Borland to Acquire StarBase, Acquires BoldSoft

Discussions

News: Borland to Acquire StarBase, Acquires BoldSoft

1. Borland to Acquire StarBase, Acquires BoldSoft (8 messages)

The tools market experiences some rebalancing of power as Borland today announced its plans to acquire software Starbase Corporation (makers of Star Team source control and configuration management software). Borland earlier this week acquired Swedish company Boldsoft, makers of .NET model driven development tools. Borland will integrate BoldSoft's technology into Delphi.

On the J2EE front, Borland now boasts a tools stack including a database, appserver, IDE, source control, profiler, and management tools.

Read Borland Software to Acquire Starbase.

Read Borland acquires BoldSoft assets for .Net apps boost.
  2. Now if they could just get a decent pricing model ...
  3. Are Borland going to become like Rational? It seems like they both have similar tool sets now.
    I wonder if Borland will come up with a process too: BUP
    Maybe they will buy TogetherSoft instead of using StructureBuilder?
  4. Maybe they will buy TogetherSoft instead of using StructureBuilder?

Structure Builder is (was, ;) ) WebGain's product.

Mileta
  5. I am mixing up the vendors and who they bought.
    Shows how many buyouts occur :)
  6. Hi Dion,

I don't follow Rational much these days after using Rose for too long (unfortunately). I don't consider them really the same as Borland. Maybe your picture comes from the fact that only lately has Borland started to advertise the fact that they have other products than JBuilder.

Does Rational have a CORBA/CORBA Services Product (VisiBroker, VisiTransact, VisiNotify, VisiSecure)?

Does Rational have a J2EE Application Server (BAS, BES)?

Does Rational have a Java Database Product (JDataStore - fast lite database)?

Looking at Borland and viewing just the Java and RAD Business Units your probably unfortunately right.

Little Trade Secret: There is an Enterprise Business Unit.

As you can guess I worked with VisiBroker for a few years.

Its probably a buyers (companies, mergers) market at the moment. Borland has plenty of money in the bank to obtain some knocked down bargains (if they turn out that way when things turn around).

William
  7. <quote>
    Its probably a buyers (companies, mergers) market at the moment.
    </quote>

You bet it is! Borland is buying StarBase at just 3% premium over it current valuation ($24M for a company with market cap of $23.3M) Three years ago a premium for a similar buyout would be 60-100%.

OTOH, StarBase is a company in deep distress, losing $95M on sales of 42.5M and the only analyst covering it rates it as "moderate sell".
  8. <quote>
    You bet it is! Borland is buying StarBase at just 3% premium over it current valuation ($24M for a company with market cap of $23.3M) Three years ago a premium for a similar buyout would be 60-100%.
    </quote>

Looking at the SBAS price history, their share price was about 0.86 before acquisition announcement. Market capital was about 7.8M, so premium is actually 210%.

9. I think their process should be called BUP-kiss instead of just BUP.

-Newt