Discussions

News: HP Swings Both Ways

1. HP Swings Both Ways (13 messages)

Hot on the heals of HP's partnership announcements with BEA, HP has also announced a $50 million investment to promote and sell Microsoft's .Net framework. HP's objective is to make .Net the "No. 1 application platform" for the Proliant server line it acquired from Compaq Computer Corp. HP's partnership with BEA centers around their UX11i Servers.

Read Microsoft, HP invest $50 million to promote .Net, $50 million from HP, Microsoft for .Net.

Read HP to bundle BEA Weblogic on UX11i Servers.

Threaded Messages (13)

2. HP Swings Both Ways[ Go to top ]

This is not good for J2EE. As .NET builds up steam, we'll see more companies jump on board, like PC makers. Java vendors are too busy fighting each other. I don't see any dollard being spent to promote J2EE. Everyone is spending their money promoting Sun ONE, WebLogic, WebSphere, etc.

Microsoft knows that with enough marketing you will make money reguardless if it works or not. They'll use the money to make the product work after the fact. They always do.
  3. HP Swings Both Ways[ Go to top ]

Marketing has always been Microsoft's strength. Whether .NET is the best or not is completely irrelevant.

I don't see J2EE going anywhere for a long time, it's managed to entrench itself rather well and very few companies already using Java-based solutions are going to simply throw it all away for an MS solution, the ultimate vendor lock-in, regardless of how easy it is to convert Java to C#.

But the internal competition in the Java community is not for the better from what I can see. Not that I know how you can solve it either, as all of the organizations involved are working on a for profit basis, they can't simply give the other guy a helping hand. That illustrates the other advantage MS has. There is no "Microsoft Community" competing within itself.

On the other hand, because of the diversity and size of the Java community, we do see a great deal of innovative concepts. We have our own advantages as well.
  4. HP Swings Both Ways[ Go to top ]

"Marketing has always been Microsoft's strength. Whether .NET is the best or not is completely irrelevant."

On a balanced perspective, what is best or not has to be decided by the customers.

For big corporations, where Unix was ruling, J2EE would be the ideal choice. For small to medium companies, traditionally Windows shops, .NET is the natural choice.

And HP itself was selling Windows Boxes, so there is little wonder that they promote .NET too. And it makes a very relevant business case for them.

Many posts in this site say marketing is MS's strength. They do have technical strength. Probably their approach/security model is different.

5. HP Swings Both Ways[ Go to top ]

<quote>Many posts in this site say marketing is MS's strength. They do have technical strength. Probably their approach/security model is different.</quote>

I wasn't saying that MS doesn't have technical expertise, I am saying that MS will push .NET on the market with all its marketing strength. .NET <i>MIGHT</i> be the greatest thing since whatever came before sliced bread. It <i>MIGHT</i> be a steaming pile of elephant poo. Not having worked with it first hand, I'm reluctant to form an opinion on it. The point was, MS will push it, and it will succeed in spite of its strengths or flaws.
  6. HP Swings Both Ways[ Go to top ]

<Quote>
    It <i>MIGHT</i> be a steaming pile of elephant poo. Not having worked with it first hand, I'm reluctant to form an opinion on it.
    </Quote>

It <i>MIGHT</i> be a working product too. DCOM and DTS were there before EJB. We cannot afford to underestimate the competition.

For J2EE to grow, we need competition, within and outside.

Cheers,
    Elango
  7. HP Swings Both Ways[ Go to top ]

<Quote>
    Java vendors are too busy fighting each other. I don't see any dollard being spent to promote J2EE. Everyone is spending their money promoting Sun ONE, WebLogic, WebSphere, etc.
    </Quote>

Comply and Compete - That was the mantra, isn't it ? Competition would lead to better App Servers.

<Quote>
    Microsoft knows that with enough marketing you will make money reguardless if it works or not. They'll use the money to make the product work after the fact. They always do.
    </Quote>

Mere marketing alone cannot sustain for ever. You need to have a working product to back it up. Hope ultimately J2EE would prevail.

In my view, both J2EE and .Net will be there, providing a good balance.

8. HP Swings Both Ways[ Go to top ]

I don't think HP is thinking about promoting .NET. They already have a tie up with BEA. All they care about is compete with IBM in hardware market. I think this is a good business strategy on their part and we shouldn't read too much into it.

J2EE has a huge developer comunity, it will take quite some effort from Microsoft to promote .Net. Although I do feel they might be able to succeed to get good chunk of the middleware market.
  9. HP Swings Both Ways[ Go to top ]

It makes sense for HP. It's trying to become a objective hardware and software services provider instead of trying to be zealot. There are situations where Microsoft solution makes sense and there are many situation where JAVA kicks butt.
  10. HP Swings Both Ways[ Go to top ]

There's a hefty article over at The Register, which deconstructs HPs approach. It talks about HPs lack of middleware, lack of R&D and its gradual disintegration into just another Microsoft VAR.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/7/27282.html
  11. HP Swings Both Ways[ Go to top ]

You have to remember that HP = old HP + old Compaq. Compaq was MS's favorite computer maker, so that part of HP is always going to be close to MS. I think HP will go as many ways possible for them to try to be relevant and get corporate IT's attention.
  12. HP Swings Both Ways[ Go to top ]

I know there are lot of M$ trolls in this site who are arrogant as hell to believe that Java is the best platform around. Java is going live well in the enterprise world regardless of M$ which is still full on bluff on .Net. .Net is still running on hype it has alot of issues to resolve it is real immature and it will be for long time (.Net = .Not) . But on the other side Java Community has to come together to spread the gospel word of Java. I am kinda of amazed that HP is shipping .Net but sooner or later will find it just another MTS or ecomm server for MS. But HP's key model is hardware it doesnt care for what platform it uses. I would like HP/Compaq to also ship Linux desktops with office solution if they want be in same level field as a hardware vendor.
  13. If Sun certifies JBoss, .NET will be .NOT!
  14. Jboss[ Go to top ]

There is a need for a volume platform in the J2EE space to offer a viable alterntive to Microsoft's pervasive strategy... and Jboss does seem to be the only real alternative there given other vendor biases as well as business models...

Bob