Introducing Tales From TheServerSide - Your J2EE Cartoons

Discussions

News: Introducing Tales From TheServerSide - Your J2EE Cartoons

1. TheServerSide is pleased to present a new cartoon series, "Tales From TheServerSide", a biweekly comic strip which will form the first ever collection of J2EE cartoons! Featured this week is 'The Great ECperf Race'. Inspired by a turbulent year of ECperf benchmark tests, this cartoon is a satire on what at times seemed like a back and forth race between the big vendors.
    What's special about Tales From TheServerSide is that you, the members, can contribute ideas for all future cartoons. Last December, we asked members if they had any cool EJB/Java Jokes they thought would make for a good comic series:

http://www.theserverside.com/home/thread.jsp?thread_id=10955

We received some excellent jokes from everybody and would love to get more ideas in this thread.

Check out "The Great ECperf Race"

Threaded Messages (49)

2. Very funny!!!
  3. Is the joke creator from pramati ??
  4. The drawing style is great! But I do think the image contents could have been a bit more clear on what they intended to convey. It took me a few seconds to "get it" (I didn't see the bike on the background in the race pictures the first time, and because of that wasn't sure if the finish picture suggested that the bike finished first or there was another reason for the look on the boy's face) and for cartoons that usually is a killer. And I'm betting I'm not the only one...
  5. I'll second that. Great graphics but a bit unclear plot. BTW to what incident/victory this cartoon refers to? Has Pramati done Something Very Wonderful(tm) like beating BEA, IBM and Oracle in some perftest or what?
  6. Certainly, the creator is not from Pramati. But I must say, that we were pleasantly surprised at the cartoon.

To be fair though, the cartoon does show all players being there more or less at the same time. Which was in essence the spirit of Ecperf. Absolute vendor support!

Cheers,
    Ramesh
    - Pramati
  7. No way u deserve this tag it should go to JBOSS and i am not from JBOSS but i think JBOOS is the Big three killer rather u guy's
  8. What about the other J2EE vendors, they shoud have a place in the race, like macromedias JRun app. server... that's the cheapest J2EE server from a rasonable company
  9. Who decided that Pramati won?
    I checked the official ecPerf results...
  10. Knowingly or Unknowingly, good Marketing for Pramati:)
  11. Its very funny, but the message was not clear. It took some time for me to understand, that pramati won the match. The art or representing something in cartoon is its simplicity and easily convey the meaning.
  12. Pretty darn LAME!
  13. pramati was the first j2ee 1.3 certified appserver

It was covered pretty extensively here at the serverside
  14. just noticed the ecperf banner, dont know what its supposed to reprecent then maybe they had their performance figures in first, though i dont think so, borland was quickest to do so i believe, and they sure didnt better any results of the big players, i dont get it then
  15. Why don't you rename your site to "TheServerSide: Pramati"

So what if Pramati has beaten BEA others....? Good for it! What matters is the number of installations and the sites powered by the app server

What' the humor? We have seen many David/Goliath battles. So what?

This falls flat!
  16. I suggest a cartoon based on TSS readers reacting
    to cartoons about J2EE :-)
  17. Yes, the reaction from viewers says more about J2EE geeks than the cartoon I think!

Great idea, as someone who's tried to analyse the ECPerf results "logically" I think a picture is worth a thousand or so words (and few dozen spread sheets and graphs). There are many and varied ways to "read" this cartoon.

Paul Brebner
    CSIRO
  18. Come on. It is their first try. It is difficult for geeks to be humorous. On the giving and receiving end. Lighten up. Yeah, it took me a couple of reads too. I didn't put my foot through the monitor though.
  19. Very interesting !!!

Much better than J2EEvs.NET wars on TSS !

However... I didnt get whats so funny there.

It would be more fun if IBM's guy was overrun by a drunk bike rider from Pramati :-)

no offense here,
    Maris
  20. You guys are taking this way to literally. :) Its just a fun cartoon!

There are two punchlines in this cartoon. One that Pramati won the race (the David and Goliath thing), and the other was the cultural play - the Pramati guy is driving a scooter, a method of transportation very common in India (Pramati is based in India). Well, my fellow Indian co-workers (who came up with the idea) thought that was funny, anyway. :)

I'm glad if some people don't like it, cause then you must have ideas for even better cartoons! If so, please suggest them here! We'll turn your ideas to life in a cartoon like this one.

Floyd
  21. Pretty darn LAME!

Agreed--Cartoons are *not* the TSS' strength, and if this is the pilot I can only shudder about what we can look forward to. This is embarrassing for TSS.

Creators' Syndicate at www.creators.com, among others, is where you go for cartoons, and the TSS for the latest J2EE news. I would recommend keeping it that way.

Glen

22. <Q>
    >>Pretty darn LAME!

Agreed--Cartoons are *not* the TSS' strength, and if this is the pilot I can only shudder about what we can look forward to. This is embarrassing for TSS.

Creators' Syndicate at www.creators.com, among others, is where you go for cartoons, and the TSS for the latest J2EE news. I would recommend keeping it that way.

Glen
    </Q>
    [Sigh!] The latest J2EE news? Is that what you are concerned with? Seems like the most popular parts are non-news things. Most of the arguments presented there are a joke. I think cartoons are excellent for those people (words are tough for them - they need pictures). Maybe stick figures would be better. There is nothing wrong with humor. Even from a serious site.
  23. Was this cartoon authored and drawn by the same person (some geek artist!) Or are they two different people. Did they (s/he) ask for anynomity?
    The idea of prsenting J2EE cartoons is pretty good though.
  24. Sam,

The artist who drew this cartoon did not conceive of the idea. The concept was contributed by several people, including myself and I assure you that Pramati was in no way involved. :)

Again, the point of this cartoon, which, I agree, is not immediately clear, is that the 'underdog' ends up winning the race. Of course, this assumes some familiarity with the ECperf results these vendors posted. The bigger vendors posted the best results, so this cartoon was a way of saying "What if one of the smaller vendors 'won' the ECperf race".

