Discussions

News: Java Pet Store 1.3.1 with Web Services Integration Released

1. A new version (1.3.1) of the Java Pet Store demo application is now available from Sun, which shows how to integrate Web Services with J2EE. Other cool features include an implementation of work flow to process purchase orders, a web tier caching tag, an XML schema transformation between two trading partners, and more.

Get the Java Pet Store demo application 1.3.1.

2. does the j2ee reference Implementation Kit1.3.1 has the support for webservices???
  3. All,

Hopefully, everyone will view this for what it
    is: a technology demonstration. Not run it
    and construe it to be a benchmark.

The forces that be will "construe" as they see
    fit and in a manner that best suits them...

Cheers,

Noel.

4. Maybe this is not the issue to raise in this thread, but it is related to J2EE and Web Services. I had a look recently at this JDC article called "Deploying Web Services on the J2EE(tm) Platform": here

I thought it's going to be a nice overall presentation about the strategies and best-practices architecture for implementing web-services in J2EE. Instead, it was a scary cook-book of almost 30 pages (ok, with page-down) of step-by-step instructions of how to make the different libraries for web services run in the reference implementation.

It is a start, but I am afraid it's not good enough if you look at the competition. A relatively simple thing is made over-complicated. In the Java world there are much better solutions that are already running. Why not get some inspiration from there rather than patching everything up like that? It's supposed to be a "reference". Making it over-complex when all the others offer simplicity does not help the community.
  5. Making relatively simple issues over-complex seems to a tendency within the Sun Blueprints team and also the Web Services team...

I love the stunning simplicity of Caucho's Hessian (http://www.caucho.com/hessian/) and Burlap (http://www.caucho.com/burlap/) toolkits, for example. They are just emerging as alternatives to SOAP/WSDL/UDDI-based Web Services and are constantly improved. They are simple to setup and use, app-server-independent, available in source code - and free. BTW, Resin's 2.1.3 release will feature a bug-fix update of both, and Resin 3.0.0 some refactorings. Besides, separate Hessian and Burlap distributions are provided.

Unfortunately, Caucho doesn't have the marketing power to promote Hessian and Burlap as much as they deserve. Look at Sun and IBM and their PR power... SOAP as the newly found "one size fits all" solution for everything. I hope that the Web Services hype doesn't lead to marketing wars that tend to knock out less promoted alternatives!

Hessian as the binary protocol of the two siblings is probably not so much an alternative to SOAP but to RMI. You can easily build distributed Java applications that communicate via HTTP-based RPC while using as little bandwidth as possible. And it's so damn easy to use... Even communication via SSL is easily accomplished.

I have also heard and read about GLUE's simplicity, too. So there are simple Web Services toolkits available now, there is no need for complex APIs, complex installation, complex configuration. But fortunately, everyone has the choice which toolkit he/she wants to use.

Regards,
    Juergen
  6. Those were exactly the frameworks I was thinking about as well. After starting with Hessian / Burlap and seeing how simple they were (and there is no reason to make these things more complex, really) I went to that URL from the JDC and I was quite shocked by the difference. Shortly: the way it's been done there is not good enough. They have to try harder.
  7. I did noticed this when I checked the Petstore1.3.1 source code .To work on how to and forget about the complexity is going make the j2ee technology very hard to master.Petstore1.3.01 was pretty complex .In Petstore1.3.1
    JSTL were introduced (which is good). I think Sun is trying to prove the applicability of webservices in J2ee rather than attempting to find practical solutions.Soon we will see another webservice pack!
    Faisal
  8. Setting up the j2ee 1.3 reference environment for use of wsdk is indeed a long task and hopefully Sun will create a preconfigured bundle, although web services is not part of the J2EE 1.3 spec so that is unlikely. The J2EE 1.4 RI will however have everything ready to go out of the box since WS are included in the spec.

Don't confuse the difficulty of setting up the environment or using the command line tools to deploy the web services in the RI with the actual JAXM/JAXRPC specs. At heart they are almost indentical to RMI programming in the respect that there is a remote interface and and implementation. The reference environment is not meant to be a production environment and the new appservers from bea, sun, and ibm will have easy deploy tools for web services as value add. When using the reference environment, remember you get what you pay for :)