TSS Cartoon: Gates Battles McNealy in Star Wars Showdown

Discussions

News: TSS Cartoon: Gates Battles McNealy in Star Wars Showdown

1. A new Tales From TheServerSide cartoon has been posted. "The Showdown" features Bill Gates and Scott McNealy battling it out in a 'classic' dual which could determine the future of J2EE. Will Microsoft be humbled by our hero, or will J2EE ultimately go over to The Dark Side?

Check out "The Showdown" here

Threaded Messages (77)

2. The idea was good, but the ending was pretty bad. First, is there any truth to it? It's really only funny if there's truth behind it. I don't think Sun or Microsoft really see Web Services as a way to solve interop problems between .NET and Java. They see web services as a way to try to dominate a developing new market.
  3. Web Services are (will be) the best way to integrate between .NET and Java, in my opinion. The most popular of which are the integrating the quick and easy VB front end with a J2EE backend.

Floyd
  4. I am waiting for the day that we can use VB as the front end and J2EE as the back end, this would be so cool. Java GUI Application is so slow compare to VB and harder to develop too.

Duc
  5. <Q>I am waiting for the day that we can use VB as the front end and J2EE as the back end, this would be so cool. Java GUI Application is so slow compare to VB and harder to develop too.
    </Q>

A VB frontend? Maybe a VB.Net or C# (maybe). How much VB and Java have you really done? Not talking years experience but experience doing real OO type stuff? VB is horrible for that. And doing a good UI in VB isn't that quick. Aligning things and then adding a field afterwards. And to do components you have to do UserControls - yuck.

And I have done VB to Java, Java to VB, VB to VB and Java to Java projects with XML over HTTP. The Java to Java were the easiest. (I've used VB for 3 times as long as Java) We just cranked out a simple Java app that uses Java serialization with a Swing frontend. We could easily switch to Web Services with out changing the GUI or 'backend'.
  6. Mark,
    I know I haven't done as much OO programming as you are, infact I am just a student. Let me try it again.

<Q>I am waiting for the day that we can use VB as the front end and J2EE as the back end, this would be so cool. Java GUI Application is so slow compare to VB and harder to develop too.
    </Q>
    What I mean was VB.NET. Not VB. I do realize that VB doesn't truly support OO Stuff. First of all, the reason I post that message just because I think there is a need for it out there. I totally agree with whatever you say because if you are developing a system from scatch then you have all the options of Languages and platform. But what if your client want you to integrate what they have to something in J2EE then what would you do. You are not going to tell them to completely swith from one platform to another do you?

And again, I think we should all come here to express our opinion and to learn from one another experience, not to pick on MS or SUN or developer etc. I have to admit that I learn far more from this forum compare to what've learn in school for 4 years, because this is real world experience. Your reply to my message doesn't make me feel stupid at all, it just tell me that you are Mr know it all.

Duc
  7. What I mean was VB.NET. Not VB.

Ok. They are different so a distinction needs to be made.

<q>I do realize that VB doesn't truly support OO Stuff.
    </Q>
    And the IDE doesn't help much either.

<Q> First of all, the reason I post that message just because I think there is a need for it out there. I totally agree with whatever you say because if you are developing a system from scatch then you have all the options of Languages and platform. But what if your client want you to integrate what they have to something in J2EE then what would you do. You are not going to tell them to completely swith from one platform to another do you?
    </Q>

If one is writing a VB.Net App - they are more than likely 'writing from scratch'. If it is a VB6 app - then to use webservices with a Java backend will more than likely require a rewrite.

If a client asks me to intergrate a system (something I do) then I will tell them the implications of their decisions. If they are willing to accept the risks then I do what the ask (or not do the project). It might be better for then to switch platforms - or head in that direction.

Webservices are a way to communicate between systems. Not always the best and not always what should be considered first. I don't think there is much a need for Web Services as people think. To me, that seems to be the point of the cartoon. Web services are more useful interlanguage.

<Q>
    And again, I think we should all come here to express our opinion and to learn from one another experience, not to pick on MS or SUN or developer etc. I have to admit that I learn far more from this forum compare to what've learn in school for 4 years, because this is real world experience. Your reply to my message doesn't make me feel stupid at all,
    </Q>

My post wasn't meant to make you feel stupid. It is difficult to type expressively. I was just pointing anyone with good experience with both toolsets and attempting to do anything complicated and with a good architectual design that minimizes duplicated code and places for failure would realize that this concept is false.

