Performance of Struts

Discussions

Performance and scalability: Performance of Struts

1. Performance of Struts (5 messages)

Hi all,

Dou you think the performance of Struts is good? and the scalability? How many people use it in production environmnts?
       I´d appreciate your comments.

Thank you

Threaded Messages (5)

2. Performance of Struts[ Go to top ]

Struts, like almost anything, will perform very well when well designed. Make sure you take the time to learn it well (read the struts book that Chuck Cavanasse(sorry if I spelled that wrong) is writing). But I/we use it production and like it quite a bit.

-Newt
  3. Performance of Struts[ Go to top ]

I agree completely with Jason. The Struts framework is no slower or faster than any other analogous web-tier framework. Some people have reported performance problems with the tag libraries, when you start to have around 40-50 per page. This is mostly a container implementation issue (or maybe a design one), than a JSP custom tag one. However, as far as the framework itself, I know of no huge issues with performance.

I've done quite a bit of performance testing with Struts at my last position and Struts was never part of the problem or a bottleneck. The problems were always further back in the application server layer, which I would believe is most often the case.

Chuck
  4. Performance of Struts[ Go to top ]

as a PS to this.

One thing you should do if you've got big pages with lots of tags is to use Tag caching. A lot of servers support that feature, and it speeds things up nicely.

On further note, if you turn on caching, make sure that any of your own tags a developed for reuse!

-Newt
  5. Performance of Struts[ Go to top ]

There is a nice server independend caching tag library called OSCache. Check out OpenSymphony's Site.
    The API can significantly inrease the performance of your JSP Applikation.

</Mirko>
  6. Struts[ Go to top ]

I've developed mid-size production deployed j2ee application about year ago, the entire presentation tier was built using struts/jsp, i found it very easy learn and use, i used the tool Camino to learn and develop the struts application. Performance and Scalability they are hard to measure in the presentation tier? the methods Struts wraps like iteration through a collection,etc.. are pretty easy, its just a framework that follows MVC, which really helps in applying(forcing it!) good design to your system.

This often overlooked tool was great.
    Camino
    http://www.scioworks.com/scioworks_camino_features_pro.html

Nitro Struts IDE is what i currently use.

Jeryl Cook
    ^ Pharaoh ^
    http://pharaohofkush.blogspot.com/