Struts Chapters on EJB and Logging Posted for Public Review

Discussions

News: Struts Chapters on EJB and Logging Posted for Public Review

1. Struts Chapters 13 and 18 have been posted for public review on TheServerSide. Chapter 13 focuses on interfacing to an application tier model built using Enterprise JavaBeans. Chapter 18 examines how the use of logging can help identify defects and problems with your Struts application.

Download and review Struts Chapters 13 and 18

The posting of these last two chapters marks the last new chapters that will be added for the Struts book. The author will be accepting review comments until July 31st.

Threaded Messages (21)

2. The book review page says all chapters have been posted and the review period will end on 7/31, but I have never seen Chapter 8. Will it ever be posted?
  3. Very good question. It probably won't make it. The reason is that I've rewritten this chapter twice now because I haven't like the earlier versions of it. I keep stressing over this one because I'm not sure how to approach it.

Obviously I don't want to just regurgitate what's already included in the user guides for the tags, but at the same time, there's no way for me to cover all of the idosyncrasies of the tags. That chapter would be 50 pages.

This is why it hasn't been published. Yet again, I'm rewriting major portions of it. I have to have everything done by July 31st to send to O'Reilly. I will be cutting it close with this one.

I'm sorry to everyone looking for this one, but this is great insight to the writing process (which sometimes just sucks!).

Chuck
  4. Does this mean the complete Storefront sample web app will not be available until the book is published in September?
  5. I actually snuck in out there already with Chapter 17. Just keep in mind that it's draft, just like the chapters. I will definitely be making changes to it, as well as updating the comments within it.

Chuck
  6. Could you provide a README to illlustrate how to deploy the storefront case study examples. I have not found the the database schema for the example.

Thanks for the great work, by the way.
  7. The schema is one thing that I'm changing right now. I've set up the Storefront application to utilize a "debug" implementation that just returns some data from a hard-coded object. This way, you don't need a database to see the Storefront work.

For now, you can infer the schema from the "repository_user.xml" file, which is located in the WEB-INF/classes directory.

Chuck
  8. I tried to deploy the case study from chapter 20 in Tomcat 4.02. I have no problem to build the war file. However, when I delpoyed it in tomcat, I got an error as following. I have not been able to look deep into the code yet.

=================
    javax.servlet.ServletException: Cannot find message resources under key org.apache.struts.action.MESSAGE
    at org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.handlePageException(PageContextImpl.java:463)
    at org.apache.jsp.index$jsp._jspService(index$jsp.java:1734)
    at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:107)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853)
  9. Let me know what you find. I just retested it on 4.0.4 and also on 4.1.3 and it worked. I do think there was a wrong copy of the StorefrontMessageResources.properties file in the build, but that shouldn't have given you the error that you received. The log files should have more information.

Email me at strutsbook_feedback at yahoo dot com and I'll help you get it going.

Chuck
  10. How about the chapters on Security and Workflow? I was quite looking forward to those.... :-(
  11. They got pushed to the next edition for two reasons. First, my initial TOC was much too ambitious for a single book. O'Reilly books tend to be more compact and this one is already very large.

The second reason is that honestly, I'm just slow and I ran out of time. For example, I'm on the third rewite of chapter 8. I've simply taken too long.

I thought about removing some of the early chapters, but realized that would not be fair for the developers new to the framework. So, O'Reilly and I will discuss putting this material in a 2nd edition, maybe a "Struts Advanced" or something like that. If that doesn't happen, then I'll write them anyway and just post them for free.

Chuck
  12. So is the 2nd edition scheduled? or volume 2?

13. Not officially. We had talks about the project, but nothing is set yet.

Chuck
  14. Hi Chuck,

I didn't see your e-mail address where I could send you this directly. I was reading chapter 3 and noticed a typo.

Search for "You can do with by making use of the appropriate design patterns to encapsulate the behavior"

s/with/this/
  15. Got it! Thanks. You can still send feedback to strutsbook_feedback@yahoo until July 31st. That's the date that everything has to be submitted to the publisher and I'm no longer able to make changes.

Chuck
  16. Where's chapter 15 gone ?[ Go to top ]

Hi

I can't seem to find chapter 15 for download anymore, although it was up a few days ago.. unfortunately I didn't save it on my HD.. will it be fixed again ?

Thanks for your great work, looking forward to the finished book

Jan
  17. Hi

I just saw that simply the chapternumber on the review-page is wrong.. it states 15 where it should be 18.. should have taken a look through my .doc-files here before posting ;-)

Cheers

Jan
  18. Hi Chuck,
      Could you explain a little more about how Web Server, Web Container and EJB container run in a process. Does all this run in single JVM or only Web Container and EJB container which is part of a J2EE server run in single JVM and Web Server can run in any process. I beleive in Sun Reference Implementation all of this run in single JVM. If I want Web Server in one machine, Web container (with out EJB Container) in another and EJB(With out Web Container) in third is it possible with any J2EE server?
      In the book Web server and Web container is used interchangably, which may not be confusing if the reader is clear about how these interact. Since the book does go basic, you would expect these stuff also to be included.

regarding Chap 4 Configuring, you explain how exactly the URL is translated to a servlet. but could you explain how the "Servlet Context" is got. It says "Since a servlet is associated with a specific web application, all request that begins with a specific request path, otherwise known as the context path are routed to the web application and get associated with its ServletContext intance". But you dont say where is it getting the "cotext path" from. Where do we specify this. It also do not say how does a web server forward a request to the correct web container.

Could you / gurus please clear these here.

There were a few typos which I'll mail to the email address mention.

thanks
    Rajeev
  19. the earlier message heading is changed thats all.
    Hi Chuck,
      Could you explain a little more about how Web Server, Web Container and EJB container run in a process. Does all this run in single JVM or only Web Container and EJB container which is part of a J2EE server run in single JVM and Web Server can run in any process. I beleive in Sun Reference Implementation all of this run in single JVM. If I want Web Server in one machine, Web container (with out EJB Container) in another and EJB(With out Web Container) in third is it possible with any J2EE server?
      In the book Web server and Web container is used interchangably, which may not be confusing if the reader is clear about how these interact. Since the book does go basic, you would expect these stuff also to be included.

regarding Chap 4 Configuring, you explain how exactly the URL is translated to a servlet. but could you explain how the "Servlet Context" is got. It says "Since a servlet is associated with a specific web application, all request that begins with a specific request path, otherwise known as the context path are routed to the web application and get associated with its ServletContext intance". But you dont say where is it getting the "cotext path" from. Where do we specify this. It also do not say how does a web server forward a request to the correct web container.

Could you / gurus please clear these here.

There were a few typos which I'll mail to the email address mention.

thanks
    Rajeev
  20. There are two anomalies in downloaded files:

struts-chapter16-july22.zip
    the path says chapter 19 in the file
    the figures are numbered as if they were chapter 19
    the document does indeed say chapter 16 and the images appear to be chapter 16 images.

struts-chapter14-july22.zip
    the files say chapter 15, but the doc is actually chapter 14.

Yes, I realize this isn't exactly content, but I wanted you to be aware...

Mark McDowell
  21. Mark,

Sorry for the delay in responding. Thanks for mentioning it. Since a few chapters got cut from the book, I've been reorganizing the chapters around. Obviously, I posted them before moving everything to its proper place.

It definitely will be fixed before publishing.

Thanks again for bringing it up.
    Chuck
  22. i want ejb demo code