<Q>
     it just tell me that you are Mr know it all.
    </q>

<Fact>I'm not a know-it-all.</Fact> <HumorousTransition>You must thinking of my wife</HumorousTransition>
    It just may say that I know or have had more experience. And there are many who know and have more than me.
  8. Try VB .net or better C#
    dont speak about VB 4.0 or Vb5.0 its like java 1.1
  9. <Q>
    Try VB .net or better C#
    </Q>

Read down the thread a little further.
    BTW, I've tried them both

<Q>
    dont speak about VB 4.0 or Vb5.0 its like java 1.1
    </Q>

Why? Will I be insulting VB or Java? I was talking about VB6 (I've used VB3-6)
  10. I have used vb extensively. I have not seen a better front end tool than VB. You do not need OO for designing front end forms.

As far as calling out to a j2ee server/app there are a lot of COM bridges available. Even weblogic has one.

11. <Q>
    I have used vb extensively. I have not seen a better front end tool than VB. You do not need OO for designing front end forms
    </Q>

How about programming them? :)

VB6 is good for quick and dirty. One may not NEED OOD/OOP for front ends but one can build much better ones with it. To get close one had to use UserControls to [horribly] emulate what I can do easily with JPanels.

Considering OO principles when designing and programming UIs is just as important as Domain objects.
  12. And then we can have even more ms and vb born virii, worms and trojans than ever b4.
  13. Um, a Delphi front-end with a J2EE back end might be more sensible.
  14. I like the cartoons. Not the funniest things in the world, but mildly humorous. Well worth continuing. The reactions of some of the other posters seems, to me, somewhat excessive.

Please continue the cartoons. Certainly, always try to make them better, but I wouldn't get too bent out of shape if you don't reach the level of The Simpsons or Dilbert. I mean, you're keeping your day job, right? So "somewhat funny" is good enough. Certainly funnier than a lot of the comics in the Chronicle.

The more vociferous here bring "The Comic Book Guy" to mind.

It did bother me that, using Netscape 7.0, I got a "cookies are not enabled" error when taking the survey. ;)
  15. Hail Web Services!!![ Go to top ]

Be it Delphi or VB front-End, and be it J2EE or .Net or a Legacy in the middle/backend. Let all languages and platforms co-exist, thanks to web services!

Use any combination that suits the project at hand or your client wants.

Every language/platforms have their pros and cons. There's no such a thing that is be-all-and-end-all. If that's the case, all people in the world would be talking only in English! :)

Companies can fight. The architects need not get religious and belligerent.

Languages/platforms come and go. But concepts remain.

Peace,
    Elango

16. Hail Web Services!!![ Go to top ]

Hey Erik, be democratic. If it doesn't like for these cartoons, it doesn'n watch them. I propose that they clear the interview with Tyler because I do not like his face.
  17. I got a great idea for a cartoon[ Go to top ]

Hey, you know what would really be funny? Gates' teenage dating scene, and it would be extremely easy to illustrate it too. Just present a blank page, with a caption indicating we're discussing his non-existent dating scene.

I know what you MS-Supporter are thinking, but you can't really compensate what is in your pants with what is in your bank.

Just taking a mick out of it,
    Noc
  18. Java GUI's are not, repeat NOT slow. Most GUI designers I encounter professionally are morons that wouldnt know how to design a good GUI if you beat them over the head with the entire O'Reilly collection.

Im really tired of hearing programmers blame the language for their own incompetence. If you would put away the JBuilder GUI generator and the other equally worthless tools of its like, you might actually understand what was going on in the GUI. God forbid.

I am sick of third rate developers pronouncing doom and judgement as if they were the sages of the wise. I constantly develop Java GUIs using sophisticated techniques and they run as fast as lightning. But then again, I know what Im doing, unlike most of the grasshopper hacks out there, many of whom seem to read this board.

