Discussions

News: XMLSPY 5 XML Development Environment Released

1. XMLSPY 5 XML Development Environment Released (11 messages)

Version 5 of the XML Development Environment XMLSPY has been released and it now includes a WSDL Editor, XSLT Debugger, XML Schema based Code Generator (Java or C++), and HTML Importer which converts HTML to XML + XSLT Stylesheet + XML Schema/DTD.

Also available from Altova are a new line of XML products, including Authentic and StyleVision (see below).

Visit http://www.altova.com/.

Press Release
    -------------------------
    We are pleased to announce the release of the new Altova XML product line, available immediately for free trial download at: http://www.altova.com/download - The new product line consists of:

XMLSPY 5 - Builds on the previous XMLSPY version by adding XSLT debugging, WSDL editing, Java/C++ code generation, HTML Importing, Tamino Integration, and much more. The new features are described in more detail below.

AUTHENTIC 5- A standards-based, browser enabled document editor, allowing business users to seamlessly capture thoughts and ideas directly in XML content for storage in any content management system, database, or XML repository, for later retrieval or transformation, unlocking corporate knowledge.

STYLEVISION 5 - The first XML tool for web developers to provide powerful conversion utilities for painless migration of traditional HTML websites to true XML-based sites, consisting of XSLT stylesheets, XML Schema/DTD and XML content.

To learn more about the new Altova product line, please visit our completely re-designed website at: http://www.altova.com

The following is a detailed summary of several key new features in the new product line:

* XSLT Debugging
    XMLSPY 5 now includes a built in XSLT processor and XSLT debugger! Incrementally step through an XSLT transformation process with an intuitive 3-panel interface displaying the input XML document (with context node highlighted), the XSLT stylesheet (with current node highlighted), and the output document as it is being built in real-time. Set breakpoints on either the XSLT stylesheet or the XML input document; inspect variables, check the call stack, analyze node-sets, and more!

* HTML Importing
    Convert any HTML page to a true XML-enabled site based on XSLT stylesheets for presentation, an XML Schema (or DTD) defining the content model, and the XML file containing the page content itself. XMLSPY 5 has a new HTML Importer that enables any web designer to easily perform HTML-to-XML migration through a visual drag-and-drop interface. Separate the presentation and content of any HTML page with by highlighting regions of an existing HTML file, then drag it across the screen and place it in a page content model. The resulting XML Schema/DTD, XSLT stylesheet, and XML content files are all auto-generated.

* WSDL Editing
    A new Web Service Description Language (WSDL) editor allows you to edit, visualize and validate any WSDL file. WSDL is ideally suited as an Interface Definition Language (IDL) for architecting Web service applications. By first building an interface, client and server programmers can independently implement their respective programming contract using any language or operating system, avoiding interoperability problems. Also includes integration with XMLSPY's schema editor for editing of data-types, and generation of Java or C++ class files based on schema data-types. Ideal for use in conjunction with external tools that generate web service stubs from WSDL files.

* XML Schema Driven Code Generation
    XMLSPY 5 Enterprise Edition supports generation of Java / C++ class files based on XML Schemas to accelerate binding of XML Schema components to your software application. Additional language bindings will be added in subsequent releases, including support for generating Java files. The C++ generated output is uses MSXML 4.0 and includes a Visual Studio 6.0 project file; the generated Java output is written against the industry-standard Java API for XML Parsing (JAXP) and includes a Sun Forte for Java project file and Apache Ant build script. Additional code is implemented, such as functions which read/write XML files into a Document Object Model (DOM) in-memory representation and back to a file again, as well as XML validation and transformation. Generated code is completely customizable via a flexible template language which can be used to modify default templates or build new templates to generate any output files, for example, SQL scripts or ASP code.

* Support for Industry Templates
    XMLSPY Enterprise Edition includes built-in templates for various industry XML standards including DocBook, US Patent & Trademark Office "RedBook", Information Text Format (NITF), News Markup Language (NewsML), and many others - or, simply create any custom templates for any XML content model using STYLEVISION 5.

* Enhancements for Authentic 5 Browser Edition
    The AUTHENTIC 5 browser edition includes built-in spell-checking, entry helpers, complete toolbar customization; now available as a Microsoft ASP.NET or Microsoft Content Management Server control. A new AUTHENTIC 5 Forms Edition has also been released which allows web developers to replace HTML forms with XML-based Authentic Forms, automatically validating and capturing all form data into XML format for subsequent posting and processing to a server. The AUTHENTIC 5 Forms Edition is available for free, and can be embedded into any web page to allow editing of XML data directly within the Browser.

Download the Free Evaluation copy today! http://www.altova.com/download.

Threaded Messages (11)

2. ... If you have IE5 or later[ Go to top ]

... you have a complete MS XML Component (XSLT etc) accessible for you via COM!
    Some clever guy already wrote a neat piece of code that programs to that interface and made a quite nice developer oriented workspace ...

http://www.xmlcooktop.com/

And best.. for free!
  3. ... If you have IE5 or later[ Go to top ]

Agreed, I've been using XMLCooktop for a little while now, and I really like it.

