/05/berkeley.html) which follows the same concepts but with EJBs.
  7. What happened to JAXB?[ Go to top ]

JAXB will support Schema validation in the final version, due in Q4 2002. But it correct that JAXB (0.21 draft) currently only supports DTD's. Just check out Sun products page: http://java.sun.com/xml/jaxb/index.html

Cheers
    Aksel Hilde
  8. What happened to JAXB?[ Go to top ]

JavaTM XML Pack (Summer 02 Release)(http://java.sun.com/xml/downloads/javaxmlpack.html)

<quote>
    A future release will include Java Architecture for XML Binding (JAXB).
    </quote>

I think you confuse JavaTM XML Pack with JavaTM Web Services Developer Pack.

Regards.
  9. Is this worth looking at?[ Go to top ]

I downloaded this and was going to install it and try it out but first:
    - I noticed that it was a 30+ meg installation file.
    - During installation it talked about setting up a username and password for Tomcat.

It was at that point that I aborted the install. I asked myself if I really needed to install something so obviously bloated and was tied into Tomcat when I already had an excellent webservices solution (GLUE) that was trivially easy to use and the entire package for which was a little over 6M, (including documentation and examples).

Now I havn't looked at Sun's package, but if it uses compile time stubs (why do people still use stubs when they are using Java, I mean come on, get with the zeroes), or if I have to write my own WSDL, or if I have to run under a slow bloated app server like Tomcat, then I don't think I would be interested.

So did Sun do this right and there is some valid excuse for it being so large (like a wonderful set of GUI administration tools or something), or is this another "We couldn't have made it more complicated or inconvient to use if we tried" product like their wonderful EJB specification ;-)

Anick
  10. Is this worth looking at?[ Go to top ]

>>Now I havn't looked at Sun's package, but if it uses
    >>compile time stubs .....
    >>..or if I have to write my own WSDL...

You might want to have a closer look. It can generate stubs if you want. It can also generate WSDL if you want.

Sadly, it cant do anything about how long it takes you to download Tomcat.

11. what odes JAX-RPC buy me that I can't get with the Apache Soap F/W?

12. The replacement to Apache SOAP, Axis, is also a JAX-RPC implementation (though its a little behind - 0.7 last time I looked). Take your pick: Sun's, Jakarta's, BEA's .....

13. Beside the fact that Axis is based on the JAX-RPC spec (with some latency in the release), it performs way faster than Apache SOAP. Architecture-wise it allows you to plug handlers which act like filters so you can do pre/post processing on the web service calls. These handlers are also defined in the JAX-RPC spec. Axis does not use DOM for message processing but SAX, which speeds up things. I have seen improvement by at least a factor of 5 compared to Apache SOAP.
    Systinet claims that their server is at least 5-10 times faster than Axis, which sounds great. Having a standard interface for web services, we will see this added in ECPerf when J2EE 1.4 will be out. That might help on the decision process of buying a JAX-RPC compliant server.
    Now I am wondering what WebLogic 7 is using ? I know that WL 6.1 is using Apache SOAP (therefore very slow).
  14. In fact, WebLogic Server 6.1 did NOT use Apache SOAP. The WLS 6.1 web services container was developed by BEA.

In WLS 7.0, the Web Services container has improved significantly with 20-29% performance improvement over WLS 6.1 and enhancements such as:

- JAX-RPC support including support for SOAP handlers (WLS 7.0.0.1, due out at the end of the month will be fully compliant with JAX-RPC 1.0)
    - Support for complex and user defined data-types.

- Utilities for easily exposing objects (EJBs, JMS destinations, plain Java Objects) as web services

- Built-in harness for testing web services deployed on WLS

- Stream-based parsing API. This enables performant, procedural handling of XML documents rather than requiring you to write SAX event handlers. BEA is leading JSR-173 to make this technology an open standard.

- UDDI server impl for hosting private registries.

Jim
    BEA Systems