.NET is another attempt in a LONG line of attempts that Microsoft is making to use its monopoly to drive competition and innovation out of the market. It is another theft of technology. Another example of why Microsoft has never invented ANYTHING. And once again, many of you are falling for it. How many times do you have to put your hand on the stove to know it burns?
  19. and why in all this is the assumption that a client is needed at all. Sure there could be apps that need a complex client interface and thus create the business req. of coding something taht will run on the client. But I have yet to come across the business app that truly needed it. I have coded ASP web pages and JSP web pages depending on the platform used. I found both to be useful and easy enough to work in once you get the hang of it - and if you know what you are doing the "client app' of a simple web browser is easily understood by users nad all the training focuses on actually doing the work outlined in the Business Requirements Doc, not on "running/using" the client.

Also I might add that I have never met a VB app (have not done anything with .net so do not know it) that ran correctly and trouble free across an enterprise, nor have I met a Java applet that ran successfullly in an enterprise setting. So to sum up - if you are already running a Java or .net app server then why not just add in the web server adn let the app server do the work and let your users have the ease of surfing the app. if you want more client processing muscle then perhaps a plug-in like macromedia flash MX or curl will fit the bill.

Web services should strictly be used to distribute transactional ability across business domains. IE the middleware developed by one domain has access/transactions to a decisioning system already built. another department finds a Bus. req. to use the decisioning system - rather than reinvent the wheel the two business domains get togetehr and no matter the systems they use agree on some web services APIs to let the other department gain access to the decisioning system.
  20. Java GUI's aren't necessarily slow, they're just slower than their native counterparts and require more knowledge to develop. In other words, companies that embrace Java GUIs have to shell out the cash to pay for "first rate" programmers like you (if we give you the benefit of the doubt and take your word that you actually do know what you're doing). In most cases the clients are running on a single platform (Wintel), so the "write once run anywhere" promise of Java clients is not an advantage.

So why would anyone want a product that is slower than than competition, has benefits that aren't needed and costs more to produce ?
  21. Web services are junk. We tried to use Axis on Java to communicate with MSSOAPToolkit on ASP. The tools are pitiful. Axis generated a WSDL with no type for one class but then gives it a type when it's serialized. Microsoft can't deserialize non-standard types withotu a whole lot of custom coding.

Not to mention, I have this icky feeling I'm returning to functional programming where my data has pretty much no contraints or behavior.
  22. IMHO - and an opinion that is certain NOT to be shared by many others :)... Microsoft successfully used Web Services to throw J2EE application server vendors and Sun off their game.

I think what IT was looking for over the last several years was a competitive J2EE application server marketplace filled with scalable, bug free, RELIABLE application servers on which to deploy software. Instead we can count on one hand the number of production ready offerings that are even up-to-date standards wise - let alone battle ready wrt quality.

In the meantime vendors have been in a panic to try and come up with an interesting Web Services story to pitch to their customers.

Gates really is more the Emperor (Senator Palpatine)... and the J2EE vendors are the bumbling Jedi council trying to figure out the Phantom Menace. hmmmm That makes Darth Vader.... Steve Balmer... PERFECT! Right down to the crome dome.
  23. This would be funnier if instead of the sunset, the two hit the showers and shared a bar of SOAP... and then one dropped the bar of SOAP...
  24. <William Baity>
    This would be funnier if instead of the sunset, the two hit the showers and shared a bar of SOAP... and then one dropped the bar of SOAP...
    </William Baity>

Now *that's* funny!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAH --- Oh Gawd, this whole thread is a blast!
  25. <William Baity>
    This would be funnier if instead of the sunset, the two hit the showers and shared a bar of SOAP... and then one dropped the bar of SOAP...
    </William Baity>

Now *that's* funny!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAH --- Oh Gawd, this whole thread is a blast!

That IS funny. Especially since MS has ROPE for their SOAP.
    I think William Baity should be coming up with the cartoon ideas.
  26. <Q>
    Web services are junk. We tried to use Axis on Java to communicate with MSSOAPToolkit on ASP. The tools are pitiful. Axis generated a WSDL with no type for one class but then gives it a type when it's serialized. Microsoft can't deserialize non-standard types withotu a whole lot of custom coding.

