Discussions

News: Macromedia Flash Remoting MX Released

1. Macromedia Flash Remoting MX Released (33 messages)

Macromedia today announced Macromedia Flash Remoting MX for J2EE AppServers (and also for .NET). Flash Remoting MX allows you to connect any J2EE-backend (EJB's, JMX, Servlets, java classes) to new GUI written in Flash; it was already used to create a new Petstore GUI on top of the original Petstore EJB layer.

Read the press release.

Related news on TSS:
    Macromedia Builds FlashMX Rich Client Front-End to J2EE Petstore.
    Macromedia ColdFusion MX for J2EE AppServers Released.

Threaded Messages (33)

2. Macromedia Flash Remoting MX Released[ Go to top ]

"Flash Remoting" is the technology that allows client-side Flash to communicate with a server.

Macromedia told me that the communication protocol is based upon a type of binary message format.

Flash-based GUI's use a Macromedia language called ActionScript.
  3. Macromedia Flash Remoting MX Released[ Go to top ]

Seems cool - just to warn you - I found that a lot of the JSPs and ActionScript seem to be hardcoded to "localhost." Full review on my blog at http://www.raibledesigns.com/page/rd/20020923#flash_remoting_mx_developer_edition
  4. Macromedia Flash Remoting MX Released[ Go to top ]

Well .. might be interesting, all right, if it runs on anything but the Macromedia app server. Their seems to imply that their app pserver is required (well, it doesn't 'imply' that, is states it outright) - does anyone know if this stuff can run on any other app server ?

5. Macromedia Flash Remoting MX Released[ Go to top ]

Sorry - meant to include the URL where this is stated :

http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/flashremoting/system_reqs/
  6. You should be able to run their Macromedia Flash Remoting MX product on every other Java appserver and also .Net. They garantee it to run on JRun, Weblogic and Websphere. I heard it will cost you $999 per CPU. Has anybody deployed and run it one any other server perhaps? Jboss? Anyway, their appserver (JRun) seems to have looked closely at what Jboss offers and how it works..
  7. flash remoting - tomcat[ Go to top ]

i have deployed flashremoting gateway in tomcat...
    and worked pretty good!!! (until now.....)
  8. Macromedia Flash Remoting MX Released[ Go to top ]

Take a look at www.gallus.com

We've just finished this Flash MX site.
    The whole back-end is Java, actually all content and images come from a database.
    The administrator can add langauges, menu's images ...

The communication between Flash and java is based on XML messaging.

Jean-Luc van Hulst
    Finalist IT Group
    The Netherlands.
  9. Macromedia Flash Remoting MX Released[ Go to top ]

Very nice site! fast and easy... interesting what you're saying... at my company we're evaluating the possibility of Flash on the client side, but we care about how Flash works with XML... did you find it easy?

Juan
  10. Macromedia Flash Remoting MX Released[ Go to top ]

Well the Actionscripting part is what you need to XML from Flash. From a developer point of view it's not so hard. But from a typical Flash developer point of view it can be. Most Flash people are designers more than programmers and the Flash MX programming environment is still very much design oriented... So we had some challenges there....

Jean-Luc
    Finalist IT Group
    The Netherlands
  11. Macromedia Flash Remoting MX Released[ Go to top ]

There doesn't seem to be a flash 6 player for linux yet although flash MX has been out for months. I guess if you don't run windoze you are SOL. Why are applets looked down upon again? ;)
  12. Macromedia Flash Remoting MX Released[ Go to top ]

Jean-Luc,

Congratulations, the site is a speed demon! And only the necessary parts of the screen are rewritten.. Do you use the Flash Remoting Server or only ordinary (asynchron?) XML communication? What Java app server are you using?

As I understands it, Macromedia have no plans to release Flash MX for Linux but the Flash 6 player for Linux are coming soon.

Very nice.

Regards
    Rolf Tollerud

13. Macromedia Flash Remoting MX Released[ Go to top ]

Jean-Luc,

Can you tell us more about how you used XML between Flash client and Java on the server?
    I know there are some WebService examples that ship with JBoss.net that use Flash.

Thanks,

Steve
  14. hmm... the first page is nice, but the one after language selection: no progress indicator (if one present showes only for a moment when all has loaded actually)

Also does not cache flash presentations: when you click
    a link already visisted it reloads all. Is it inherent to the model?
  15. Does anyone know if macromedia intends to provide JMS support? It will be really cool to provide a push communication to clients in web-browsers with flash interface.
  16. It's not so simple to provide something like that.
    Just think about firewalls to start with ...
    It's pretty simple to emulate 'push' by 'polling' which is fairly simple to do with Flash...

