Discussions

EJB programming & troubleshooting: Porting app from weblogic to JBoss

1. Porting app from weblogic to JBoss (3 messages)

What are the general procedure/framework/methodology to port an application from Weblogic to jboss appserver.
    any special things we have to take care off.
    What is the advantage and disadvantage ?
    If somethin goes wrong during production? what kind of support do we get ?

thanks
    omganesh
  2. The biggest thing is to change from the weblogic-ejb-jar.xml files to jboss.xml files. If your code is "agnostic" (you didn't use any WLS-specific stuff), you should have no problem.

Regards to support, check the JBoss website. I think they should know about that. ;D
  3. I've found the best way to migrate from one app server to another is to get you weblogic app running and deploying using XDoclet (if it does not already).

Once it is performing as usual on the orginal platform, add the extra doc tags for the JBoss deployment and simply change your build file. If you have automated tests it should be relatively easy to see if most things are behaving the same way.

Good luck. I've done conversions to/from weblogic/jboss and from websphere to jboss in this same way with good success.
  4. It is enough that u have to remove the weblogic-ejb-jar.xml and add jboss.xml in case of bmp. If it is a cmp then u have to remove both weblogic-ejb-jar.xml and weblogic-cmp-rdbms.xml and replace with jboss.xml and jaws.xml respectively. Even u have to change the JNDI naming conventions. It has to begin with java:/comp/env/ejb/<urejbhome>