Not to mention, I have this icky feeling I'm returning to functional programming where my data has pretty much no contraints or behavior.
    </Q>

I'm with you on this Brian. I try to tell everyone the same thing. It is difficult to do a good OO system using Web Services (if at all). It is a step back. For those who can easily fit web services into their system (esp. cross development platform) without having a lot of issues (known ones) or alot of work - well, it points out how much [little] OOD/OOP they probably are doing.
  27. Or the opposite
    a GUI java application querying via web services on a .Net advanced Server with C# inside ...
  28. I dunno, I liked the ending. I think it is especially humorous if you don't take it literally but rather facetiously.
  29. Man oh man, that is some really bad nerd humour.

What is seems to say is that that Luke (McNealy) succumbs to the dark side and joins forces with Darth (Gates) and they go off to forge a new Empire together.

So Open Source would then be the last remaining pockets of the rebellion, right?
  30. And did you notice that McNealy fell down before he succumbed ?!!!!!!!!
  31. So did Luke...
  32. I think the first cartoon posted was better than this one.
  33. I'm still missing a good punchline in both of them.
  34. I think its a good idea of showing the battle between J2EE and .NET to programmers. Because programmers will learn both to get a job in the market.

My openion J2EE is best when compared to .NET

Uma
    Java Developer
    http://www.javagalaxy.com
  35. Dont spit in the soup[ Go to top ]

" J2ee better than .Net "

Why ? they provide us (as Inf. Technicians) our job our money.
    As we say in french :
    Ne crachez pas dans la soupe: "Dont spit in the soup "
    PL/1, Cobol, Vb, and now C# on Unix, Bull, NT, MTS, CICS j2EE .Net...
    they feed me for long long years.

I sucpect the web admin to maintain this type of discussion (Ms/Java) to get audience and
    Remove these discussion and the forum seems flat.

There is no dark side on the moon , really ...

36. These are so lame cartoons.Dont do it guys just for the heck of doing it.I like serverside.com so dont make me not to like it.
  37. Hey Tim,

Why don't you suggest some cartoon ideas and we'll be sure to 'publish' them!

Floyd
  38. Thats precisely my point Floyd.I dont want to be mean or negative ; but I dont think I am in minority for not liking these cartoons.These just dont evoke a laugh.
    So dont take it personal.
  39. <Q>
    These just dont evoke a laugh.
    </Q>
    It wasn't meant to.

<Q>
    So dont take it personal
    </Q>
    He seems to be taking it pretty good. I could understand if he is a little upset because you basically threatened to quit coming to the ServerSide because of a 'cartoon' [that you didn't get].
  40. Mark...Mark...Mark!!! you are all over the place answering posts directed to you, to Floyed and to everybody else :-)
  41. Do I have permission to answer this one? :)

If one answers for himself he is taking things personal. If one answers for [defends] others then he is being nosey.

Still lookin for the 'punchline'? If you were in the Web Services conversation I am current in, you would get the 'punchline'.

As for being all over the place - I'm no different in person. I probably need some Ritalin. :)
  42. I say keep em goin. Who cares if they work or not, at least you are trying, and some will work.

TSS needs content, and this is as good as some of the patterns that are posted..... In fact of the 10 topics in the news page this was the 2nd I looked at. Cos it's funny to read the stuff folks say.

Jonathan

43. Guys,

TSS is not putting these cartoons up for our own amusement, we're putting them up for you guys, to make TSS a cooler place.

So, since I've gotten such mixed feedback, we'll put up a user poll soon next week to determine exactly how many people like or dislike the cartoons.

Floyd
  44. I have a suggestion for the next ones.

Be Offensive and dogmatic and be on the J2EE/Linux side.

Most folks here know the world is place with many shades of grey, but everyone enjoys certainty. So rather than make heroes out of Sun and get them to cooperate with msoft, do stuff about .net proggers failing again and again. Do stuff about VB being totally rubish for all time, do stuff about msoft buying good companies cos they can't do it themselves, etc etc.

Who cares how true it is, play to this community, who enjoy a good laugh at corporate expence : mainly msoft, but also sun and ibm and hp and bea etc. Make open source and java the clear heroes and stop choosing corporates as the themes. Actually a better slant is to make the corporates and their techs the buffoons. And don't worry about being even handed. A good laugh is always at someones expense.

Now where are those lawyers...

Jonathan
  45. "TSS's new Cartoon series "Tales of TSS" has received mixed reviews. We're interested in what you think about the cartoons, your input will be instrumental in the continuation or ending of this feature. Please take a couple of minute to answer the survey below:
    Yes, definitely!
    Yes. Consider improving the content.
    No. It's not worth it!
    I don't care."