Jean-Luc
  17. Depends on which JMS implementation you use. For example Nirvana from my-channels has a built-in http protocol stack that also supports firewall traversal and http proxies while providing persistent connections and automatic reconnection logic. Check out www.my-channels.com

Alex
  18. Macromedia Flash Remoting MX Released[ Go to top ]

We 've already do that before remoting MX !

the flow is :

flash client --(actionscript:xmlsocket)--> Java message server(a socket server ,acccept the flash client request)--(EJB remote interface)-->EJB

well ,what 's the remoting MX , it should be the middle message server ,which will invoke EJB via remote interface
  19. Macromedia Flash Remoting MX Released[ Go to top ]

You don’t have to use sockets, with asynchronous XML messaging you have a stateless connection. It would be nice if Jean-Luc would elaborate a little more. Did he use the Flash Remote Server?

This example do not use Flash Remote, (you need not pay for the remote server).

loginReplyXML = new XML();
    loginReplyXML.onLoad = onLoginReply;

loginXML.sendAndLoad("http://217.208.47.6/testweb/viewmapper.aspx", loginReplyXML);

function onLoginReply(){

var e = this.firstChild.firstChild;
      while (e != null) {
    list1_lb.addItem(e.attributes.ProductName, etc.. }
        }
    }

Regards
    Rolf Tollerud

20. We are currently building an application that is using Flash 6 as UI and WebSphere.

We are sending XML over http to get a “stateless connection”, the application is in Swedish and we are experiencing problems with character encoding. UI developers are telling us that we have to use UTF-8 but when we try it doesn’t work any way.

There is also a problem with line brake in texts. They don’t appear at all. (so we replaced them with \n in the Flash application before we send the XML response to the server.)

Anybody that hade the same experience?

Regards
    /Nicklas
  21. Macromedia Flash Remoting MX Released[ Go to top ]

Here are some facts about what we're doing:

- The backend runs Jboss, without the Flash remoting server.
    - The site is completely multiligual, we tested it with Russian, a langauge that is not in the current production version but we tested the site with.
    This is one of the main reasons why we needed Flash MX. Most of the XML stuff was already in Flash 5 (Check out www.vanlier.nl, this is what we made last year, same concept but with Flash 5 and here only the 'collection part, browsing through the shoe collection is datadriven.)

In flash we're basicly using the concept that Rolf described. You can take a look at some of the actions at a test page: gallus.finalist.com/gallus/test/ try the FlashservletTest.jsp and use the Fetch menu command with languagecode "RU" and you'll get an XML file with some Russion "hello world' in it. (UTF-8 encoded)

One of the problems we had in Flash was timing, loading the XML is a background process and that caused some headaches.

And as someone noticed there's no caching inside the Flash client, but I don't think that's a big problem. The alternative is a huge Flash file (like in the www.vanlier.nl site) now it's very fast and 'real-time'

Jean-Luc
    jl at finalist dot com
    Finalist IT Group
    The Netherlands

Try
  22. Macromedia Flash Remoting MX Released[ Go to top ]

We have been using Flash, XML, and Java since January to provide a real-time updating Flash Client. We make use of the Flash client and an XML socket, a socket server spawning ConnectionHandlers for each connected client, and XML messages between the two. Our app-server is JBoss 2.4.6. The socket server is a JMX Bean. We use JMS to publish messages between JMX services, EJB's for data access, and we push real-time messages to the flash interface using XML. All works great for the most part.

We have ran into two areas of trouble. When we push out a new version of the .fla file, some of our clients have trouble with the cached version of it already on the machine. The biggest problem we have is the XMLSocket implementation. In Flash 5, it worked great. Since we have had our client upgrade to Flash 6, the XMLSocket is much less reliable. It drops connections often, without invoking the callback registered to listen for this event. This is our biggest headache as it makes it more unreliable than we would like.

But the concpet is great. You can have a rich, real-time client and all the back-end logic in Java.

