Discussions

News: JOnAS 2.6 Open Source J2EE 1.3 Server Released

1. ObjectWeb has announced the release JOnAS 2.6. JOnAS is an open source implementation of the J2EE spec. The new release provides full J2EE 1.3 support, through three new services: web container, mail, and ear.

Check out JOnAS 2.6.

More info
    -------------------------
    Compared to previous versions, JOnAS 2.6 provides the following enhancements:

- JOnAS becomes a J2EE platform by the introduction of three new services listed below
    - the "web container service" for deploying J2EE compliant web components
    - the "mail service" used by J2EE components for sending/receiving e-mails
    - the "ear service" for deploying J2EE applications packaged in EAR files
    - a new command ("jonas") for both starting, halting and administering a server
    - dynamic choice of the ORB to use (rmi, jeremie or david)
    - Jetty as a JOnAS service
    - new organisation for jar files
    - use of Ant 1.5 with a JOnAS ejbjar task
    - an howto for configuring a "cluster" of JOnAS servers with
    Apache/Tomcat/mod_jk
    - bug fixes

More information on the JOnAS website.

Threaded Messages (19)

2. I saw on the release notes in the web site that it still does not support CMP 2.0 yet. When do they plan to support it?
  3. I heard from one of the Jonas folks it is to be in a few weeks. Going to port Liferay Portal over to it as soon as Jonas has CMP.
  4. The missing CMP feature is a killer for this product. One of the most important parts is missing.
    But after CMP is inlcuded, I'll give it a try.
  5. CMP 1.1 + MDB are already supported in JOnAS. Only local interface and relationship are missing.

LoDe.
    http://openuss.sourceforge.net
  6. LoDe,
    Jonas supports Local interfaces since version 2.5
    regards
  7. How can they say they offer full j2ee 1.3 support without cmp 2.0?

Cheers
    Ray
  8. Sorry it is my mistake: JOnAS 2.6 provides J2EE 1.3 support *except* CMP 2.0.

The support of CMP 2.0 is planned to be avalaible on October/November 2002. See http://www.objectweb.org/jonas/workplan.html

9. The MVCSoft Persistence Manager v. 1.2 provides full EJB 2.0 CMP for Jonas, at $199/developer. See www.mvcsoft.com for details (where you can also download the 285 page PDF product documentation, or see some screen shots of a GUI mapping tool).
  10. Hmmm, not bad so far.

Pity it does not seem to accept standard ejb Jars without
    having the jonas deployment descriptor, unlike JBoss.

Also, no hot-deployable functionality, ulike JBoss.
  11. Also, no hot-deployable functionality, ulike JBoss

Depends on what you call "hot deploy". Actually with JOnAS you can deploy or re-deploy ears, jars or wars while the server is running by using the administration tool.

Regards,

Fran├žois
  12. well, I read the documentation , and it looks easy to understand. however, there is no troubleshooting section where if you run into a problem you can look it up.

I downloaded JOnAS, and did everything the documentation told me to do, but it wouldn't run! humm , I wonder if I missed something. well, I did the following :

>jonas check
    The JOnAS environment seems correct.
    >jonas start

C:\ObjectWeb\JONAS\bin\nt>main : RegistryManager.start : Registry started on por
    t '1099'
    main : ServiceManager.startRegistry : registry service started
    javax.naming.CommunicationException. Root exception is java.rmi.ServerException
    : RemoteException occurred in server thread; nested exception is:
            java.rmi.UnmarshalException: error unmarshalling arguments; nested excep
    tion is:
            java.net.MalformedURLException: no protocol: Files/Apache
    java.rmi.UnmarshalException: error unmarshalling arguments; nested exception is:

at sun.rmi.transport.StreamRemoteCall.exceptionReceivedFromServer(Stream
    RemoteCall.java:245)
            at sun.rmi.transport.StreamRemoteCall.executeCall(StreamRemoteCall.java:
    220)
            at sun.rmi.server.UnicastRef.invoke(UnicastRef.java:354)
            at sun.rmi.registry.RegistryImpl_Stub.rebind(Unknown Source)
            at com.sun.jndi.rmi.registry.RegistryContext.rebind(RegistryContext.java
    :134)
            at com.sun.jndi.rmi.registry.RegistryContext.rebind(RegistryContext.java
    :141)
            at javax.naming.InitialContext.rebind(InitialContext.java:366)
            at org.objectweb.jonas.adm.Adm.<init>(Unknown Source)
            at org.objectweb.jonas.server.Server.start(Unknown Source)
            at org.objectweb.jonas.server.Server.main(Unknown Source)
            at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
            at org.objectweb.jonas.server.Bootstrap.main(Unknown Source)
    JOnAS error: Cannot create Adm : javax.naming.CommunicationException [Root excep
    tion is java.rmi.ServerException: RemoteException occurred in server thread; nes
    ted exception is:
            java.rmi.UnmarshalException: error unmarshalling arguments; nested excep
    tion is:
            java.net.MalformedURLException: no protocol: Files/Apache]
    JOnAS halting

I checked the port 1099 to see if it's used by another process, and it wasn't. any help in this would be grateful, although I would rather work with JBoss ;-) (no offense)
  13. Well, what you do is nothing more than spreading FUD you dumb idiot. The Jonas project has mailing lists where you can post your f*cking stack dump. And they will help very quickly. Also such dumb idiots like you.
  14. Dear Andreas Mueller,

First of All, I am sorry if my message was offtopic. I was hopeless trying to run this appliaction server. I thought I might find the asnwer here!

anyway, I have somthing for you, please read it from top to bottom. To start with, Why do you have to be so rude? Do I know you? you could have easily pointed to the Jonas' mailing list. And then you will get a nice reposed from me saying thank you. why do you have to be rude. Is this the way you learn to respond to people who is asking for help in a topic that they really don't know much about.2nd, where is the Jonas' mailing list, it's not in there site! If it was there, the I must of missed it, can you tell me where is it?
    The point is, I really think it will be helpful to this forum to delete Andreas Mueller message because this is not its place, it's place is nothing but the garbage.

Be professional when you talk to others. I challenge you if you can say this face to face to anyone. But, because you are in the internet, and no ones knows who you are, and no one going to come to your house and beat you up, you can say anything. this act of speaking non-responsible words in a public forum is only done by cowards because they know no one is going to hunt them back
  15. Your stack dump ended with this:

"I checked the port 1099 to see if it's used by another process, and it wasn't. any help in this would be grateful, although I would rather work with JBoss ;-) (no offense) "

So "although I[you] would rather work with JBoss", you throw your stack dump into TSS. That's spreading FUD in a very destruktive manner. If that was not intended by you, so you don't meant what you wrote, I apologize, of course.

Jonas' mailing list is here:

http://www.objectweb.org/wws/info/jonas
  16. It's very clear in his message that there is "no offense" intended. Adel is just comparing the installation process and running procedure with JBOSS. And in his experience he found JBOSS to be bit friendlier.
  17. And that's no excuse to calling somebody a "dumb idiot" and using slander. The freedom of expression in internet should not be misused and it will drive away decent people from commenting on TSS. I think you owe him an unconditional apology.
  18. I think you owe him an unconditional apology.

Yes, you're right. I was a dumb idiot to call him a dumb idiot. Sorry, Adel!

19. no, you are no "dumb idiot" or anything. To tell you the truth, I was very happy, and amazed at the same time to see someone welling to apologize in a public fourm. My past experience is that people will tend to argue and spend a lot of time exchanging ps. I have to tell you that you are "a man of good quality."

Away from this topic, I guess I'm still not able to setup the server :-( well, with no help I can turn to, I am going to stay with JBOSS :-)
  20. I can be misunderstood here, so I will try to clarify! I am not a "very,very" loyal fun of JBoss, and I don't hate JOnAS. In fact, I am very loyal to OSP (open source projects), and I love to see more then one open source application servers. Also, I am aware of the study done by Rice University where they have concluded that JOnAS is Faster then JBoss. I am also very sure that JOnAS is a powerful application server. I guess I wanted to try it out. But, until now, I am not able to start it. I search the mailing list and it say it is a bug. Ok, I guess I will wait until they fix it.