"Yes, definitely" *what*? What exactly is the poll question - "Should we keep them?" or "Should we scrap them?" Makes quite a difference to which way I should vote...
  46. Yes. Consider improving the content.

I like the comment of Jonathan just before. Make Java/OpenSource the heros and trash MS a lot and Sun a little...
  47. I saw the first one in silence, but now this. This is freakin terrible. And I REALLY like theserverside. Someone on this thread said something like: "come on, isn't leaving athe place a bit of an overreaction to them having a geeky cartoon?". My answer to that is definitely NO. Beacuse:

1. This is an insultant to my intellect, especially since the attitude in the cartoon is exactly the sort I do not need, that is, the classic "clash-of-the-titans-my-dad-can-beat-your-dad" attitude that iritates me so much in arguments in real life. Stay of way from the marketing cliches PLEASE.

2. I got embarrased. I actually closed the browser after viewing the cartoon, since I didn't want anybody to see what I was looking at. I'd NEVER tell any friend of mine, technical or non-technical, about this site, since they would laugh at me at what I seem to enjoy.

3. The cartoon is an insult to the medium (cartoons) itself, which I have quite high thoughts of. This is the sort of cartoon that really lowers the reputation of the medium.

4. It's complete nonsence to make a cartoon about the subject, because it just ain't funny. It's as funny as e-mails with the header "Ten reasons why beer/cucumbers/cars are better than men/women/dogs".

What's next, short novels about how someone made the day with J2EE, complete with action, romance and excitement?!?
  48. Seriously, this is an embaressment[ Go to top ]

Suggestion for next months [editorial] 'cartoon'.

Java developer at computer pulls up TheServerSide.
    Sees link to cartoon and pulls it up.
    Starts getting red in the face and yells - "I don't get it! It isn't funny!"
    Head explodes.
    .Net developer walks up, sees the mess and says - "See, I knew .Net was easier".
  49. If it's a vote you want, I thought the cartoon was stupid as was said earlier it wasn't even based on truth.

If it matters I would suggest stopping them or try hiring someone with better skills at developing them including the artist since it seems to be copied from Saturday Night Lives attempt to be funny with their gay batman and robin cartoons.

No hostility, just constructive feedback.
  50. Seriously. PLEASE end this now. It is embarrising. Seriously.
  51. Uhhhh... yeah.
  52. I agree - take it away !!!
  53. "It is embarrising. Seriously."

It is indeed embarrassing. That and the old J2EE jokes thread, I'm not sure the J2EE community needed this... The graphic style is nice but the plot tension/release is seriously poor. And userfriendly.org already occupies the market niche! ;-)

Yann
  54. Again the clueless show up. I think you need to have a subtitled version or one with explainations for them.

Here is my take on it. All the 'fighting' etc. going on between the two camps. And then web services shows up and all is 'peachy'. And they walk into the sunset hand-in-hand. For those who can't read into things or interpret them - One interpretation would be 'Yeah right. That is what is happening. Next Web services will bring peace to Palestine.' Another would be they are faking it and if you look closely you can see they actually have knifes at each others backs. Of course the sunset makes it difficult to see that. :)

"Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you." Matthew 7:6

55. As far as I'm concerned - some cartoons are designed to be funny (hahahah-funny), other cartoons are designed to be something else (sad/dark/sadistic/vintage...). I guess the TSS cartoons fall somewhere in the latter category. There is no need to analyze the fun in it, is there?
  56. Analyze the fun in it? No.
    Analyze the truth in it? Yes.

Of course, to some sadistic/etc. is funny.

Has anyone here taken Literature and passed it? For those who have, lets start analyzing the cartoon for those who can't. Ok, what does anyone get from frame one? Two lone figures on precipices ... Is the one shouting the truth or what he wants the other to hear to upset him? Why are they up there by themselves. Ok, enough of that. How does this compare to Star Wars and what can we gather from that?
  57. Again the clueless show up. I think you need to have a >subtitled version or one with explainations for them.