So, being the first cartoon, it would be great to get some criticisms on how we can improve these. It would be even better if we got some fresh new ideas from everybody.

This cartoon may be a little cryptic, but future ones don't have to be. :)

Nitin
  25. And by the way is about time for another round of Java jokes?
  26. Didn't anyone else notice that, although all the drivers had goggles on, they never actually wore them properly during the race? Am I to imply that the vendors disregard safety concerns trying to go all out to win the race, risking their eyesight (reputation?)?
  27. The cartoon is great - even if it required a bit of study to "get". Shouldn't Mr. Ellison have been piloting his LearJet though :)? Not so entertaining is the predictable response from the anally retentive readers. I'm so glad for you guys that Java runs on your mainframes.
  28. I'm missing the dark side here ... (Like some BEA evangelist corrupting the classpath on the IBM machine before the race, Marc Fleury getting disqualified by the race judges because his engine is too big, ours Greg Leake
    could smuggle some sugar in the oracle tank, ...

And where're the chearleaders? Almost seems they're not interested in J2EE ... or vice versa? Hmmm. (There seemed to be quite some off-topic interest lately in JSF.)
  29. <snip>
    I'm missing the dark side here ... (Like some BEA evangelist corrupting the classpath on the IBM machine before the race, Marc Fleury getting disqualified by the race judges because his engine is too big, ours Greg Leake
    could smuggle some sugar in the oracle tank, ...
    <snip>

Bob

What fueled the Pramati engine?? or is it that they did not require any such help if our people kept sabotaging each other...:-))

Hey I think its a great idea to have some fun...gives a good break from the usual stuff..
    Keep it up!!

Robbie
  30. I'd like to see the Orion engine under the Oracle hood ;-)
  31. Vow.. this cartoon series adds feather to ServerSide, and makes the site more interesting
  32. <q>
    </q>
    I bet you would not find J2EE cartoons there :-)
  33. If anybody has any cool ideas for upcoming cartoons, please submit them to tales at theserverside dot com

When submitting ideas, it's important to know that these ideas will be communicated to a cartoonist, so as good as an 'idea' or 'concept' may be, it ultimately has to make it's point 'visually', so provide as much detail as you can in your submissions.

It helps if you break down your ideas into 'frames' that lead up to some kind of a punchline. Your cartoon could even be a single frame if the 'joke' is obvious. And of course, dialog can also be included.

Regards,
    Nitin
  34. You gotta do something with whole .NET vs J2EE. I think cartoons on that subject would be great. Liberty Alliance vs. Hailstorm!
  35. <quote>You gotta do something with whole .NET vs J2EE. I think cartoons on that subject would be great. Liberty Alliance vs. Hailstorm!
    </quote>
    Yeah -- like representing J2EE and .NET as boxers slugging it out. The punchline would be both boxers eventually noticing that the crowd has turned away and left the match...to drool over the latest hyped-up software trend. The message of course being not to shed too much blood on either technology, we'll just need to learn another tomorrow.
  36. J2EE vs .NET

Or perhaps the J2EE boxer travelling the world, demonstrating his pugilistic skills, alas with a single pair of worn-out gloves, while Mr .Net can box in several gloves types, even ones from yesteryear, alas he can only box in one ring and after being this way for so long, spectators fear to go there just in case they get locked in and can't get home to their wives.
  37. Now that would be difficult to put into a comic plot line! After seeing some of the responses to this comic, I am not sure that many would make it to the end to see if M$ bought Sun.
  38. OK Is Pramati that good? If we want to be realistic I should say Orion is the most straightforward J2EE container ever found and ask Oracle if you don't believe this. Any go on with this series
  39. Not bad..

I am not sure if this is humourous but thought this thread might be the place share the following :

Open the Google home page and search "GO TO HELL" within double quotes and press the[I AM FEELING LUCKY button.]

40. hey, now that WAS funny :-)
  41. Good One ! That was really funny!!!!!
  42. Hahahaha...gotta love google :)
  43. Funny, but the wrong flag is depicted[ Go to top ]

You don't start a race with a checkered flag! That is the flag used to flag the winner

Commical though!
  44. Gosh, the J2EE market must be quiet.
  45. Where is Borland....I thought they were first?
  46. Well done!!! You have provoked emotion and ignited discussion about the content and meaning of your "art"! Reading the posts so far I've identified a few things I didn't see at first. I didn't know that Pramati was based in India and scooters are typical transportation - I thought the scooter just represented the underdog and the "big boys" were in the slick looking vehicles. I like that I had to think a bit to "get it".

Another subtle undertone that I have not seen discussed is that a race such as the one in this cartoon, depicted in some sort of arena is simply a form of entertainment for the spectators. The results of the race are more meaningful for the participants than for the spectators.
  47. It's not funny
  48. It's not funny

Did you expect it to be? They said it was a satire. And those being satired seldom understand or think it is 'funny' if meant to be so. You probably like Beetle Bailey and hate Doonesbury.
  49. I totally agree to Mike Brown's comment at http://www.theserverside.com/home/thread.jsp?thread_id=15746. Seems vendors are busy fighting each other and have no interest to promote J2EE.
  50. Are we to assume that M$ at one time was good (Anakin Skywalker) but got confused (what is J2EE ?), was attacked and pushed into a Java pit (lava pit), got burned (black mask/lawsuit), started breathing heavy and spouting parentage statements (Duke, I am your father ... not)

Good stuff in any event, keep it up !

PK