My minor complaints would be:

- Its UI is sometimes puzzling and doesn't comply to Windows' look and feel (for example, Ctrl-O doesn't open a new file)

- It won't let me edit several XML files at the same time (or more precisely: it will close the current one before opening the new one). How about tabbed editors to allow several files?

XMLSpy sure looks impressive but it's way too complex for my basic XML needs.

--
    Cedric
  4. ... If you have IE5 or later[ Go to top ]

Cedric

I agree that XMLSpy (I'm using V4.4) is very 'rich'. But
    we're using XML schemas here and the XML Schema editing
    features are the best - despite a
    few special <emphasis>unexpected features</emphasis>.

I'll certainly be lookuing at V5.

Cheers,

Gary

Check out the Stylus Studio XML schema editor... way better then spy.
  6. ... If you have IE5 or later[ Go to top ]

Cedric Beust,

XMLSPY can edit as many XML files at the same time as you would like. Just open 2 or more files and see for yourself, and look at the tabs at the bottom of the screen. THe current file will not be closed.

If you find that XMLSPY 5 Enterprise is too complex for you basic needs, please try out the XMLSPY 5 Home edition, which is a basic XML editor for casual home / student use.

Larry Kim
  7. ... If you have IE5 or later[ Go to top ]

<Larry>
    Cedric Beust,
    XMLSPY can edit as many XML files at the same time as you would like. Just open 2 or more files and see for yourself, and look at the tabs at the bottom of the screen. THe current file will not be closed.
    </Larry>

I was talking about CookTop, not XMLSpy...

--
    Cedric
  8. XMLSPY 5 XML Development Environment Released[ Go to top ]

I downloaded XMLSPY v5 Enterprise Edition and tried its WSDL graphical editor. Unfortunately, I have to report that it does not work with a WSDL file that was generated by WebLogic 7.0 and tested successfully with a .Net Web service client. I just opened a case with the technical support at Altova (maker of XMLSPY) and see if they can take a look.

In general, I am struggling in specifying interfaces described by Web services. With Java and IDL, I can use IDEs such as TogetherControlCenter. But I haven't found any tools that can let me graphically describe interfaces with Web services (WSDL and XML Schema). I expect major IDE vendors will come out with support to Web services soon. But are there anythings available now?

Thanks.
  9. XMLSPY 5 XML Development Environment Released[ Go to top ]

I found a wsdl editor from CapeClear, free for now. It seems pretty good. It is a part of CapeStudio IDE.

http://www.capescience.com/downloads/wsdleditor/index.shtml

10. Agreed...I was looking for a WSDL editor and have tried both CapeClear's and the WSDL editing functionality in XML Spy 5. As something of a Web services newbie, I found Cape Clear's WSDL Editor much easier to get into. It's graphical rendering of WSDL was, to me, much clearer than XML Spy's inter-connected boxes. Additionally, the Cape Clear documentation was much more extensive and explanatory.
  11. I use XSLT extensively in our project (take a look at
    background if you are interested). I really felt the
    need of a visual XSLT debugger supporting SAXON XSLT
    processor. I received a private communication from
    Mr Rob Rohan on open source IDE called Treebeard
    (http://treebeard.sourceforge.net).

In our J2EE based project, we achieved 62% code generation.
    Whenever I hit a road block in XPATH/XSLT, I print the
    tree fragment right smack in the middle of generated
    code --> then analyze the tree --> use correct XSLT/XPATH
    as par gained understanding --> remove the tree
    printout --> proceed. The whole infrastructure is stable
    and the need for new XSLT/XPATH programming is less.

I know, this kind of "modus operandi" will not work in
    a high volume XSLT production environment. For example in
    a web development shop, multi-line publishing etc. If you
    need high XSLT/XPATH/XML productivity then you need
    similar tools as "JBuilder for Java development". I
    would like to ask if XML Spy offers the same level of
    XSLT/XPATH/XML development convenience as JBuilder offers??

Soumen Sarkar.

Background
    ==========
    In our J2EE based project, we achieved 62% code generation
    by

1. Specifying XML model or by converting model in other
       forms to XML model

2. XSLT scripting on XML models.

Model Driven Programming, published in XML journal of SYS-CON media, August 2002, Volume 3, Issue 8. The article proposed an extension of Model View Controller (MVC) architecture and showed how to implement in software development projects. The online version could be found at http://www.sys-con.com/xml/pdf/trees.pdf
  12. Saxon XSLT debugger[ Go to top ]

Soumen, check out the Stylus Studio xslt debugger - it supports integrated debugging with the saxon xslt processor, and other XSLT processors (MSXML, Xerces, System.XML, etc). You can even debug java xslt extension functions... http://www.stylusstudio.com