Me clueless? Mark--you said that after the first cartoon, but this time even more want them gone. These cartoons *are* lame and embarrassing to TSS. What is Floyd going to do next--allow us to download MP3's of him singing opera? ;)

>Another would be they are faking it and if you look >closely you can see they actually have knifes at each >others backs. Of course the sunset makes it difficult to >see that. :)

Nice try--but there's no knives in the cartoon at the end. The cartoon doesn't work.

Glen
  58. What is Floyd going to do next--allow us to download MP3's of him singing opera? ;)

Hmm.... Interesting idea. If I could sing about J2EE then I guess that could be a good idea. :) First I have to learn how to sing, unless I take a milli-vanilli approach.

Floyd
  59. The .... pain.... must .. stop... please.. no more...~*
  60. one acronym says it all : OMG!
  61. <Q>
    Me clueless? Mark--you said that after the first cartoon, but this time even more want them gone. These cartoons *are* lame and embarrassing to TSS. What is Floyd going to do next--allow us to download MP3's of him singing opera? ;)
    </q>

I think it still holds true. You don't think most of the discussions that go on here are even more lame and embarassing? I think this is a step up. It looks like less people, so far, have posted and want them gone. If he does an opera on topic, then ok.

<Q>
    Nice try--but there's no knives in the cartoon at the end.
    The cartoon doesn't work.
    </Q>

You don't see any? So that means there aren't any? Now try it with your minds eye. It doesn't work on you. I think this really points out how little most people can think outside their area of 'knowledge'. Obviously we need more of this to help those who need it. ;)

Mark
  62. No I don't see any. Not even with my minds eye. I guess that means I can't think outside my area of 'knowledge' and need someone to help me.

BTW, are you on drugs? It might explain your belligerence.

-Scott
  63. <Q>
    No I don't see any. Not even with my minds eye.
    </Q>
    Well I feel sorry for you. Take up painting or music. It might help. :)

</Q>
    I guess that means I can't think outside my area of 'knowledge' and need someone to help me.
    </Q>
    Yep. (Maybe not - but the indications aren't good)

<Q>
    BTW, are you on drugs?
    </Q>
    Nope.

<Q>
    It might explain your belligerence.
    </Q>
    Are you? Would that explain your belligerence?
  64. Fantastic drawing by the artist... very nice. But I have just one thing to say about the introduction.... Mr McNealy is NOT my hero. HE IS AN EMBARASSMENT. He is reactionary, inconsistent and bad for Sun (and probably therefore also bad for J2EE).

for (int i=0; i<Integer.MAX_VALUE; i++) {
        Heh heh... Ho Ho.... Scott McNealy has got to go.
    }

Maybe the poll should be for "Who IS the J2EE Community's hero?"
  65. that was the dumbest cartoon ever. the characters didnt even look like who they were supposed to be. not only was it geeky, it wasnt even funny.
  66. What??? TRUSTING the Daqrk Side to stick to a deal???? Have you actually WATCHED Star Wars??? :) I like the cartoons, perhaps it was meant as a sarcastic ending? Or an "only in cartoon land" thing? The Dark Empire is like Vader from Star Wars and the Borg from Star Trek combined.... "Come to the Dark Side or you shall be assimilated!" Just my humble opinion! :)
  67. Please stop devaluing this site
  68. Cool stuff.I think this is going to be the ending rightly mentioned as both of them are strong enough to get along and to give services interoperatibbility is a must.
  69. At first, I did not care much for the cartoons. However as the visuals are interesting and crisp, I must admit that I look forward to the TSS cartoons :-)

My opinion about patterns: A design pattern is not a language feature, therefore the allusion that design patterns don't exist in .NET or that J2EE patterns are the only way to "pattern", if you will, is not IMHO tenable.

I believe, however, that the dialog needs more work.I would appreciate if the writer could avoid words such as "dumb" in the cartoons, in the spirit of political correctness :-).

Thanks.

70. Floyd,

The first two cartoons was not perfect but it is terrible difficult to be funny. I am sure that sooner or later they will be hitting bull’s eye.

Why not a weekly poll? There is no shortage of interesting subjects..

TSS is the best forum on the web. Keep up the good work!

