Discussions

News: J-ASP 2.1 ASP to JSP/Servlet Conversion Tool Available

1. Netcoole has released J-ASP 2.1, a product that can convert ASP apps to JSP or Servlet apps running on any JDK enabled system. J-ASP supports ASP core Objects,such as ASP Build-in, Installable, FileSystemOblect and ADO etc. But it can't support external ActiveX/COM objects/DLLs.

Check out http://www.netcoole.com/.

Threaded Messages (16)

2. There is more to converting an ASP application to a JSP application than just converting the code. Most ASP applications have pages full of SQL code and one of the big advantages of JSP is getting away from that development model. I wouldn't trust a conversion tool to do the job.
  3. You must be joking, when for the last time did you see a production ASP page with SQL in it?? Maybe you want to tell me that in JSP I can't write JDBC code with inline SQL?
  4. Ok, so you've got all your data access done through COM objects, which from my experience do not scale well unless you are using MTS. This tool isn't going to convert them for you, so you still have to do it yourself.

I'm not saying you can't write JDBC code in JSP. Just that from my experience you are much more likely to see ADO code in ASP pages than JDBC code in JSP pages.
  5. <quote>
    when for the last time did you see a production ASP page with SQL in it?? Maybe you want to tell me that in JSP I can't write JDBC code with inline SQL?
    </quote>

There is significantly higher chance to have ASPs full with SQL and business rules simply because that was the programming model supported and promoted by Microsoft when it first came out. All the "wizards" and built-in Visual Studio 6 (InterDev) were generating pages filled up with SQL code in the pages. It took some time until Microsoft came out and said that it's not best practice to use their tools....
    There are less JSP projects with SQL code because the associated blueprints always promoted clean separation and proper best-practices.
  6. <quote>
    You must be joking, when for the last time did you see a production ASP page with SQL in it??
    </quote>

About two weeks ago. It was a magazine article showing folk how to use ASP. Most Active Server Pages I've come across just stick the SQL straight on the page.

Obviously you can do the same with JSP, but in my experience, I find that Java bods are more likely to the SQL code out of harm's way; in a servlet or an EJB.

7. I agree with the post about SQL in ASP pages. I am currently working on a ASP to JSP conversion...and the two biggest issues are ASP pages with SQL embedded and the fact that business rules are repeated over and over again in all of the ASPs. Every ASP project I have seen has had embedded SQL in all of the pages. I don't think there is a magic cure for an ASP -> JSP conversion......wouldn't we just end up with the same sloppy structure, just in a different language?
  8. I don't think there is a magic cure for an ASP -> JSP >conversion......wouldn't we just end up with the same >sloppy structure, just in a different language?

I agree it might be sloppy, however, if you are trying to convert over to J2EE, you could use this solution to move legacy code over. All further development could then be done correctly, and you would not have the problem of sharing a session between two servers, and maintaining two platforms.
  9. That's nothing. My company just got a contract to rewrite a production asp app that had tons of sql in the client vbscript code! Remote Data Objects was a very, very bad idea.

Don
  10. I am sorry to say that evaluating J-ASP is by far my worst experience with any software evaluation. There's some sloppy license checking algorithm which just says "license key is expired" though I just installed it and was using first time. Besides getting a fix from the developer and trying a complete path in classpath, I could not get it to work.

Tahir
  11. Download eval??
  12. I am also working on a Conversion project from ASP to JSP/Struts.But the biggest problem we found was of handling includes and global variables .In ASP the only way to structure and reuse code is to use include files and global functions so how this tool is handling that.
    All variables are global in the pagescope in JSP and need not be passed in the function and are visible in include so i think this tool might not be able to support this kind of conversion.
  13. J-ASP does support the global variales and include files. you can try J-ASP evaluation version on your ASP project.
  14. There is sql in Asp code ...
    And so?
    Where is the problem?
    If i understand , the problem is when u try to convert
              Dim rs as recordset
              rs.resync
    Yes ado or dao provide a cache mecanism since 1996 !!!
    until now Jdbc 2.0 provide nothing comparable. u have to keep the connection alive all the time u need the data ; or to store it in a collection or As the ibm's wizard in websphere studio, u write sql in jsp page.

I dont work for $un nor microsoft
    i work for myself
    asp->jsp Shaihulud
  15. There is sql in Asp code ...
    And so?
    Where is the problem?
    If i understand , the problem is when u try to convert
              Dim rs as recordset
              rs.resync()
    This king of instructions ( means resync with db to refresh the data; means u are not connected all time with db but u keep ur recordset alive!)
    Yes ado or dao provide a cache mecanism since 1996 !!!
    until now Jdbc 2.0 provide nothing comparable. u have to keep the connection alive all the time u need the data ; or to store it in a collection or As the ibm's wizard in websphere studio, u write sql in jsp page.

asp->jsp
                      jsp -> asp.Net

I dont care it s just another jobs !!!!
    thank u $un , thank u micro$oft

16. Sun's ChiliSoft ASP[ Go to top ]

Has anybody tried ChiliSoft ASP
    (aka "Sun ONE Active Server Pages")?

http://www.chilisoft.com/

ChiliSoft is owned by Sun.

17. I saw discussions about this tool.
    I also don't think that this can satisfy any one.
    In my experience, it was useful using asp2php converting tool from asp to php.
    Only If we get a help only a little, I think this tool is valueable.