Discussions

General J2EE: Releasing multiple versions of a j2ee app

1. Releasing multiple versions of a j2ee app (3 messages)

I have multiple departments in my organization. I want to release different versions of the same application based upon the department a user is associated with. For example, I might have app version 1.0 available for our call center and app version 1.1 available for agents. Aside from totally separate deployments (and different urls), is there any other methods of releasing different versions of j2ee applications?
  2. Hi,

I'm not quite sure your reason behind this, If version 1.1 is ready then why not release it to everyone.

Owen
  3. Good question. If 1.1 is available and has features that department a has been trained on but not department b, then there we'd want 1.0 and 1.1 deployed simultaneously.
  4. Ok that makes sense.

I would try to take advantage of the source control system you are using. Most allow you to branch development paths and therefore allow you to have two different copies of a single system.

I'm sure you know this already though.

If this is going to be a regular occurance it would make sense to be able to turn of parts of your system for different users/user groups. This would allow you to make the same application work no matter how many groups you want to give it to.

This is just my opinion and you can ignore it if you like as it is not really answering your original question.

Best of luck with your deployment.

Owen