Regards
    Rolf Tollerud
  71. Floyd,

Keep it going, but definitely these cartoons need to be improved with fun burst. Take suggestion from Disney!
  72. Come on try to be funny please and not clumsy U guy's need to learn Swing is beautiful and owerfull then VB but VB is fast your cartoon quality is good or cool but funny No as slowe as Swing Tune up to VB buddy
  73. Why do developers have to over analyize cartoons and take things so literally. The satire is great. Enjoy the humor for the fun that it is. I for one, like the cartoons and hope they stay.
  74. I like the 6th picture, Gates saying "Come with me to the dark side of the server"! If you think through this phrase, you'll capture what Gates actually still needs to accomplish: getting a grip on the server side where reports already shown that J2EE is having a strong hold.

But basically we must admit that's the only side where Java is having a strong and gaining hold in contrast to Microsoft. The other sides (Swing, AWT, J2ME, ...), let's face it, we're not better than the other side. Okay, some decent examples exists, but really let's be honest, they're kind of white raven if you compare it with the lots of Microsoft Client Apps existing and being used by LOTS of people.

Before i got in to Java, i principally did a lot of developement for Win32 apps within Delphi. And i still have to admit, that writing client apps was much more easier for this platform than using Swing or Stuff like that. So why not giving each platform it's own side?

Don't try to rule the world with anything. Try to get to best of everything for anything!
  75. How many .NET developers does it take to screw in a light bulb? Just one, but it has to be a microsoft compatible light socket and light bulb. The light bulb can work on any voltage or wattage.

How many Java developers does it take to screw in a light bulb? 3
           One to implement the light bulb interface,
           One to implement the socket specification
           One to write the installation code.

How can any light bulb work with a Microsoft socket?
           If we can get someone to implement a Web Services adapter to the Microsoft socket, then we can plug any light bulb in. But it will take 5 minutes to react when you flip the switch.

;-)
  76. Why not create a battle between technologies... we also can learn and have funny..

Something like a Ring, where they fight until death.

EJB x JDO
    Struts x Turbine
    Tiles x Velocity
    Websphere x Weblogic
    J2EE x .Net
    Java Pet Store x .Net Pet Store

and so..
  77. EJB x JDO

> Struts x Turbine
    > Tiles x Velocity
    > Websphere x Weblogic
    > J2EE x .Net
    > Java Pet Store x .Net Pet Store

Yeah that'll be great. Off course you, guys, have to make more scenarios, who'll win, lose or draw? :)
  78. TSS Cartoon: Gates goes OpenSource[ Go to top ]

Bill Gates, in his fairly slow way of catching on in his old age, finally realized that IBM and Sun were making bold moves into the OpenSource community with support for Linux, and decided that the idea might be worth a shot.

In a daring move to maintain monopoly power over the computer industry Microsoft released Microsoft Linux, Microsoft JBoss, and Microsoft OpenOffice among other open source software products and created a monopoly of software and services for the products through a well planned, heavily financed marketing campaign that embraces the OpenSource and Java communities giving Microsoft a large pool of developers who work on their products for free and espouse the benefits of allowing software to fly free around the world!

In a related story throngs of open source developers who revolted against Microsoft's embracement of the open source movement marched through cities of the world carrying signs stating "Will program for food."

Among the crowds a ragged Scott McNealy was seen carrying a sign which stated "Microsoft Solaris is full of holes." Asked whether he regretted giving Java away for free McNealy mumbled incoherently for several minutes with the phrase "make money" interspersed among his ravings.

Steve Jobs was seen at demonstrations in various cities in California offering work at Apple to the marching developers. He stated he planned to work with Marc Andresson of Netscape fame to conquer Microsoft once and for all. Asked why he planned to use the same strategy that failed him in the 80's, failed Netscape in the 90's and failed Sun in recent years Jobs replied, "What do you mean it failed? It worked for a couple of years in each case. That's all we need, is a couple of years and we can take them."

A representative from IBM made a statement to the press saying "Microsoft did this to us with the PC operating system in the late 70's and O/S 2 in the late 80's so it was definitely something we should of expected. Gates is obviously a little less stupid than us but we are still fairly smart."

In a commentary by Bill Gates on 60 minutes he stated "I know I said the Internet was never going to be anything in the early 90's and that OpenSource was bad when it started out. I was becoming lazy at that time being so rich that I didn't really need to pay attention to where technology was heading. But I'm my old self now, you can be assured of that. It's business as usual."