James Birchfield
    Director, Application Development
    Genscape, Inc.
    http://www.genscape.com
    jim.birchfield@genscape.com

23. What database are you using?

24. Macromedia Flash Remoting MX Released[ Go to top ]

gallus.com runs on a solaris server with Oracle 8i

Jean-Luc
  25. Macromedia Flash Remoting MX Released[ Go to top ]

Downloaded the eval of Flash MX and have been going through the Lessons, Tutorials, and the Flash MX Action Scipt Bible.

You java programmers don't kid yourselves into thinking that you can jump into Flash in any reasonable amount of time. The learning curve is staggering. An the dev environment is very designer oriented. 3 days and I'm just getting a hang of frames, layers, movie clips, are without really producing anything useful.

The whole development idea is completely unfamilliar to regular programmers. Not giving up but I don't see our shop doing any Flash UIs without hiring Flash people, which we don't forsee doing any time soon.

Geoff
  26. Macromedia Flash Remoting MX Released[ Go to top ]

Geoff,

I am in the same boat. I started playing with Flash for a UI and I am finding it very hard to get used to. Very different than designing a Swing front end, for example.

Steve
  27. Macromedia Flash Remoting MX Released[ Go to top ]

Check out www.friendsofed.com , they have really good books for when you want to get your hands dirty on Flash. I myself am a developer with a java/j2ee/jsp background , but last year i've got the chance to delve into flash. I got exited by Flash generator and the open-source equivalent jgenerator. It's really worth to know both sides of the web-application. I like to know what's going on in éach layer of the application. Even the flash layer. So.. start learning Flash now, because when I see Flash Remoting and FlashCom I can only say...WOW!
  28. Macromedia Flash Remoting MX Released[ Go to top ]

Don't get me wrong. I see the potential for sure.

Will have to for more "helper" tools

Geoff

29. Hi,

After looking at Flash MX I don't see much advantage to using it over the browser for many, many types of web apps.

The new UI elements basically bring FLASH up to speed with HTML forms.I guess the quick refreshing of the page can be of advantage but not much. Ok, there are some rich UI components like the date picker but to be totally honest the ASP.net UI is much better and it's HTML. In addition, to use Flash you have to learn Action Script and the Flash object model.

I haven't done any real FLASH work since 5 came out but what I discovered is that FLASH is slow to work with, it simply takes more time to create something in Flash.

Stef

30. Stefan,

"After looking at Flash MX I don't see much advantage to using it over the browser for many, many types of web apps."

You may be right if you could use only IE6. But the problem is that you have to make it work with all kind of browsers.

Many times it seems to me that the big J2EE servers takes so much energy from the developers that there isn't any left to do the client side work. Or it could be that there is not any status to work on the client side, so less experienced developers are used. Whatever the reason I seldom see anything that impress me.

Take a look on the checkout screen in the Petshop example.
    (http://examples.macromedia.com/petmarket/flashstore.html)

It is possible that you can show me something similar in quality, but I could show you hundreds of apps done with some big app server where the checkout is done with a long serie of very simple screens. If you want to change something you have to click your way back. Sometimes that is not even possible so you have to start the process all over.

How long it takes to do something of quality with a tool depends on your experience. If similar efforts and talent are used on the client side as on the server side maybe the poor users could begin to see the light.

Regards
    Rolf Tollerud
  31. JavaSWF2[ Go to top ]

There is an open source project called JavaSWF2 that may be of interest
    to developers who use both Flash and Java - http://anotherbigidea.com/javaswf/

These packages allows you to programaticaly generate swfs from Java. The one thing it really lacks is an ActionScript compiler. ActionScript support is provided through wrapper classes that allow you to write Action Codes (this amounts to assembly programming which is a long way from what Flash was intended to be!).
    According to the mailing list an ActionScript compiler is one in the pipeline.

I found JavaSWF2 easier to get to grips with than Generator and JGenerator (which I never managed to install!).
    Could anyone tell me what JGenerator's support for ActionScript is like?

32. Macromedia Flash Remoting MX Released[ Go to top ]

Have a look at netspedition.com/zulu
    Zulu is a front-end engine capable of rendering XUL documents into Flash-rich user interfaces.
    The back-end can be anything capable of generating XML documents. In our test environment we use an XSLT servlet to generate XUL documents on the fly.
    The current version supports various GUI components so forms can be easily created.
    The size is only about 100k and it's free.

Ovi
  33. Macromedia Flash Remoting MX Released[ Go to top ]

good
  34. OpenAMF project[ Go to top ]

Open source alternative:

http://www.openamf.org/