HP to bundle BEA Weblogic on UX11i Servers

Discussions

News: HP to bundle BEA Weblogic on UX11i Servers

1. HP to bundle BEA Weblogic on UX11i Servers (14 messages)

HP on Friday announced it would bundle latest versions of BEA WebLogic on its popular UX11i server. BEA and HP (which competes heavily with IBM on server hardware) began this relationship in June, when the companies announced that HP would put its giant sales and services force behind BEA's software products.

Read BEA and Hewlett-Packard Team Up Against IBM.

Threaded Messages (14)

2. I wonder if BEA is planning to port JRockit to the HP-UX platform.
  3. <q>
    I wonder if BEA is planning to port JRockit to the HP-UX platform.
    </q>

actually, according to them (BEA), JRockit will be ported to several platforms such as Solaris, HU-UX & Linux.
  4. Intersting to see BEA playing the alliance and bundling game again. BEA has allied with Intel and now HP.
  5. and other BEA's products...[ Go to top ]

What about other BEA's product like portal server or weblogic integration ?
  6. and other BEA's products...[ Go to top ]

Interesting that they also announced a _very_ large commitment to .NET today.

http://news.com.com/2100-1001-959000.html

-Newt
  7. and other BEA's products...[ Go to top ]

Looks like good business sense to me. Why just support J2EE or .NET when you can do both? For HP, that's natural (they sell all sorts of hardware and services), and it may even give them better leverage on both sides. HP is still a big J2EE supporter -- they have a huge push on right now to sell more high end Unix kit for running J2EE apps and their JVM support has improved dramatically! (See their 1.3.1 verbose GC output as an example.)

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Easily share live data across a cluster!
  8. and other BEA's products...[ Go to top ]

Oh I agree. Makes perfect sense to me. Just tickles my sense of irony that's all.

-Jason
  9. and other BEA's products...[ Go to top ]

Cameron you make an excellent point.

But it is a bit concerning how much press this announcement is getting. (HP & .NET) From both Microsoft and HP. So far I have read about it on news.com, technews.com, slashdot.org and we are talking about it already on theserverside.com.

I just don't see this kind of marketing from HP & Sun whenever they do something in the Java world. It feels like the Java engine is loosing some steam. Although Java is mature I think it is important that vendors (not just HP) keep the Java marketing engine going. Because that crazy little blue engine is tailgaiting. :)

Greg Peres
    Rogers Communication Inc.
  10. and other BEA's products...[ Go to top ]

BEA Portal is just a J2EE application/framework which runs in WebLogic Server.
  11. and other BEA's products...[ Go to top ]

<q>
    What about other BEA's product like portal server or weblogic integration ?
    </q>

All the article means is that if you buy a multi-million dollar machine, HP will download the weblogic evaluation suite for you and install it on the machine.

They have just saved you a 290 MB download and a login into the BEA website.

cool ... real cool ... this is a great partnership <chuckle>

a++ Cedric
  12. and other BEA's products...[ Go to top ]

It might mean a little more. I think it's just another small step toward J2EE becoming a commodity. At one time, you had to BUY tcp/ip software. Then it became so widespread that it was just included in the OS. I remember having to buy an orb to do iiop, now it's part of the java language. C compilers are included with Solaris, HP/UX, etc. The market seems to reflect this idea too - open source offerings gaining popularity, vendors leaving the market, competition on price over functionality, etc.

I could be wrong.

-Scott
  13. Should I buy a HP UX11i Server because I get a free 6 month trial version of WLS ?
    This does not make any sense to me.
  14. HP to bundle BEA Weblogic on UX11i Servers[ Go to top ]

Here is the 'ON THE OTHER HAND...':

Microsoft, HP ally to push .NET

http://www.ciol.com/content/news/repts/102092405.asp

If HP needs to survive the market by supporting both the architectures that
    are rival in nature to each other, it seems apparently that they may loose
    their business, on both the grounds!

Will HP succedd in its business game?

-RK INDIA
  15. Probably they can succeed on both the grounds! Getting the best of the both worlds ?

Business people cannot afford to be religious toward any technology.

Just my 2c.

Cheers,
    Elango